Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Jericho Spellbane: Tempo based "meta" aggro.

I wouldn't recommend this deck to newbies since actually piloting the deck is extremely difficult. I'll try to explain matchups a bit in detail. I'm not running Aeon because I should never be in the position where I can actually play him. I'd probably run a 3rd staff if I had it.

Hero: Jericho Spellbane

Allies
    4x Blake Windrunner
    3x Puwen Bloodhelm
    4x Aldon The Brave
    4x Sandra Trueblade
    3x Jasmine Rosecult

Abilities
    3x Destroy Arms
    4x Plague
    3x Retreat

Items
    2x Wizent's Staff

Elemental control decks: These usually don't have enough early game plays to threaten you. On the play you want to come out swinging as hard as you can and plague on 4 to prevent them from getting card advantage. Keep dropping allies and hitting resources whenever they start to build up. As long as you go first you should have a fairly easy time with this match.

On the draw this matchup gets a lot harder since plague will leave them a resource up and Sandra is sometimes a bit too late. The best advice I can give on this is don't overextend your allies since they're capable of wiping the board fairly easily. If resources do end up reaching the higher end of the curve Retreat any fat they drop.

Elemental Aggro: This is actually a really good match both on the draw and on the play. Your guys are favorable to their aggro guys which makes the resource destruction even better than it is against the control variants. The usual applies here. Try to hold them below 5 and you should be good. The biggest thing to worry about is Zandalar's ability swinging a bad hand into their favor which can be really difficult to recover from.

Majiya: You just sort of auto-win this match. There isn't much they can do to stop you.

Wulven: Same as above. They can't stop you from doing your thing. Your allies are better than their allies and destroy arms and your hero's ability really take away a lot of their options.

Hunter solo: I haven't ran across this matchup but I have a feeling this should be in your favor. Not quite sure though.

Ally heavy hunter: This match is pretty much a coin flip. Your guys can keep parity with theirs, your destroy arms are amazing in this match, they can wreck your board, and with so many bows it can be hard to answer them all.

Human mages: Pretty much impossible to beat. Their allies are usually better than yours and their abilities have a bigger effect on the board.

Boris: Same as above, but slightly better. You have a snowball's chance in Hell of winning. Jericho's ability and Destroy Arms make this match winnable. Going first Sandra and plague both do a lot to damage their tempo, going second plague is more like an emergency button. Like most human matchups the difference in allies can give them the edge. If an Aeon does hit board plague/retreat so it doesn't hit the table again or retreat it to give you an opening to win. Aeon can ruin your day.

Priests: It depends on the flavor, 50/50 I guess. It really is easy to misread this matchup.

General tips: Don't be afraid to Retreat your own Sandra to get ahead on resources.
    If you mess up on resourcing you pretty much forfeit the game. A bad read can turn a favorable matchup into something completely unwinnable.
    Lastly, don't give up on this deck if you're having bad luck. The learning curve is probably the biggest out of any deck I've played and you really need to learn your matchups to make it work.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    This deck is just evil when it works. I have only tried a couple games with it, but when you get a blake and jasmin on the board, then knock them down to zero resources... whew, it's just mean.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    This is a great deck; its main problem, which you single out early, is that Plague pretty much is useless going second against most decks.

You are on a coinflip at best against Zaladar.

You lose to Elementalis because you'll never kill him (he only needs 1 resource to keep you held happily...)

You have a very tough matchup against Boris and Human Mages.

So you have tough or auto-lose matchups against the decks that make up the great majority of the top-end field. I'm not sure how that makes this a 'meta' deck.

That said, it's as well built as you can get with this deck, really. It needs a few more cards (Cobraskin wraps down to 4 cost would be nice to replace staff, and Jericho needs a buff) to be released for it and then I'm hoping we'll see priests competitive. Nice to see someone running a good amount of allies for a change, too. I think I ran almost identical except -2 staff and +1 Puwen possibly when I was last trying this. I found 4 resources to play Sandra/Plague was enough 4 costs for the deck.
    Last edited by Calmdown; 04-04-2011 at 08:04 PM.
    Calmdown * Shadow Era Designer * Logan Stonebreaker & Brutal Minotaur Fan Club

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Assuming you go second you'll reach 4 on their 4, Sandra will knock them back to 3. Both of their key plays to slowing this deck down happen on 3. You're on a bit more than a coinflip against Zaladar depending on if they're running HBMs or not. If they're not Transference is the only card that matters and it only really matters if it hits plague, and having the second plague or another sandra would still make it something you can recover from. All in all I'd say Zaladar is favorable on the play, and roughly 50/50 on the draw.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    yep, when it works it's a lot of fun. i have very similar deck but vs competitive Zaladar decks, with hbms, on the draw it's really hard to win.
    Last edited by eev; 04-04-2011 at 08:33 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I've tried to make this "Erhnageddon" deck before, the problem is going second. As Calmdown said, your Plagues become useless and you just become a human ally aggro deck without the good board control elements and support cards that Warriors, Mages, or Hunters have.

Erhnageddon worked in M:TG because of Swords to Plowshares, Birds of Paradise, and Llanowar Elves. We have no equivalent yet in SE.
    Last edited by Kadun; 04-04-2011 at 08:46 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    This Jericho deck seems a bit more reliable as it has a different play style if you go second.
    http://www.shadowera.com/showthread....of-frustration

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Early Gargoyles ruin your day if you dont have Blake+Aldon. Zaladar's ability means you don't keep your plague-given board control long enough since you easily lose creatures to it. Zaladar's ability (and Boris, et al) being resource independent are the bane of decks like this; you will do damage for a couple of turns if they didnt get creatures down too / if you went first / etc but you don't keep board control a la Armageddon White Weenie or Ernhamgeddon.

I'm not disagreeing with your concept, but I've played this deck a lot, and I think you're heavily overestimating its potential.

Quote Originally Posted by TotallyImba View Post
    This Jericho deck seems a bit more reliable as it has a different play style if you go second.
    http://www.shadowera.com/showthread....of-frustration
    In my experience the truth is somewhere in between. My last Zhaanna deck (probably a week old) was something like:

Zhanna

4x Blake
    4x Aldon
    4x Jasmine
    4x Sandra

3x Smite
    3x Tidal Wave
    3x Plague
    2x Destroy Arms
    2x Resurrection

It plays in the same way as I analysed the guy's deck in the other thread but has the aggro and Sandra potential of this deck. It could probably do with some tuning of the support and I dislike running 16 creature decks in general but I think the 'two strategy' approach is probably the best way for Priests right now.
    Last edited by Calmdown; 04-04-2011 at 09:05 PM.
    Calmdown * Shadow Era Designer * Logan Stonebreaker & Brutal Minotaur Fan Club