Close

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

ShadowEra vs Hearthstone

There are 3 primary gameplay differences that I see between the two gamesthat I'm going to list. Disclaimer: I don't have access to Hearthstone but I've watched several hours of Crota/Athene/Kripparian playing games.

1. There is more taunt/protector status cards in Hearthstone which creates an environment where allies/minions can better control the flow of the game. Now, warrior cards have plenty of access to protector status in ShadowEra however, in a game where the deck size isn't standardized, as it seems to be set to 30 no more no less in Hearthstone, placing protector effect cards into your hand becomes a big risk and therefore usually a liability. There needs to be more cards with protector build in. I find that forcing the pace of the game to slow down at certain points offers more oppurtunities for fantastic plays. As opposed to "I steamroll you or you steamroll me today".

2. The Coin: is a BRILLIANT mechanic that handles the "who goes first question" in TCGs. The coin basically allows the player who goes second to gain one extra resource for any given turn. This means that going first or second doesn't mean you will have a faster deck or any promise of ANY sort of field advantage for ANY amount of time. Simply brilliant.

3.Hero abilities cost the same resource as cards: Using abilities in Hearthstone costs field advantage unlike in Shadowera. The result is that even the most controliest of control mages in Hearthstone never feel as oppresive as a Eladwen or Maj can on a lucky card draw streak in a cookie cutter deck. If the mage wants to use their ability, guess what, they get to play less units and spells that turn.

I'm not asking ShadowEra to give up its identity and adopt the mechanics of Hearthstone, but The coin, taunt in particular I think are two areas where the next set of ShadowEra may consider nudgting towards. In ShadowEra when I get second play in a mirror match I always wince. In Hearthstone I'd get the Coin and feel confident because I would get to play a cost 2 minion on my first turn or a cost 3 on my 2nd or a cost 10 on my 9th, whatever I want.

ShadowEra is a much more mature game and has better balance from what I understand. But still that doesn't meant there aren't things to be learned from Hearthstone.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I think the combat is the biggest difference

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    David vs. Goliath.
    Scrupulous Ash Collector of the Blue Phoenix.
    Warriors of the Blue Phoenix

Greatness, Reborn

Shadow Era Network - Shadow Era community hub.

Quote Originally Posted by BDK16 View Post
    You're the best Unruler!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Bhleg View Post
    No one know FS better than you, our King of FS.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I've just visit Hearthstone website, the game is very nice, can't wait to play

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprinkles View Post
    There are 3 primary gameplay differences that I see between the two gamesthat I'm going to list. Disclaimer: I don't have access to Hearthstone but I've watched several hours of Crota/Athene/Kripparian playing games.

1. There is more taunt/protector status cards in Hearthstone which creates an environment where allies/minions can better control the flow of the game. Now, warrior cards have plenty of access to protector status in ShadowEra however, in a game where the deck size isn't standardized, as it seems to be set to 30 no more no less in Hearthstone, placing protector effect cards into your hand becomes a big risk and therefore usually a liability. There needs to be more cards with protector build in. I find that forcing the pace of the game to slow down at certain points offers more oppurtunities for fantastic plays. As opposed to "I steamroll you or you steamroll me today".

2. The Coin: is a BRILLIANT mechanic that handles the "who goes first question" in TCGs. The coin basically allows the player who goes second to gain one extra resource for any given turn. This means that going first or second doesn't mean you will have a faster deck or any promise of ANY sort of field advantage for ANY amount of time. Simply brilliant.

3.Hero abilities cost the same resource as cards: Using abilities in Hearthstone costs field advantage unlike in Shadowera. The result is that even the most controliest of control mages in Hearthstone never feel as oppresive as a Eladwen or Maj can on a lucky card draw streak in a cookie cutter deck. If the mage wants to use their ability, guess what, they get to play less units and spells that turn.

I'm not asking ShadowEra to give up its identity and adopt the mechanics of Hearthstone, but The coin, taunt in particular I think are two areas where the next set of ShadowEra may consider nudgting towards. In ShadowEra when I get second play in a mirror match I always wince. In Hearthstone I'd get the Coin and feel confident because I would get to play a cost 2 minion on my first turn or a cost 3 on my 2nd or a cost 10 on my 9th, whatever I want.

ShadowEra is a much more mature game and has better balance from what I understand. But still that doesn't meant there aren't things to be learned from Hearthstone.

