Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Wink Eladwen Rush Burn budget deck

Warning : I'm french, my english su*ks. like, a lot.

------

Hello guys ! I'm new to this forum and it surprises me a bit how active it is. Since I play only the digital version, I believe this forum is an awesome place to get experience and feedback. That's why I want to start now by showing off my deck and ask you what you think of it.

I started the game with a human rogue 30 card deck, and after playing a few games, the first two cards that I wanted to try were the powerfull draw engines wich are Blood Frenzy and Tome of Knowledge. (I know there are a lot of other CA awesome cards but those are the two I realized first)
    I decided to go for a Mage, and since I had already a human base, went for Eladwen.

A few more game and I'm now at 198 rating, but I still face so many bad decks that I still can't really figure out if my deck is good or not.

I guess it's not really outstanding or borderline, I heard a lot of things about Eladwen being overused. But hey I understand, you can build a decent deck really fast with that hero, and she is quite helpfull in a lot of situation.

So this is my deck :

Hero :

Eladwen Frostmire

Main curve :

1x Twilight Tribe Herald
    2x Kristoffer Wyld
    4x Dirk Saber
    4x Puwen Bloodhelm
    4x Blake Windrunner
    3x Aldon the Brave
    1x Gaderi Barbarian
    1x Jasmine Rosecult
    4x Tome of Knowledge
    1x Sandra Trueblade
    1x Tainted Oracle

Support Curve :

1x Static Shock
    4x Fireball
    4x Lightning Strike
    1x Engulfing Flames
    1x Artful Squire
    1x Ley Line Nexus
    1x Supernova

Ok so this is a straitforward Rush/Aggro/Burn deck. It is not complete, I have to remove a bit of two-drops (Dirk I guess ?), Engulfing Flames, and Static Shock. I think of adding some three drops like Jasmine or even a fourth Aldon (this guy rocks), but I'm not sure that is really what I need to make the deck more consistent against bad match ups.

Actually, I think it goes this way :

Good match up : I won't talk of decks with too much cards, and no CA machines, wich are often easily beatable... I think I'm quite okay against any "fair decks". I mean deck that don't go to much in only weapon, skills and armor. This depends a lot on the beginning of the game. If they start and secure the board with a good two drop, all my arush strategy is delayed and I have to try to beat them with CA and massive weeny board control.

Bad match up : I suffer a lot against weapons. If I can break it by throwing all my two drops on it really fast, it's ok. But if I don't already have board control, if it has too much durability (Gwenneth...), or if it's one of those two weapons that can't be broken (Golden Katar and the fangs), I'm quite dead. I just can't grab the board with my small creatures anymore, and if the opposing Hero is still high in life, I have quite to no solution. That's of course why I added Artful Squire and Ley Line Nexus, but Wolves are still an horrible match up.
    I also fought a good priest deck, and that drawing staff was a nightmare.

So what should I do ? Make the aggressive proactive part even more consistent and cry against Lone Wolves ? Or try to put more stuff-breaking stuff and be less efficient against fair decks ?

Are they cards I should play (A weapon maybe) ? What do you know on the high metagame (~250 rating) ?

Thanks for any comments, any support, any suggestion !

(and pleeaase, no "Eladwen is OP anyway". Please. That seems far from true.)

Updated Deck :

Hero :

Eladwen Frostmire

Main curve :

1x Twilight Tribe Herald
    3x Kristoffer Wyld
    1x Dirk Saber
    1x Champion of Irum
    4x Puwen Bloodhelm
    4x Blake Windrunner
    3x Aldon the Brave
    3x Jasmine Rosecult
    4x Tome of Knowledge
    2x Tainted Oracle

Support Curve :

4x Fireball
    4x Lightning Strike
    2x Artful Squire
    1x Ley Line Nexus
    1x Supernova
    1x Dagger of Unmaking
    Last edited by Le Dorian; 07-16-2013 at 12:35 PM. Reason: updated deck list

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Hi, Le Dorian.

Those 1x cards tend to make your deck inconsistent. Perhaps keep the two five-cost abilities, but choose one or two of the remaining 1x-cards that seem most useful, and eliminate some others.

Would it help to add Voltar's Ring, Violet Thunderstorm, and more Static Shock? Use Champion of Irum? Increase the number of Squires (these can help in combat, when there are no cheap items to destroy...)?
    Least active member of: ETC (Ended There by Chance)
    Account for Gondorian to transfer Shadow Crystals to: m0ghedian

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Maybe throw in a few Armored Sandworms. They'll help if your rush breaks down, and they can help with breaking weapons much more easily.

EDIT: Just remembered, Riders of Ellos can help with weapons, too.
    Last edited by Elunatic; 07-12-2013 at 03:33 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by a player View Post
    Hi, Le Dorian.

Those 1x cards tend to make your deck inconsistent. Perhaps keep the two five-cost abilities, but choose one or two of the remaining 1x-cards that seem most useful, and eliminate some others.

