Close

View Poll Results: Which team did best on the task that was set?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nocturnal Advantage (Festival of Fangs)

5 7.58%
  • Random Heroes (Random Heroes Carnival)

53 80.30%
  • They both did awesome, so I can't pick a winner

8 12.12%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Wulven Apprentice - Task 4 - Voting and Results

Hi Wulven Apprentice fans!

After the third firing last week, we kept the same teams, and then set them on their fourth task, which finished yesterday. Unlike previous tasks, this one was done entirely in the public eye, so many of you will likely have been forming opinions on how well each team did already. And that's great! Props to you for getting into the Wulven Apprentice spirit! If you want to go ahead and vote now, the poll is up!

For those of you who need reminding on what went on, or just a little help deciding where to cast your vote, here's some stuff to help you.

Task 4 Details

Task: Plan, organise and run two or more different events involving members of the community, with the intent of creating excitement, enjoyment and engagement!

Format: The events can be anything you like, providing it promotes community participation and fun. Be sure to mention that your event is part of Wulven Apprentice Task 4.

Deadline: 6am GMT Monday 5th August. (That's when community participation in your events must have finished by, but if there is judging involved then that could occur after the deadline.)

Winning Team: A public poll will decide 80% of the outcome, Wulven judges will decide 20%.

Task 4 Events

Each team ran several events and linked to them from one main thread. I've linked to both below, so you can see what events they ran and how they were organised.

Nocturnal Advantage
    Daryl (Project Manager),
    Caleb, Tomm

Nocturnal Advantage's Festival of Fangs

Random Heroes
    Sean (Project Manager),
    Samuel, Shawn, Steven

Random Heroes Carnival

Task 4 Results?

As written above, the winning team will be determined in part by public poll and partly by Wulven judges (80% and 20%, respectively).

Voting will be open
    Tuesday 2.00am GMT to Thursday 9pm GMT

(Tapatalk users will need to visit the forum website to vote in the poll.)

Please feel free to use this thread to discuss any aspect of this task, but note that comments below will not affect the results. You will need to vote to affect the outcome.

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    It's mentioned above already, but I do feel it's important to emphasise that Nocturnal Advantage had 1 less person on their team this week, so please keep that in mind if you are evaluating based on the amount of work done by both teams. Thanks.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    No way random heroes loses this one. They did more than just popups/tourneys which only cater to a small percentage of the community. The other events NA did really didn't allow for "continual" community involvement and just were not well thought out. The scavenger hunt could have been good but the way in which it was run was poor. When you set a task....it usually is instantly answered...preventing/minimizing further activity other than comments such as no that should be allowed or it should be this way. If there were 6 items total they could've been release 1 at a time at random intervals and an individuals posts in comparison to task post could be a person time. In after all 6 tasks were released and complete the person with best overall time would win. This method would've allowed for more than a few people to participate because it increases the chances of anyone winning (vs person who just happens to be online at time of task release). The art thing was just something that someone mentioned so NA went with it. Much like someone said the timeframe was just to short for this type of event to be completed.

On the other hand random heroes has such a wide variety of events. They ran pops and tourneys too, it hit avenues that allowed other community talents to shine. There were fan fiction, card design, boss battles, scrabble and mild art (pimp my card) - (prob more i don't remember).

All in all I was more impressed with the execution of RAs plan of action in relation to the task given.
    Last edited by Buqs; 08-06-2013 at 01:20 AM.
    EveryThing Changes

"The difference between the possible and the impossible lies within a persons determination" -- Tommy Lasorda

Check out my decks and others at Shadowera.net. Shadowera's #1 Super Fan Site!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Random heroes had much more diversity in their events than Nocturnal Advantage, and this made the week much more interesting than had it just been a slew of popups, so that's why they get my vote.
    Elder TJ

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Random Heroes gets my vote in a heartbeat. Way more variety than a bunch of tourneys.
    Excelsior!
    . -..- -.-. . .-.. -.. .. --- .-.!

