Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Angry Timmy, Johnny and Spike

I'm kinda annoyed as a non MTG player that suddenly everyone started to tout their play style by mentioning MTG terms. If you don't know yet, those three guys represent a type of player in MTG.

http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazin...om/daily/mr11b

The link above will take you to original article.

Here is TL, DR version:

Timmy: Likes to play with awesome cards, big and powerful effects. Less competitive of the bunch. If he wins even one game with his awesome cards, he is happy.

Johnny: Likes to play with less popular cards. Loves combo decks. Usually tries to do weird and difficult things with cards. Likes to win on his own terms, with his difficult win condition(s). Likes deck-building more than playing. Creative dude.

Spike: Most competitive of the bunch. Will play whatever the winning deck is.

Quote Originally Posted by article
    Spike cares more about the quantity of wins than the quality. For example, Spike plays ten games and wins nine of them. If Spike feels he should have won the tenth, he walks away unhappy.
    LOL.

There are also combinations/mixed types.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I'm a jhonny with a little of Spike

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Colosal View Post
    I'm a jhonny with a little of Spike
    Spiked Johnny? (Get it?)
    Nerull7 - Backhand of Justice
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

IGN: BP Nerull7 | Our Guild | Watch Epic BP Games: | 1 | 2 | 3 |
    Talk less crap, do more for community

1.27 Tournament Champion Raphael Majere's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    For me, Johnny might as well be Blanketeffect's real name.

Fit to a T

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    The terms may have originated with the Magic developers, but they are applicable to any type of card game. I'm not a Magic player either, and I have the updated article in my signature (it lists subtypes of each player type, and I think goes into a little more detail).
    Congratulations to Preybird for designing my Avatar!

In Game Handle: Warr Byrd

Contributions to the Game:
    Flavor text for Wild Berserker: The odds are always in my favor
    PFG3: To Be Released Soon™

Tournament Wins: None, I'm Timmy Johnny not Spike!

Shout out to Gondorian, nerull7, Nikola D, plo, Preybird, Super Grover, and Zhou86 for submitting potential avatars!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Here's Johnny....!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    Best Regards,

Bobbypim
    [ Warwizard of the Jutland Plains ]

Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn
    ( Read about my guild )

IGN: BP Bobbypim

Card designs:
    Dwarven Aid | Undead Siege | Viking Storm | Heroes Rising | Coming of Dragons
    Trackers of Night | Keystones

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Hm, i like winning stuffs, so i guess i'm like Spike. But then again, i don't really enjoy using the obvious winning deck à la 1.29 Logan or Eladwen 'cause it wasn't really me who won. So i guess Johnny. But then again, combo decks are lame, the fun comes from interacting with one another, not one guy watching the other build sandcastles. I also think in an online environment deckbuilding is basically the same activity as playing. And what type am i when what i like the most is collecting and admiring the cards?

Eh. MTG must be a stupid , or rather their costumers are if they allowed such hokum to become part of their conversational material. From a business standpoint it makes sense to classify your costumers in a certain way to try and better cater towards their needs as a whole, but when those costumers start to apply these categories to themselves individually like it had psychological indications i gotta scratch my head. It's just as phony as Hippocrates' 4 temperaments or zodiac signs influencing people's character. Sure you can find some truth in it if you try hard enough, but that's like drawing a line on a sheet of paper while saying "This is the line between the 2 sections of this page."
    Last edited by Sisyphos; 07-30-2013 at 03:28 PM.
    A1's man without qualities - Evolution in theory.

My cards ideas: for mages, for others

Songs about Wulven by: TV on the Radio, Babel, Warren Zevon

However much one kind of longs to see the actors in war outdo each other in cunning activity, finesse, and stratagem, still one has to admit that these qualities show themselves but little in history and have rarely been able to emerge from amongst the mass of relations and circumstances.
    The reason for this is obvious enough: Strategy knows no other activity than the arrangement of combats with the measures which relate to it. It doesn't know, like ordinary life, actions that consist of mere words, i.e. expressions, declarations, etc. But these, which are inexpensive, are what the crafty one prefers to deceive with.
    This sober truth is always felt through and through by the actor in war and therefore he ceases to fancy a game of shrewd agility. Necessity presses so hard into immediate action that there is no room left for it. In a word, the pieces on the strategical chessboard lack the mobility that is the element of stratagem and cunning. - CvC, On War

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    You sound like a Vorthos, Sisyphos

It's true not everyone can fit in any of the types even after considering mixed ones.
    Last edited by ahmet476; 07-30-2013 at 03:38 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I think I was incarcerated with these fellas. Spike, Johnny chains, and Timmy. Poor Timmy.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by ahmet476 View Post
    You sounds like a Vorthos, Sisyphos
    lol, great call!

BTW, I'm probably 50/50 Johnny and Timmy. I love combo decks and pounding face with massive cool creatures. Love my Alluren deck with Cavern Harpy and Brain Freeze, but not as much as my B/R Dragon or Enduring Renewal decks
    1.25, 1.26, 1.27: 40 card decks, Big Bad Baduruu
    1.28/1.29 - best forgotten except for Elementalis Prime Grindage

1.5 - it's all good Naughty Gwenches
    -
    Players Focus Group 1, Missing In Action member of PFG 2