Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    plo

Is Voltar's Ring broken?

I fear that Voltar's Ring will become quite broken in the future. Has anyone noticed this: VR increases all electrical damage(including physical). Therefore if you have an deck in which all of your allies deal electrical damage, like Death Collector and Io Void Leviathon do, then it will work like an improved version of War Banner. And if you play Nishaven with Lightning Strike and another powerful electrical card they will release in the future, then it will be much worse.

Is it broken?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    No

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    For now, it is not OP. In fact, I'd argue it is the only card that makes allied Nishaven viable.

As to the future, there would be many possible cards to hard or soft counter it, beyond just simple item destruction. Just off the top of my head, cards for other classes that reduce electrical damage; cards that manipulate damage from the other elements (like an Ignatio's Ring that does the same thing, but for fire damage); cards that negate attack bonuses (allies only attack for base damage, doesn't include bonuses like Aldon, Radiant Wisp's per attachment bonus, War Banner, etc); more cards that reduce ability damage.
    Congratulations to Preybird for designing my Avatar!

In Game Handle: Warr Byrd

Contributions to the Game:
    Flavor text for Wild Berserker: The odds are always in my favor
    PFG3: To Be Released Soon™

Tournament Wins: None, I'm Timmy Johnny not Spike!

Shout out to Gondorian, nerull7, Nikola D, plo, Preybird, Super Grover, and Zhou86 for submitting potential avatars!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    It is not broken. You shouldn't forget that the moment you have used it, you didn't do anything that turn - a turn where you could have played an ally or could have done damage instead.
    Later through the match it may get its power, but it is risky investment if you can't hold up the onslaught of enemies and don't have enough time. A reason why I just have 4x LS, FB and Nova, to not "sleep" a turn.
    Heimdall, Guardian of Asgard
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

IGN: BP Heimdall

Helpful links :: Deck builder :: IRC Channel

plo
    Quote Originally Posted by Aegir View Post
    It is not broken. You shouldn't forget that the moment you have used it, you didn't do anything that turn - a turn where you could have played an ally or could have done damage instead.
    Later through the match it may get its power, but it is risky investment if you can't hold up the onslaught of enemies and don't have enough time. A reason why I just have 4x LS, FB and Nova, to not "sleep" a turn.
    That's true now, but as the game ages and there begin to appear Nishaven decks where every ally has electrical physical damage, then it won't be the case.

With such an deck, if you have 2 allies and 5 se, then you might deal up to 4 extra damage and protect your allies.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Hmm, I was kinda thinking that once we get some new electrical damage allies for human faction then Nishaven might actually become as competitive as some of the better heroes. Nishaven with Death Collector would have been nice.

And also, I'd say that the ring is pretty near OP against Zal as is.
    A1 roustabout ~ A1's Slinking Ne'er-do-well
    A1: Evolution in Theory | www.a1-alliance.org
    I will show you fear in a handful of dust

Proleptic member of PFG3

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Fear not my friend. Everything has it's day; look at the almighty fire snake, once the the most powerful, but now doesn't hold a candle to Furrion Terror that is immune to fire and when he enters a board even with a thousand fire snake, they all will turn into roasted snakes.

To Furrion terror, fire snake is just a snake.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I think in the future it will have very many interesting interactions with other cards, but you must remember that there are also cards yet to be released that can't be accounted for, like there could be a card that reduces all elemental damage or something similar. I think that it is impossible to say right now whether or not a card, especially one so specific as voltar's ring, will be eventually overpowered.
    The bitterest truth is always better than the sweetest lie.
    If you are reading this, congratulations, you survived the end of the world.

In Game Name: PPUOD Pretty Pretty Unicorn Of Death

Member of Shadow Era Network, Shadow Era Community Hub,Join Today!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    PFG had been Wulven's insurance so far imo.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by plo View Post
    That's true now, but as the game ages and there begin to appear Nishaven decks where every ally has electrical physical damage, then it won't be the case.

With such an deck, if you have 2 allies and 5 se, then you might deal up to 4 extra damage and protect your allies.
    you're assuming that future expansions won't deal with that problem. what if i say to you that maybe in the future there will also be allies that will be immune to electricity? does that screw up your future worry? problems such as you have envisioned can be easily dealt with by adding counter cards.

as of now, the ring hardly makes Nishaven competitive. he's still a pushover.
    Want to Join A1?

A1: Evolution in Theory. To stop evolving is to die.

It is one of my greatest hopes that in the future, mankind achieves enlightenment so high we would not need rules, laws, or government to keep the peace and govern ourselves. By our own motivation and volition, we would do what is right and just because it is right and just. This is the central tenet of anarchy. Not chaos and lawlessness, but free will and self-actualization.

Visit my blog: Potpourri