Close

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Dear Kyle: let's make an objective review of SE development, shall we?

Hi Kyle.
    I just felt it's the right time to make a serious, objective and fair evaluation of the progress this past year in Shadow Era (digital version).

I'm starting from this thread, it was opened to ask the community what features they would have wanted in the game, so to put them into the roadmap.
    Let's see what have been asked and what we have so far, shall we?
    NOTICE: that thread was closed more than a year ago, precisely 25/08/2012.

Couldn't quote from there since it's locked, so here's the list:

* Auction house (nope)
    * In-game lobby (nope)
    * Custom matches with no class/faction restrictions (nope)
    * Automated tournament queues (nope)
    * Booster draft tournaments (nope)
    * Meltdown tournaments (nope)
    * First expansion (check)
    * Single player campaign (nope)
    * Player stats (nope)
    * Separate toggle for music and sound (check, but it's bugged since FX don't really shut up)
    * Rating decay (check)
    * Improved rating system (nope)
    * Free-for-all (1 vs 1 vs 1) (nope)
    * Team play (2 vs 2) (nope)

NOTE: Some things above might not make it onto the roadmap.

Things people have mentioned on this thread (awaiting Kyle + DT input):

* Custom matches with best-of-three (nope)
    * Custom match where you can choose who goes first (nope)
    * Custom match where you can disable the turn-timer (nope)
    * Multiplayer over bluetooth or local LAN (instead of the internet) (nope)
    * Sideboards (nope)
    * Mulligan (nope)
    * Friends list (check but useless as it is now)
    * Guild tags (nope) [**]
    * Multiple save-slots per hero, with ability to name your decks (check but we still can't name our decks[*])
    * Voice chat (nope)
    * Duration marker for cards like Portal (nope)
    * Helpful visual effects - e.g. show who gained stealth/ambush/haste from Lance, show disabled differently to exhausted (check)
    * Identifier for stolen cards (sleeves? But what if none of the two players ose them?)
    * Improved AI (Nope, and it's still bugged as it was more than one year ago)
    * Completely eradicate sync errors and turn-timer bugs (waiting for Jasmine to move her beautiful ass)
    * When watching your own replays, show your cards face up (nope)
    * UI Improvements (Toggle zoom, no hidden effects, better visibility for attack / damage numbers) (nope)
    * Ability to pause and rewind replays (nope)
    * Rock/Paper/Scissors to determine who goes first (nope)
    * Bidding life or SE to determine who goes first (nope)
    * Asynchronous games (see here) (nope, I'd love it though)
    * Chess clock (total time for all your turns) (nope)
    * Achievements (nope)

NOTE: Some things above might not make it onto the roadmap.

I'll add here that indeed digital Meltdown format has been added.

Ok so: even if many of those features may not have made into the radmap, only 7 features have been introduced so far, of which one is utterly useless, one is bugged since forever and one is halfway what it shoud be.

More important:
    NO Auction house, NO improved AI (at least fix the bugs and introduce DP cards), NO achievements, NO deciding who goes first.
    [for what I remember these are the oldest and most required ones by the community]

Oh and still NO PROJECT JASMINE, announced 05-07-2013 to go live "by the end of the month" at first, then for the first week of september. Still, no sign of life.

Now, I know it's a matter of priorities, but since you have (your words) a lot of features 95% ready please: work on them one by one and introduce them! Many of them are critical, many have been required for ages, many are just nice... But at least it would show some progress.

And look, I know for a fact that a lot of people are leaving (if not already left) this game because there finally are some good competitors in the market. No need to name them, you already know, right?
    Yes, the other games have their problems too, yes they might be more expensive than Shadow Era, yes, whatever you might say about them is all true. I wanna give you that.

BUT, I have a suggestion for you: give them a look, maybe only on YouTube so that you don't have to spend a cent...
    No, better: give them a good look NOT to find things to criticize, but to see what they have that Shadow Era doesn't, or what they have that Shadow Era has but of a far less quality.
    I'm not saying this because I wanna belittle this game or this company; on the contrary, I'm just being "hard" on you guys because the game is truly deep and with a lot of potential. Sadly, though, potential is nothing if not transformed in action.

IMO, Shadow Era doesn't need much to get there. But it cannot take this long.
    Seriously, it can't.

Sincerely,
    TripleHBK

[*] about this one, let me add that it would be awesome if I could choose my deck right into the challenge screen. It's not difficult: just add a bar where my IGN is shown and the deck I have loaded. Simple, nice, useful.