Eviscerating Tangerine ?
    A. Caramel Cakes
    B. Cockatrice Chipolatas
    C. Cannibalistic Chimichangas
    D. Crawl-y Cookies

True
    Et tu .. Carniboar?
    Failed shot at looking clever. ^
    Companions!
    - .-. ..- . / -.-. --- -- .--. .- -. .. --- -. ...!

Insert quote by historical war figure to show my dedication to the game.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Reason for voting RH is simple: the events they held were much more interesting.
    Proud member of ETC - "Evolved To a Cobra"
    (From A Snake with Fire, Lol)

IGN: ETC Bhleg

"I tried to nerf the Fire Snake, but I failed." - Kxxx
    "I'll never play Shadow Era again, becasue I can't beat the Fire Snake..." - Chuck Norris
    "Only defeat Sheng Long is't enough, You must defeat the Fire Snake to stand a chance." - Ryu

Quote Originally Posted by Unruler View Post
    You're a noble knight of the snake, sir.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I feel like certain member(s) of Nocturnal Advantage have given up on making it to the end of Wulven Apprentice. While they seem to have had some success with their tournament organizing (perhaps even more so than Random Heroes), their other offerings seem to have fallen through and been sub-standard. Part of this is, of course, due to the lack of community involvement, which was a problem for both teams, but I feel like Nocturnal Advantage could have done significantly more on their end.

Ask Me Anything - there were multiple questions that were addressed to the team at large, and received an answer from only one member. While this was satisfactory for many questions, I feel like some would have been better if answered by each team member individually. There was also at least one question addressed to a specific individual that went completely unanswered.

Scavenger Hunt - to say that this event was poorly thought out would be a bit of an understatement. As was stated multiple times, simply asking for pictures of something meant that whoever read the entry first was likely to win, as all that was necessary was a quick Google Image search; even after the rule change, participants merely searched on their computer and then took a picture of their computer screen. There are multiple ways this could have been better, including some that were mentioned in the thread, but it feels like the team didn't care.

Art Contest - I think there were probably many reasons why this one didn't get any entries, but two stick out in my mind. First, the need to email entries. I don't understand why this was necessary when it is simple enough to post images either in the thread or as a PM. Second, the restriction to only drawing art for cards that they had made in their Week 2 entry. While some sort of limitation was probably necessary in order to compare pictures, the fact that the possibilities already had certain images stuck in everyone's minds may have hindered creativity. Perhaps it would have been better to make the art open to any Shadow Era card, or they could have posted their card ideas that didn't make the final cut for the contest (even if they weren't balanced, that wouldn't have had any bearing on the art).

Nocturnal Advantage also did not seem to put as much effort into advertising their events as Random Heroes did. Their team forum account was created much later and their event thread had issues (largely fixed, but the thread is still not on the same level as that of Random Heroes in terms of presentation).

Compare this to the non-tournament events presented by Random Heroes. In addition to the quick match challenges, which have had variable success when run on the forums by random individuals, they had contests and non-competitive entertainment threads, both of which were successful. Furthermore, when they found there was a difficulty problem with one of their events, they would change things to make it easier (I'm referring to the nerfing of the opponents in the Day of Apocalypse Quick Match Game, and the creation of Alphabet Soup that was intended to help people figure out ways to get their letters for the Scrabble challenge). I feel this is an extremely important point in their favor, compared to the effort Nocturnal Advantage put forth in trying to make their Scavenger Hunt fun and competitive.

As much as I would like to vote for Nocturnal Advantage, I just don't think that they, as a team, put forth the effort needed this week for competition. Certain member or members made a valiant effort, but without the backing of the other(s) it just wasn't enough. My vote to Random Heroes.
    Congratulations to Preybird for designing my Avatar!

In Game Handle: Warr Byrd

Contributions to the Game:
    Flavor text for Wild Berserker: The odds are always in my favor
    PFG3: To Be Released Soon™

Tournament Wins: None, I'm Timmy Johnny not Spike!

