Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Warr Byrd View Post
    Uncommon opinion thread ≠ troll thread. Even if the uncommon opinion is completely stupid and backwards (which his isn't), that doesn't make it a troll.
    I agree, not everything that we disagree with is trolling.

I do have to disagree with his point because DP is an expansion that was meant to build onto the core concepts of the CotC sets, not overhaul them. Really, DP didn't change the way people played all that much, just provided different options for many heroes while attempting to solve some of the issues that were lacking in the first set.
    Was the Leader of Acolytes of A1

A1's Dimensional Eyes in the Sky
    A1 Alliance: Evolution in Theory
    PFG3 Leader

Was Shadow Era Community Manager

Sota, The Switch Axe Monster Hunter

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
    "Humans fight to secure peace as they envision it. The trouble is, everyone's vision is different." - Ringabel

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    The problem with shadow era expansions is that in over two and a half years, there's only been one
    Elder TJ

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave163 View Post
    Dropping 100+ new cards into the game all at once is like cracking a walnut with a nuclear bomb. That aside, if it came down to 'deeper' or 'wider'... personally I'd rather it was wider and the core game mechanics for each hero were kept the same.

Most MtG sets are 200-250 cards, the really small ones being ~150. Even though so many cards are being introduced, with 4 sets per year, advanced players can still spot good combinations and develop strategies around unknown cards.
    "Give me an ally, and I will fight beside them.
    Give me a friend, and I will fight before them."

- IGN -
    The Spectre

Physical pre-order of: Call of the Crystals - Dark Prophecies

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Ryan View Post

Most MtG sets are 200-250 cards, the really small ones being ~150. Even though so many cards are being introduced, with 4 sets per year, advanced players can still spot good combinations and develop strategies around unknown cards.
    Exactly, it is because the good players have experience with the game that they can realize the good uses of cards from the new set ad the old set and put them to work. If the cards from another new set were so broken that older cards were useless then the heroes' individual strategies only used those and changed that dramatically, then it would create a negative effect in which good players would become "insta-n00bs". However with sets like DP, the point is to add and aid to good or bad strategies or decks, not to make the old ones inferior.
    The bitterest truth is always better than the sweetest lie.
    If you are reading this, congratulations, you survived the end of the world.

In Game Name: PPUOD Pretty Pretty Unicorn Of Death

Member of Shadow Era Network, Shadow Era Community Hub,Join Today!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thanks for the heads-up WB, I had no idea the standard business model for TCG's was to release so many new cards each year (how do they balance them?!). Im guessing the idea is to swamp the players with so many new cards that by the time the OP cards have been identified and become over-used, a new batch is released and the cycle is repeated?

ps: Im not sure why Im being accused of 'trolling'? -Im just pointing out a problem that arises when deepening the existing lines (as opposed to introducing new lines and leaving the existing lines intact). Its a shame game theory can't be discussed freely without some cretin throwing in the "troll thread" bomb.
    "I don't know how to put this, but I'm kind of a big deal"

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thanks for the heads-up WB, I had no idea the standard business model for TCG's was to release so many new cards each year (how do they balance them?!). Im guessing the idea is to swamp the players with so many new cards that by the time the OP cards have been identified and become over-used, a new batch is released and the cycle is repeated?
    yep. that's the general idea. it's their own version of planned obsolescence. the frequent massive releases combined with huge power leaps forces players who want to stay competitive to keep up, and the only way to do that is to buy new sets, thereby ensuring income for the company. it's a very profitable business model, so most TCGs are like that.
    ps: Im not sure why Im being accused of 'trolling'? -Im just pointing out a problem that arises when deepening the existing lines (as opposed to introducing new lines and leaving the existing lines intact). Its a shame game theory can't be discussed freely without some cretin throwing in the "troll thread" bomb.
    you're new to the game and i suspect also new to TCG, so let me just explain by saying that there's a running gag here in ShadowEra about the very, very long time it takes before a new set is released that players have taken to joking about it. i guess some mistook you for being sarcastic in your first post, hence them expecting you're just trolling.

also, if you're new to TCG, you probably should know that TCGs whole point is to release expansions every now and then. the game gets stale after a while if no new variable is introduced. if you don't like adapting, then perhaps you should find some other type of game to play. the reason why i like TCGs so much is that strategizing never stops. for me, 70% of the fun is in deckbuilding and theorycrafting. the other 30% is in finding my deck works. so after a while, if no new sets arrive, i'm left to twiddle my thumbs, having explored every known deck i can build.
    Want to Join A1?

A1: Evolution in Theory. To stop evolving is to die.

It is one of my greatest hopes that in the future, mankind achieves enlightenment so high we would not need rules, laws, or government to keep the peace and govern ourselves. By our own motivation and volition, we would do what is right and just because it is right and just. This is the central tenet of anarchy. Not chaos and lawlessness, but free will and self-actualization.

Visit my blog: Potpourri

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Good try, but not good enough. 3/10

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Jao View Post
    you're new to the game
    no

Quote Originally Posted by Jao View Post
    the game gets stale after a while if no new variable is introduced
    I enjoyed playing CotC up until the bitter end (even though the Eladwen spam was worse than it is today). Also, chess only has 6 different pieces, yet people are still playing it 1000 years later...
    "I don't know how to put this, but I'm kind of a big deal"

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    1/10

Also, go only has 2 different pieces, yet people are still playing it 2500 years later...

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyPuppy View Post
    1/10

Also, go only has 2 different pieces, yet people are still playing it 2500 years later...
    I love go, but I'm pretty sure I suck at it (at least I know that, right?).

On topic, I agree with the consensus here; expansions are not a bad thing. Some people are perfectly satisfied with the status quo, but it's always nice to shake things up a bit. Plus, as others have pointed out, it's the only way a TCG makes money (well, almost the only way).
    Proud member of Team Juggernauts | PFG member

IGN: TJ Xantese