Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Some balancing and fairness questions:

Hey guys, why is Moonstalker's ability 3 when Lance is 4? Moonstalker applies stealth to everyone and imo haste is not worth an extra shadow especially when only helping one card.

Why does Blood Moon not work with stealth but works with ambush? Darkclaw is already more popular than Moonstalker (stats will probably say they are near-same popularity but your average deck has a harder time against weapon decks than allied imo)

Is there a general rule for determining what order coinciding abilities happen? eg, Bad Wolf on 1 health will live through poison because of his ability. However, http://www.shadowera.com/showthread....lated-to-rules Mojumbo says Lo Void 1h will be killed by Cobra Demon's ability. But from experience against Eladwen Frostmire, a fresh Lo Void will be frozen with 1 health rather than be killed by her ability??

Why is Shadowvein 6cc when the SE gains are mutual for heroes? imo it should be 5cc, or 6cc and SE gains are for your hero only. Perhaps to do with how gaining SE is valued (compare Priest's SE deduction from opp to S-BO's mutual SE gain) but they are both 3cc.

EDIT - Lo Void would die in that example, but not how Mojumbo said. (+1 -1 = 0, applied atst) so the 1 damage from the ability doesn't kill him but the poison will
    Last edited by Saf; 07-16-2013 at 09:53 AM.
    BP Inactive member | IGN: SafOne

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    From the tone of that post it seems hard to argue against you (or rather, it's hard to get you to change your mind) so I don't but I don't agree with the first two points.

The order of abilities needs a clarification as it's confusing as hell.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Leviathan is a funny one. When resurrected via gravebone, Leviathan comes into play as a 3/5. As airact mentioned, there are some weird interactions.
    IGN: E2E BallyWorld
    Common Hero: Victor, Serena, and Gwyn

Resident Sapper and Proud Member of E2E: Enlisted to Endure.

"For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found." Luke 15:24
    "This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus." Romans 3:22-24

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Why resurect IVL when you have Molten Destroyer? He is 4/5 stats 5cc ally. Leviathan works better with Ter Adun and Aldmor which is mostly unusable with Gravebone because his ability suffers then.
    Nerull7 - Backhand of Justice
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

IGN: BP Nerull7 | Our Guild | Watch Epic BP Games: | 1 | 2 | 3 |
    Talk less crap, do more for community

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    The reason for similar abilities at different costs is because of the card pool. For example mages fireball is 3cc for 4 damage but smite is 3cc for 3 dam and special delivery is 4cc for 3 dam...
    SHADOW ERA, ETC
    Enjoy Trading Card-games

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Airact View Post
    From the tone of that post it seems hard to argue against you (or rather, it's hard to get you to change your mind) so I don't but I don't agree with the first two points.
    Not really mate, yea those are my opinions but I'm asking to find out why they are as they must've been designed that way for a reason. It could have been sth I missed and I'd say oh crap you use that card like THAT?! I do feel strongly about those but just want to know why

Quote Originally Posted by nerull7 View Post
    Why resurect IVL when you have Molten Destroyer? He is 4/5 stats 5cc ally. Leviathan works better with Ter Adun and Aldmor which is mostly unusable with Gravebone because his ability suffers then.
    Io Void! I always thought it as Lo!

I am running 2x Molten Destroyer and 2x Terrion in my Flamebone deck With Fireballs, Blazing Shield, Wrath of Summer, Engulfing Flames...watch them burnnnnn
    Last edited by Saf; 07-17-2013 at 09:26 AM. Reason: adding replies

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Helio View Post
    The reason for similar abilities at different costs is because of the card pool. For example mages fireball is 3cc for 4 damage but smite is 3cc for 3 dam and special delivery is 4cc for 3 dam...
    So blood moon is better for Darkclaw because they see Moonstalker as the stronger of the two, based on stats or w/e?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Here are the game rules:
    http://cf.shadowera.com/shadowera_rulebook_v1.0.pdf

Look on page 19, there is the ruling about Ability triggering order and Resolution.

The reason why leviathan does die from Cobra demon is, because arcording to the resolution rules, the effect of the Turn-Player will first accure and then the effect of the non Turn-Player. So Leviathan first takes 1 damage and that kills him. And since hes dead, he stays dead.

In case of Bad Wolf and poisen, its both the same card and thus the ability will trigger order in which they appear on board. Since Bad Wolf was on the board earlier, his healing will trigger first. So he first goes from 1 health to 2 and then the poisen removes one making it a total of 1 health.

(for this I will not give the shirt of my back, so don't nail me on that)

In the issue of balance question, there is a reason behind most things.
    Blood moon for example. Before Set 2 came out, DarkClaw was close to never played, because he was just too weak. Mainly because it was missing uni-literal draw options for solo decks.
    So the DT decided, that the want a strong Draw Card for DarkClaw but wanna limit it, so that on the more often played monstalker, it is not that strong.
    And my opinion is, that DarClaw would still be close to not played without Blood Moon.
    I can understad people, if they argue Blood Moon is overpowered and I kind of agree, but the limitation to make it less strong for moonstalker was important, because moon with a non-limited BloodMoon would be insane.

In the case of Moon ability and Lance ability you cannot just go arround compare them.
    First they have a totally different card pool. Second the haste part is the most important part of Lance ability. Ambush is kind of a bonus.
    There is soo much staff, that can kill or disable allies, even if they are invisible (direct damage, control abilities, morbit acolyte, seductress, .......)
    But the haste is harder to counter (only brax soldier).
    All in all i can say a 3SE Lance ability would be insane as fuck (in CotC Lance was onne of the most played heroes even with 4se ability) and a 4se moonstalker ability would be too weak, because even now with 3SE hes very weak duo to all the counnters to invisibility.
    “Let’s show Kira…that the good guys always win.”
    The L of A1 - Evolution in Theory

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Saf View Post
    Hey guys, why is Moonstalker's ability 3 when Lance is 4? Moonstalker applies stealth to everyone and imo haste is not worth an extra shadow especially when only helping one card.
    Using Moonstalker's ability just buys you some time, maybe. Rarely is it enough to turn the match around in a single turn. On the other hand, playing Raven and then using Lance's ability on it will turn the game around in most circumstances, as will some other human allies.

Why does Blood Moon not work with stealth but works with ambush? Darkclaw is already more popular than Moonstalker (stats will probably say they are near-same popularity but your average deck has a harder time against weapon decks than allied imo)
    Like painful_smile said, Darkclaw was the weaker of the two Wulven before the expansion. Furthermore, the Millstalker deck archetype was overplayed and disliked by many. The restriction on Blood Moon was an attempt (and seems to have been successful) to boost Darkclaw without helping Moonstalker too much.

Why is Shadowvein 6cc when the SE gains are mutual for heroes? imo it should be 5cc, or 6cc and SE gains are for your hero only. Perhaps to do with how gaining SE is valued (compare Priest's SE deduction from opp to S-BO's mutual SE gain) but they are both 3cc.
    To balance Zaladar, who relies on his ability more than many other heroes, but can win the game through it alone if he can use it too many more times than his opponent.
    Congratulations to Preybird for designing my Avatar!

In Game Handle: Warr Byrd

Contributions to the Game:
    Flavor text for Wild Berserker: The odds are always in my favor
    PFG3: To Be Released Soon™

Tournament Wins: None, I'm Timmy Johnny not Spike!

Shout out to Gondorian, nerull7, Nikola D, plo, Preybird, Super Grover, and Zhou86 for submitting potential avatars!