[**]
    Let me add here one thing I'd personally like: guild vaults for cards, gold and crystals. Like, guild banks. This way it would be easier for new players in a guild to have cards to finish their decks, for guilds to help them have the crystals to buy a boosters, it lessen the weight on support (how many mails won't be sent to them requiring crystal movements anymore?) etc.
    Just my 2cent.
    Last edited by TripleHBK; 09-18-2013 at 12:56 PM.

1.27 Tournament Champion Raphael Majere's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    email kyle, gd points mentioned.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    You see, HBK, you complain that there are not sufficient update, but I complain that there is too much of it; SE worked fine for me before but after a recent update I get this: http://www.shadowera.com/showthread....ical-artifacts

Now I can barely play, and all of the above features are unimportant to me.
    Scrupulous Ash Collector of the Blue Phoenix.
    Warriors of the Blue Phoenix

Greatness, Reborn

Shadow Era Network - Shadow Era community hub.

Quote Originally Posted by BDK16 View Post
    You're the best Unruler!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Bhleg View Post
    No one know FS better than you, our King of FS.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Really good thread HBK, now lets see if Kyle reads it.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Hope you guys don't mind some input from a noob who hasn't even gotten past grinding out the second pre-con Elemental deck for gold.

- It doesn't seem like the developers care much about the programming that goes into this game. Sound bugs mentioned above, horrible delays when you click cards, overall a very buggy experience. From a design point, one can only wonder why there's no option to turn off the god-awful slow battle animations. (Sorry, game speed 4 still feels like watching snails fight.)

- "Free" premium currency offers that don't work is one of the major signs of a company that's obviously in it for the profit. I don't know what the situation was like when this game first started out, but that's all the vibe I'm getting from this game right now.

- I started off this game playing on iOS. I was quite excited to learn that there is a PC client, as I thought the hilarious simple client was only for mobile devices. I installed the PC version eagerly, opened it up... to find the exact same thing. Ahahahahahahahahahahaha.

- The AIs are dumb as... I don't know what is as dumb as the AIs. Please tell me they get smarter (note: not stronger with better cards, but actually smarter) as I level up more? It feels like my hero is wearing an infinite durability Mocking Armor.

- Multiplayer random DCs really turns me off.

- Maybe I'm stupid, but I can't seem to tell how long an enemy ally will remain frozen/disabled/whatever'd for. I don't want to memorize when I casted the spell/ability.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Unruler View Post
    You see, HBK, you complain that there are not sufficient update, but I complain that there is too much of it; SE worked fine for me before but after a recent update I get this: http://www.shadowera.com/showthread....ical-artifacts

Now I can barely play, and all of the above features are unimportant to me.
    Just stop entering the matrix and you'll be fine.
    iClipse - A1's Twilight Manipulator - A1 : Evolution in Theory
    Part of PFG

• My psychiatrist told me I was crazy and I said I want a second opinion. He said okay, you're ugly too.

• Just remember...if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.

• With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.

• I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not sure.

• A diplomat is someone who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you will look forward to the trip.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    A friend tells the painful truth bluntly.
    TJ Minato

TJ's Yellow Flash

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Kyle will read this Soon™ and make rightful action SOON™
    "Try and try until you die...or succeed...whichever comes first"

Jo3yb0i - Knight of Dark and Light
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Drawing Power - A Brief Analysis of Draw Cards

My PM | <(^.^)> | Helpful Links | <(^.^)> | IRC | <(^.^)> | IRC + Game | <(^.^)> | SE DeckBuilder

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Here's my less technical 2 cents..

My time for gaming is limited.. So whenever I want to play I have to choose carefully so I don't end up wasting my time..
    The question I always ask myself is, "Do I want to play this one or this one?"..
    Because of this I end up being strict with myself in choosing a game..

Lately, I've been choosing other games to play instead of SE.. It's not something technical, more of a feeling.. SE just feels less fun now..
    I just sign up to tourneys and play my games because I have to.. I check the A1/AA1 forums more than actually playing the game..

If I have to pick one reason why I feel SE is less fun now it would probably be that SE feels repetitive.. A fact made worse
    because SE has not that many playable cards that you can use for competitive play.. SE is fine when you first play it but IMO it
    needs something more so that it can hold the interest of players with the same point of view as I..

End of 2 cents..

p.s. This is a point of view from a casually competitive player with a limited time for gaming(usually just 1 hour, 2 hours max)..

A1 AGENTofSITH
    -The Eternal Acolyte of A1-

"Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do."

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by ahueahueahuea View Post
    It feels like my hero is wearing an infinite durability Mocking Armor.
    Lol. This is the most perfect way to express the ai's MO.
    A1 roustabout ~ A1's Slinking Ne'er-do-well
    A1: Evolution in Theory | www.a1-alliance.org
    I will show you fear in a handful of dust

Proleptic member of PFG3