Close

Thread: Morbid Acolyte?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Morbid Acolyte?

How does this card work? I know what a cards ability is, but what is a "Passive Ability"?

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    An activated ability has a resource cost or shadow energy cost in front of it, and you choose to use it on your turn.

A passive ability is any ability that is not an activated ability.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    OK, thanks!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    It deals with passive natural abilities that some allies have like Nightshade has stealth, Aeon has Protector. Acolyte removes their passive abilities making them 'normal'. That way you can target allies that were protected by an Aeon before he lost his ability etc.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I see why it's used so much now. Thanks

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Does Morbid's ability work on effects from items and artifacts or is it only abilities that allies possess?
    Ex. I have morbid acolyte and my opponent has an ally with attachment and tome of blessings.
    If I use morbid ability will it take away tome of blessings damage reduction ?
    Another Ex. I have morbid acolyte and my opponent has packmaster's helm and a wulven ally that has +1 health from it.
    If I use morbid ability will it take away the health from opponent ally ?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Morbid Acolyte?

Quote Originally Posted by Durfs View Post
    Does Morbid's ability work on effects from items and artifacts or is it only abilities that allies possess?
    Ex. I have morbid acolyte and my opponent has an ally with attachment and tome of blessings.
    Another Ex. I have morbid acolyte and my opponent has packmaster's helm and a wulven ally that has +1 health from it.
    morbid acolyte removes the ability granted however both artifacts and attachment put them right back on so no net change. basically can remove on going effects

packmasters helms health buff is permanent (gain)
    Last edited by Buqs; 10-11-2015 at 01:49 AM.
    EveryThing Changes

"The difference between the possible and the impossible lies within a persons determination" -- Tommy Lasorda

Check out my decks and others at Shadowera.net. Shadowera's #1 Super Fan Site!

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Durfs View Post
    Tome of Blessing's ongoing effect belongs to Tome of Blessing, and so it is a passive ability of that item, which happens to affect allies. So Morbid Acolyte won't work to remove that damage reduction. Compare to Portal, which actually gives out a passive ability ("... allies have haste") which then is considered belonging to the ally while Portal is around to maintain it. In that case, Morbid Acolyte could take away the haste from the ally.

Packmaster's Helm does not provide an ongoing effect - it just makes the ally gain +1 health at the end of the turn. Once that is gained, it can't be undone directly, but of course other effects can damage the ally or make its health reduced. So Morbid Acolyte is irrelevant to Packmaster's Helm.

To put it another way: the passive ability either needs to be written on the ally or something else needs to be granting the ally one of the keyword passive abilities like haste, ambush, defender for it to be considered a passive ability of that ally.

Hope that helps.