Shadow Energy, gained 1 per turn to play Hero's ability
    Resource, achieved by sacing a card max 1 per turn to play Cards

I think those game mechanics add more strategy depth & game-play variation to the game, compared than if Shadow Era have hero abilities cost the same resource as cards like Hearthstone.
    Ppl like cards like Shadow Font or PoTL.

Forgive my bad English, but its a lil hard for me to get what ur point about Elad and Maj. I assume u was thinking that those mages are a lil to over powered?
    Well if that the case, then balancing is the cure, not changing Shadow Era basic game mechanic.
    Balancing like add more anti mages cards on the next expansion, tweaking DP cards to furfill this (if still possible), etc.

Another good point about shadow energy, it gives 2nd player additional reward beside 1 extra card. There's ur Coin in Shadow Era.
    Last edited by udy; 09-05-2013 at 01:23 AM.
    INDO Language Sub-Forum

[SF]Solo Nish/Loest
    Ythan Redthorn, Rush of the Twilight Deck
    Zaladar, Alpha Strike Deck
    Bloodfang, Howl of the Pack Deck

Eyes of the Phoenix
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

IGN: BP Dragon
    Favorite SE activity: Meltdown & Deck-Building
    Favorite Card: Anklebreaker
    Favorite Hero: Majiya

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Unruler View Post
    David vs. Goliath.
    Who refers to what game in your analogy? I didn't play Hearthstone. Also, who lost that battle David or Goliath? I can't remember. I only remember the stone carving I saw in a church where David had a one handed weapon and a small shield and Goliath was a giant twice his size.

@Sprinkles
    It's interesting to see what other games decide to do with their game mechanics. Technically there is a coin in SE but it's not visible. It is random who goes first as you know. I'd like a visible coin too though.

Quote Originally Posted by udy
    Shadow Energy, gained 1 per turn to play Hero's ability
    Resource, achieved by sacing a card max 1 per turn to play Cards

I think those game mechanics add more strategy depth & game-play variation to the game, compared than if Shadow Era have hero abilities cost the same resource as cards like Hearthstone.
    Ppl like cards like Shadow Font or PoTL.

Forgive my bad English, but its a lil hard for me to get what ur point about Elad and Maj. I assume u was thinking that those mages are a lil to over powered?
    Well if that the case, then balancing is the cure, not changing Shadow Era basic game mechanic.
    Balancing like add more anti mages cards on the next expansion, tweaking DP cards to furfill this (if still possible), etc.

Another good point about shadow energy, it gives 2nd player additional reward beside 1 extra card. There's ur Coin in Shadow Era.
    So, are you the little or big cat? Joking aside, I don't have any difficulty understanding you and I pretty much agree with your points.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ahmet476 View Post
    Who refers to what game in your analogy? I didn't play Hearthstone. Also, who lost that battle David or Goliath? I can't remember. I only remember the stone carving I saw in a church where David had a one handed weapon and a small shield and Goliath was a giant twice his size.
    Check out twitch, HS is constantly in top 5 featured games, amount of hype surrounding this game is obscene.

According to legend, David won, but this time it would require a little more than sling and accuracy...

Btw after watching some games, I like HS now a lot more than in the beginning, design of some cards (esp. legendaries) is quite cool and unusual, combined with Warcraft lore, it will attract some fans.
    Last edited by Unruler; 09-06-2013 at 01:34 PM.

Greatness, Reborn

You're the best Unruler!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Hmm, they must have established a good network with some advertising campaign. Not a challenge for Blizzard I guess.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ahmet476 View Post
    Hmm, they must have established a good network with some advertising campaign. Not a challenge for Blizzard I guess.
    Well, they have a massive fanbase. Which does streams and Youtube and stuffs.

Greatness, Reborn

You're the best Unruler!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    a few questions

is it free?
    will it require terrible grinding?
    how is balance?
    Want to Join A1?

A1: Evolution in Theory. To stop evolving is to die.

It is one of my greatest hopes that in the future, mankind achieves enlightenment so high we would not need rules, laws, or government to keep the peace and govern ourselves. By our own motivation and volition, we would do what is right and just because it is right and just. This is the central tenet of anarchy. Not chaos and lawlessness, but free will and self-actualization.

Visit my blog: Potpourri