Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I've read that before and I tried classifying who I was according to the 3 characters presented in the article. However, I think those are all present in us as players. They represent the tendencies we can have in terms of deck-building and playing depending on certain factors and/or our age in the games we play.

Timmy, Johnny, and Spike are but different manifestations of yourself in the game reflecting how you respond to different stimuli.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I'm a mix of all 3, though I have to say Johnny is dominant, with Spike and Timmy tradng places based on mood (after a long hard day, I'm Johnny/Spike, when I've had a boring day I'm either pure Johnny or Johnny/Timmy)

Yes, this is primarily a marketing tool... oddly enough - I like this article more as a designer than as a player... as a player it's useless to me really, but it's interesting to see one of the approaches to card design decisions.

(I love the unloved cards... a few I've actually used to great effect)

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Timmy?

Nerull7 - Backhand of Justice
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

IGN: BP Nerull7 | Our Guild | Watch Epic BP Games: | 1 | 2 | 3 |
    Talk less crap, do more for community

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Lol. My friend works at a card shop tht hosts MTG tournaments. He was explaining to me how he learned to market to each of these 3 types of players.

A new girl walked into the store and showed me her Angels deck. It was like 150 cards, with various angels from all different formats an not tournament legal. Im looking it with my friend. I said, "She asked for advice how to make her deck better. I dont know what to tell her." He says, "Tell her how cool her Angels are."

I said, "youve got some really cool angels." She was so excited. "I know right?"

My friend behind the counter says, "which one is your favorite?" He ends up selling her 6 different copies and promo versions of her favorite angel.

Later he showed me his inventory layout. One binder marked "Type 2/ Modern", for spike players. Another binder just labeled "Angels", another marked "Dragons"...
    A1 1ndeed - The Black Lotus of A1 - A1: Evolution in Theory

And who are you, the proud lord said, that I must bow so low?
    Only a cat of a different coat, that's all the truth I know.
    In a coat of gold, or a coat of red, a lion still has claws;
    And mine are long and sharp, my lord, as long and sharp as yours.

1.27 Tournament Champion Raphael Majere's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 1ndeed View Post
    Lol. My friend works at a card shop tht hosts MTG tournaments. He was explaining to me how he learned to market to each of these 3 types of players.

A new girl walked into the store and showed me her Angels deck. It was like 150 cards, with various angels from all different formats an not tournament legal. Im looking it with my friend. I said, "She asked for advice how to make her deck better. I dont know what to tell her." He says, "Tell her how cool her Angels are."

I said, "youve got some really cool angels." She was so excited. "I know right?"

My friend behind the counter says, "which one is your favorite?" He ends up selling her 6 different copies and promo versions of her favorite angel.

Later he showed me his inventory layout. One binder marked "Type 2/ Modern", for spike players. Another binder just labeled "Angels", another marked "Dragons"...
    Great story, thanks for sharing.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    100% Johnny, but I don't have a lot of Johnny friendly capabilities in SE, yet. If anybody ever played the mtg deck "sunny side up" that about describes me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preybird
    Outlaw you are one sick son of a b****. I approve
    Quote Originally Posted by Solomon69
    Ahahahah you're such an evil (and creative) human being Outl4w!!!
    Join me in the fight for maintaining the freedom of the deranged and enlightend. Be an Outl4w!

“An outlaw can be defined as somebody who lives outside the law, beyond the law and not necessarily against it.”
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I'm none of them. I'm... err... I only care about my post count...
    Buried Treasure of Nanana
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix/ Greatness, Reborn
    My tournament achievements

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Raphael Majere View Post
    Great story, thanks for sharing.
    yea that story was very cool..b...b....bbbbrrooooo

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Sisyphos View Post
    Hm, i like winning stuffs, so i guess i'm like Spike. But then again, i don't really enjoy using the obvious winning deck à la 1.29 Logan or Eladwen 'cause it wasn't really me who won. So i guess Johnny. But then again, combo decks are lame, the fun comes from interacting with one another, not one guy watching the other build sandcastles. I also think in an online environment deckbuilding is basically the same activity as playing. And what type am i when what i like the most is collecting and admiring the cards?

Eh. MTG must be a stupid , or rather their costumers are if they allowed such hokum to become part of their conversational material. From a business standpoint it makes sense to classify your costumers in a certain way to try and better cater towards their needs as a whole, but when those costumers start to apply these categories to themselves individually like it had psychological indications i gotta scratch my head. It's just as phony as Hippocrates' 4 temperaments or zodiac signs influencing people's character. Sure you can find some truth in it if you try hard enough, but that's like drawing a line on a sheet of paper while saying "This is the line between the 2 sections of this page."
    Quote Originally Posted by 1ndeed View Post

Seems its a smart act rather than a stupid one (from developer/seller point of view)
    =======================================
    Quote Originally Posted by Index View Post
    I'm none of them. I'm... err... I only care about my post count...
    QUOTE from ahmet476 with addition:

Timmy: Likes to play with awesome cards, big and powerful effects. Less competitive of the bunch. If he wins even one game with his awesome cards, he is happy.

Johnny: Likes to play with less popular cards. Loves combo decks. Usually tries to do weird and difficult things with cards. Likes to win on his own terms, with his difficult win condition(s). Likes deck-building more than playing. Creative dude.

Spike: Most competitive of the bunch. Will play whatever the winning deck is.

Index: The newest type found recently. A player who concern his post count more than his game play. So, that player is more likely to be called as a poster instead of a player...
    Last edited by udy; 11-25-2013 at 07:48 AM.
    INDO Language Sub-Forum

[SF]Solo Nish/Loest
    Ythan Redthorn, Rush of the Twilight Deck
    Zaladar, Alpha Strike Deck
    Bloodfang, Howl of the Pack Deck

Eyes of the Phoenix
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

IGN: BP Dragon
    Favorite SE activity: Meltdown & Deck-Building
    Favorite Card: Anklebreaker
    Favorite Hero: Majiya