Shout out to Gondorian, nerull7, Nikola D, plo, Preybird, Super Grover, and Zhou86 for submitting potential avatars!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Warr Byrd View Post
    I feel like certain member(s) of Nocturnal Advantage have given up on making it to the end of Wulven Apprentice. While they seem to have had some success with their tournament organizing (perhaps even more so than Random Heroes), their other offerings seem to have fallen through and been sub-standard. Part of this is, of course, due to the lack of community involvement, which was a problem for both teams, but I feel like Nocturnal Advantage could have done significantly more on their end.

Ask Me Anything - there were multiple questions that were addressed to the team at large, and received an answer from only one member. While this was satisfactory for many questions, I feel like some would have been better if answered by each team member individually. There was also at least one question addressed to a specific individual that went completely unanswered.

Scavenger Hunt - to say that this event was poorly thought out would be a bit of an understatement. As was stated multiple times, simply asking for pictures of something meant that whoever read the entry first was likely to win, as all that was necessary was a quick Google Image search; even after the rule change, participants merely searched on their computer and then took a picture of their computer screen. There are multiple ways this could have been better, including some that were mentioned in the thread, but it feels like the team didn't care.

Art Contest - I think there were probably many reasons why this one didn't get any entries, but two stick out in my mind. First, the need to email entries. I don't understand why this was necessary when it is simple enough to post images either in the thread or as a PM. Second, the restriction to only drawing art for cards that they had made in their Week 2 entry. While some sort of limitation was probably necessary in order to compare pictures, the fact that the possibilities already had certain images stuck in everyone's minds may have hindered creativity. Perhaps it would have been better to make the art open to any Shadow Era card, or they could have posted their card ideas that didn't make the final cut for the contest (even if they weren't balanced, that wouldn't have had any bearing on the art).

Nocturnal Advantage also did not seem to put as much effort into advertising their events as Random Heroes did. Their team forum account was created much later and their event thread had issues (largely fixed, but the thread is still not on the same level as that of Random Heroes in terms of presentation).

Compare this to the non-tournament events presented by Random Heroes. In addition to the quick match challenges, which have had variable success when run on the forums by random individuals, they had contests and non-competitive entertainment threads, both of which were successful. Furthermore, when they found there was a difficulty problem with one of their events, they would change things to make it easier (I'm referring to the nerfing of the opponents in the Day of Apocalypse Quick Match Game, and the creation of Alphabet Soup that was intended to help people figure out ways to get their letters for the Scrabble challenge). I feel this is an extremely important point in their favor, compared to the effort Nocturnal Advantage put forth in trying to make their Scavenger Hunt fun and competitive.

As much as I would like to vote for Nocturnal Advantage, I just don't think that they, as a team, put forth the effort needed this week for competition. Certain member or members made a valiant effort, but without the backing of the other(s) it just wasn't enough. My vote to Random Heroes.
    ...Yeah, what he said.
    No animals were harmed in the making of this sig... I tried, but that damn monkey was way too fast.

IGN: Disturbed Animal

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    All I can say is we tried with the very limited time and manpower we had this week we never gave up and never will. I will fight tooth and nail to the bitter end even when the fight seems unwinnable much like it did this week.
    A1's Resident Smut Peddler
    Wulven Apprentice Finalist
    Betrayal4life 2-0 Cancer

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by betrayal4life View Post
    All I can say is we tried with the very limited time and manpower we had this week we never gave up and never will. I will fight tooth and nail to the bitter end even when the fight seems unwinnable much like it did this week.
    I highly doubt anyone is questioning your devotion to the task. Really, it felt like two members running the show this week versus four, and those odds just aren't good.

Still, I have to agree with the general consensus here. RH did a better job, but it seems it was with double the manpower. I know it has to suck going up and going up and going up, but I don't think you'd be the one to go home this week.
    Proud member of Team Juggernauts | PFG member

IGN: TJ Xantese