Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Looking for feedback on my Gwen deck

Hi everyone. I started playing SE about a week ago and I am completely addicted. I have never played Magic (which probably has save me $$$$) so I am struggling a bit with deck building. I found a great post by Ralph about building and thats where I started. Below is what my deck is now.

Hero: Gwenneth

Allies:

Lily Rosecult x 1
    Wendeth Eagleeye x 2

Abilities:

Retreat x 4
    Special Delivery X 4
    Ley Nexus x 2

Attachments:

Aimed Shot x 1
    Rapid Fire x 3
    Into the Forest x 4

Traps:

Death Trap x 1
    Snar Trap x 3

Support:

Rain Delay x 4
    Bazaar x 3

Weapons:

Soul Seeker x 4
    Grundlers Double x 3

Hero + 39

Any advice to a new player would be helpful. The deck has done 'meh' in challenges. I'd say I have a 40% win.

Thanks for helping a noob

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    i think you need to focus your deck more. i don't think you need the Special Delivery at all cause it cost 4 and deal 3 damage, that will only kill 1-2 cost ally so the cost isn't worth it. and since you have qwen ability which boost your weapon up to 4 and that will kill most 3-4 cost allies. i would switch the bazaar for Tainted Oracle or bad santa(now that i learn).

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by azx634 View Post
    i think you need to focus your deck more. i don't think you need the Special Delivery at all cause it cost 4 and deal 3 damage, that will only kill 1-2 cost ally so the cost isn't worth it. and since you have qwen ability which boost your weapon up to 4 and that will kill most 3-4 cost allies. i would switch the bazaar for Tainted Oracle or bad santa(now that i learn).
    Thanks. The focus of my deck is lacking. My goal is a deck that provides little chance of opposing allies to attack. I'll drop bazaar (not really a fan of that card) and try tainted oracle. Is bad Santa that great? How is it used strategically?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Actually Bazaar is really good for a solo Gwen. Definitely stick with it, I would say. Also Special Delivery is good in this kind of deck. I would rather drop Wendith and Lily and even aimed shot. I would strongly recommend going with 4 rapid fire (your key card). And 4 bazaar! :P

This kind of deck is a hit or miss. Some games your opponents will have no chance againts you and others will go the other way round. Although it is nice, if you are new I would recommend trying a control deck (maybe you could try Majiya first, as she has a draw engine as her ability).

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by leblinski View Post
    Actually Bazaar is really good for a solo Gwen. Definitely stick with it, I would say. Also Special Delivery is good in this kind of deck. I would rather drop Wendith and Lily and even aimed shot. I would strongly recommend going with 4 rapid fire (your key card). And 4 bazaar! :P

This kind of deck is a hit or miss. Some games your opponents will have no chance againts you and others will go the other way round. Although it is nice, if you are new I would recommend trying a control deck (maybe you could try Majiya first, as she has a draw engine as her ability).
    Thanks Lebinski. is 1 more rapid fire going to make much difference? Since I can have only 1 in play it seems over kill. What would u recommend dropping if I added Special Delivery back in? Or should I just play a 44/45 card deck? I've seen people playing with over 60 cards in a deck but they don't seem to have much advantage.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    The thing is that in the current meta there are a lot of ways to get rid of your rapid fire. That's a major reason to have 4 of them. In a deck like this, you want as much consistency as possible. To achieve it, you want to stick to 39 cards + hero.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Ah. Cool. Thanks for the help
    Slingin' the biggest nuts in town.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Stwill73 View Post
    Thanks. The focus of my deck is lacking. My goal is a deck that provides little chance of opposing allies to attack. I'll drop bazaar (not really a fan of that card) and try tainted oracle. Is bad Santa that great? How is it used strategically?
    Regarding Bad Santa there are a few ways it is used.

The most common is simply to dig through your deck to find your actual draw engine in your case Bazaar.

The second case is similar to the first in that it is used in decks that are more likely to benefit from cheap extra cards than their opponent is. Elad rush is a good example of this. In theory she is giving her opponent card advantage but because she can use the cheap bost of cards to end the game the opposing player does not benefit from this advantage. Other examples could be decks with no real draw can level the playing field with Santa.

Third there are the tons of stratigies involving the other player's maximum hand size preventing getting full use out of Santa. The most famous is Santa Bombing. This is when the first player plays something t1 then does a t2 santa drawing all 3 cards plus a 4th from his standard draw while he effectively gives his opponent nothing as they go up from 6 to 7 cards but then don't draw on their turn so they net 0. Other popular times to play santa are right after Killing your opponent's Tainted Oracle as the odds are they have more than 3 cards in hand at this point after they Sac Lamb as the same effect. The problem with the method above is of course you are still relying on you opponent playing certain cards even if they are common. Other forms of the same stratigy involve using Retreat or DoU then Santa Do Not try this in the other order as you cannot use Retreat on their ally if their hand is full similarly DoU will not return it to their hand and the ally will retaliate. Elemental decks often use Santa in this way to go for a one way card steal with Dimention Ripper. The Idea in this case is similar though technically oposite fill their hand with santa so they cannot draw one of your cards from DR.

I think that covers the main tactics but there is still a good amount more to say on that card.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by qaz92zaq View Post
    Regarding Bad Santa there are a few ways it is used.

The most common is simply to dig through your deck to find your actual draw engine in your case Bazaar.

The second case is similar to the first in that it is used in decks that are more likely to benefit from cheap extra cards than their opponent is. Elad rush is a good example of this. In theory she is giving her opponent card advantage but because she can use the cheap bost of cards to end the game the opposing player does not benefit from this advantage. Other examples could be decks with no real draw can level the playing field with Santa.

Third there are the tons of stratigies involving the other player's maximum hand size preventing getting full use out of Santa. The most famous is Santa Bombing. This is when the first player plays something t1 then does a t2 santa drawing all 3 cards plus a 4th from his standard draw while he effectively gives his opponent nothing as they go up from 6 to 7 cards but then don't draw on their turn so they net 0. Other popular times to play santa are right after Killing your opponent's Tainted Oracle as the odds are they have more than 3 cards in hand at this point after they Sac Lamb as the same effect. The problem with the method above is of course you are still relying on you opponent playing certain cards even if they are common. Other forms of the same stratigy involve using Retreat or DoU then Santa Do Not try this in the other order as you cannot use Retreat on their ally if their hand is full similarly DoU will not return it to their hand and the ally will retaliate. Elemental decks often use Santa in this way to go for a one way card steal with Dimention Ripper. The Idea in this case is similar though technically oposite fill their hand with santa so they cannot draw one of your cards from DR.

I think that covers the main tactics but there is still a good amount more to say on that card.
    I think you explain an awesome amount for the card. These are all good tips so just try most of them out on story and see what your more comfortable with. Maybe a few QM's.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    One more thing with Santa, it's direct damage when your opponent's hero decks out (3 damage for 2!). That nasty trick has won me many games.
    Extra Tough Claws - Proud Member of ETC

Articles | Decklist | Fan Fiction

Shadow Era Art Thread | PB @ DeviantArt

PFG Member | I've been interviewed!