Close

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Eladwen Nerf

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by LILBTHEBASEDGOD View Post
    not going to veer things off topic here, but i can say there are most definitely aggro decks (Goblins just top 8'd SCG Worcester) and the field has more decks than any other format in magic, vintage not counted. yes there's a ton of RUG decks running around, but there's at least 20 defined and playable archetypes right now.
    Huh, so Goblins are back? I don't really understand how that happened (or rather, what changed) but ok, that's good to hear.

Also 20 playable archetypes, hmm...

Delver
    Dredge
    Combo Humans
    Belcher
    High Tide
    Elves
    Burn
    Nausea
    Death and Taxes
    Goblins
    Reanimator
    Jund
    Affinity
    Show and Tell
    Merfolk
    Maverick

That's 16. It's definitely more than I remembered at first (this all is coming from memory so that's a thing). I can probably question how competitive some of those decks are (mainly burn, Jund and probably even Affinity and Dredge) but still, they are defined archetypes.

Anyway, back to the topic. The biggest problem with rush Elad is that it lacks decision making. On turns 1 and 2 I'm mostly used to having to think what to play (less in standard because there usually is a 1-drop that's slightly better than the others) instead of going "I hope I have this card on this turn" every game.

The more I think about it, the less it seems like a balance problem though. The metagame seems so midrange oriented and midrange generally does pretty well against aggro.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Airact View Post
    Huh, so Goblins are back? I don't really understand how that happened (or rather, what changed) but ok, that's good to hear.

Also 20 playable archetypes, hmm...

Delver
    Dredge
    Combo Humans
    Belcher
    High Tide
    Elves
    Burn
    Nausea
    Death and Taxes
    Goblins
    Reanimator
    Jund
    Affinity
    Show and Tell
    Merfolk
    Maverick

That's 16. It's definitely more than I remembered at first (this all is coming from memory so that's a thing). I can probably question how competitive some of those decks are (mainly burn, Jund and probably even Affinity and Dredge) but still, they are defined archetypes.

Anyway, back to the topic. The biggest problem with rush Elad is that it lacks decision making. On turns 1 and 2 I'm mostly used to having to think what to play (less in standard because there usually is a 1-drop that's slightly better than the others) instead of going "I hope I have this card on this turn" every game.

The more I think about it, the less it seems like a balance problem though. The metagame seems so midrange oriented and midrange generally does pretty well against aggro.
    That's what I was trying to get at, though it certainly wasn't as eloquently written. I blame typing on an iPhone :P
    Proud member of Team Juggernauts | PFG member

IGN: TJ Xantese

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I have seen (and had) this discussion when I first started. The <200 rankings are flooded with eladwen rush. I had forgotten all about it until I started an alt. Eladwen rush plays fast games. Fast xp,gold, and ratings for players trying to enter the mid-field range. Plus, it is the only deck that i can think of where you can look at your starting hand and say, "yep, I win". I had to switch to Bb and toss in 3 spell eater bands to break thru to the 200s, playing against her every other game does get very old, very fast. That's probably why they all switch to eladwen, actually
    IGN: xSeanx, zChiefz

Meltdown FAQ
    http://www.shadowera.com/showthread....A-How-To-Guide
    Getting Started: Gold Farming/Deck Building
    http://www.shadowera.com/showthread....ding*&p=397749

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Why are there 7 pages of comments on a mage nerf thread? XD
    I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.
    Enlightened Technological Creature
    A Proud Member of ETC
    My 10 step guide to deck building
    My published 1.6 decks

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by XanteseZerylliom View Post
    That's what I was trying to get at, though it certainly wasn't as eloquently written. I blame typing on an iPhone :P
    That still doesn't make it not a problem. It just tells me that the game is too focused on a certain sequence of turns.

Nothing can be done about it now but it should be taken into account in the next set