Would it help to add Voltar's Ring, Violet Thunderstorm, and more Static Shock? Use Champion of Irum? Increase the number of Squires (these can help in combat, when there are no cheap items to destroy...)?
    I agree for the majority of the one-of. But as you say, I'll keep the two five-costed, because they are game changing in the right situation, but don't need to be drawn (drew ? drawed ? sorry again for my english) early. Anyway, this game, with only 39-cards deck and draw engines, alows you to play this toolbox aspect. But I'll remove Gaderi, Engulfing Flames, Static Shock, and maybe the one drop when I can. This, plus cuting some of the Dirks, will make room for more 2x or 3x instead of 1x.

I'm not a big fan of the electric interactions since the two times I played against it didn't perform very well for my oppenent. But I'll definitely try it when I'll have some more money before saying it's bad.

Champion of Irum seems good, and I want to have some, but I don't think it's the first investment I'll make since he is pretty expensive.

Agree for the Squire, at least one more (my problem with adding too many is for the curve, but since you can sac them anyway I'll think about it.)

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Elunatic View Post
    Maybe throw in a few Armored Sandworms. They'll help if your rush breaks down, and they can help with breaking weapons much more easily.

EDIT: Just remembered, Riders of Ellos can help with weapons, too.
    Right for Armored Sandworms, it seems good even against the unbreakable fangs. I don't really like Riders of Ellos for the curve, but I'll try it too.

Thanks for your reply !

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I would recommend removing Blake Windrunner as it usually dies without doing anything later on in the game. Also a dead draw if Evil Ascendant is in play.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Updated a bit !

-3 Dirk Saber
    -1 Gaderi Barbarian
    -1 Sandra Trueblade
    -1 Static Shock
    -1 Engulfing Flames

+1 Kristoffer Wyld
    +1 Champion of Irum
    + 2 Jasmine Rosecult
    +1 Tainted Oracle
    +1 Artful Squire
    +1 Dagger of Unmaking

Just oppened a foil Champion of Irum ! Really really happy as I needed one and this is my first foil !

Quote Originally Posted by -V- View Post
    I would recommend removing Blake Windrunner as it usually dies without doing anything later on in the game. Also a dead draw if Evil Ascendant is in play.
    A turn 2 Blake if there is no ally in play is really frightening and powerfull. Even if deals only one time its damage, 3 or 4 (with Aldon) for 2cc is great. Anyway, I never faced a lot of Evil ascendant or Sewers, so I guess I'll change my mind when facing those I need a lot of 2-drops, what do you recommend instead ? Dirk seems always bad, Champion doesn't secure the board on turn 2...

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Why no lightning strike? The best 4cc mage card in the game (IMO)!

I think you need to reconsider your thoughts on the amount of 2cc allies. I would go for no more than 3 champions and 3 puwens and then add more 3cc creatures. Priest of the Light could be a good ally to add since he gives you heal and can hold your opponents SE ability back. The Seductress can also be usefull because of her summoning effect.

Also if you really want to play rush/aggro you should drop the defensive cards such as the squire, sever ties and the dagger of unmaking because you to play aggressive and focus on allies and burn - which is where lightning strike comes into the picture. My advice would be for you to focus on what that wins you games and not on what cards that slows your opponent. For a mage like elad quick burn and rush allies are a winning combination. Max up on fireballs, lightning strike, novas and a lot of quick draw and you'll be able to speedkill those annoying warriors and wulven heroes!

Well, that's just my point of view but if you want more advice please let me know
    Best Regards,

Bobbypim
    [ Warwizard of the Jutland Plains ]

Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn
    ( Read about my guild )

IGN: BP Bobbypim

Card designs:
    Dwarven Aid | Undead Siege | Viking Storm | Heroes Rising | Coming of Dragons
    Trackers of Night | Keystones

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbypim View Post
    Why no lightning strike? The best 4cc mage card in the game (IMO)!

I think you need to reconsider your thoughts on the amount of 2cc allies. I would go for no more than 3 champions and 3 puwens and then add more 3cc creatures. Priest of the Light could be a good ally to add since he gives you heal and can hold your opponents SE ability back. The Seductress can also be usefull because of her summoning effect.

Also if you really want to play rush/aggro you should drop the defensive cards such as the squire, sever ties and the dagger of unmaking because you to play aggressive and focus on allies and burn - which is where lightning strike comes into the picture. My advice would be for you to focus on what that wins you games and not on what cards that slows your opponent. For a mage like elad quick burn and rush allies are a winning combination. Max up on fireballs, lightning strike, novas and a lot of quick draw and you'll be able to speedkill those annoying warriors and wulven heroes!

Well, that's just my point of view but if you want more advice please let me know
    Well I actually play 4 LS since the beginning And no Sever Ties... But Sever ties seems awesome against warriors ! 10 life less for 4cc. Bam.

Anyway I guess you are right about the 2 and 3cc allies. I wouldn't go that far, but moving the curve more around three seems better. And I totally forgot about Priest of the Light. I will also try to replace Squires by Novas to see were it goes !