Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Turin View Post
    Sorry for not getting it. What's the point in 4X Bazaar and 4X Voltar's Ring if you can only lay one of each and they hardly get ever removed?
    The point is you get it soon enough, like turn 2 or 3, or even get it in your first hand, so you can use it as soon as possible to help you out in the game. The other ones you can sacrifice later, or cast (in case the opponent get rid of the one that was in play before)

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I've been testing this extreme fun build over and over, for about 200 skill points, and there are some things, I need to say:

a.) Static Shock
    I find, it is underrated for a reason! In theory, four damage for only two sounds great but you have to consider, that when you usually need it, Voltar's Ring is not out yet. Even worse is that the damage is split and that with this build Allies are normally not a real problem so in reality if you use Static Shock it mostly only does one damage to the opposing hero.
    Even if it sounds reasonable to have it to fend off early attackers, I've found that SS is the only card I easily sacrify. For early attackers you already have 4x Retreat! and 4x Consuming Fear. Also, I never managed to scare away rushers with it and bombing the hero with 1 damage didn't help me a lot either. To me, Static Shock seems like a complete waste of valuable slots and there are so many other cards that would be of great value to this build.

b.) Damage Distribution
    If you use this build, keep in mind that your overall damage is limited. So if you are getting rushed and waste any of your Fireball or Lightning Strike on allies, it is basically over! Just wanted to mention this.

c.) Voltar's Ring
    It may sound crazy because this build is based on it, but I'm beginning to think if it really is worth wasting 4 slots on it. I'm not using Static Shock anymore (see a for reasoning) and you often have to waste one or two of your Lightning Strike to prevent rushing, so all I get from it are like 2 points of damage plus the reduction. I'm really not sure if the reduction is worth it considering that there are tons of other things you need to get out: Bazaar, Voice of Winter, and yes - Snow Sapphire is a must like other people have mentioned earlier. I'm really not sure and hope that there are people that are more clever who can reason its use!

d.) Rain Delay
    I know, there is lots of hate about it and it is not suggested to use it in this build. However, we don't use Allies plus I've been running in situations where I truly wish I would have one of those with me. On Priests, Consuming Fear is useless! If you get rushed and Voice of Winter is not yet out, your single target defences will make you sweat sometimes. I will leave it to the experts to reason why Rain Delay would be such a bad thing on this build.

e.) Snow Sapphire
    As has been mentioned by other people: At the moment I only got one of those on me, but it has saved my ass many many times already. In fact, it has proven to be so useful that I'm starting to think about stocking four of them. Don't forget that some people use weapons that are cheaper than 5, so Ley Line Nexus might not always work. Hunter, Werewolf, Warrior - no matter which one you face, you will need it. In fact, this is happening quite often to me. And even if not, the damage reduction is always worth it. Stocking 4 of them and having to bring it out makes me rethinking Voltar's Ring s usefulness.

But what do I know. Thanks for the build is it tons of fun and these are just my findings after testing is extensively!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I'm very glad you are enjoying the deck. It is not so easy to play as you may think at first glance. You need to be constantly comboing damage to keep the board clear and doing it in a way that maximizes damage to your opponent's hero. A single misplay can cost you the game, I've won more games with my health at one point with this deck than any other. But all that matters is that my opponent hits zero before I do.

The deck is built around Voltars. Having four is essential because I need to get it down as soon as possible in order to realize the potential of my other cards. It turns every LS into a double fireball and don't forget the very important fact that it also enables you to take out 5 health allies with a single Nish blast.

Static shock I will sacrifice if I draw it before I have a ring in hand and it has no target like Kris or Blake. but it is a very good card in this deck because it's a mini LS; half the cost half the damage. It comboes easily with my other cards and Nish's ability to take down high health allies, it is needed for this reason as well as sparing cards like LS to be used on appropriate targets instead of wasted on the likes of karash for example. Yes, it is weak without a ring, but again that's why I need 4 rings and my top priority in any game is getting a ring down.

Like I said in OP, I hardly will ever use LS before a ring is down and these I will never sac. I'd rather sac or use a fireball early. If you are playing right, you should be able to safely save all your LS until the ring is down, chances are high that you will draw one in a timely manner.

Originally I played this deck without any VoW or armor (I use VT btw). I suggest you try this because it will force you to learn how to play cards like static shock and lightning strike in the most effective way. Then when you add VoW and armor back in it will be like icing on the cake instead of your win con.

I don't use rain delay because I'd rather kill enemy allies than stall them. Snow Saph is great but 2 should be enough. 4 copies of a 6cc card will really clutter your hand.

modify and make it your own, I'm not discouraging this Im just trying to help with how to play the decklist that I posted. You may be better with rain delays instead of static shock but then realize you are playing a completely different deck and the synergies of the original deck no longer apply.
    Last edited by Jets; 07-31-2013 at 07:01 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I run a fairly similar deck, but I have to disagree with leaving out Rain Delay. If you somehow manage to let your enemy stack up allies, usually because of bad draws, rain delay can be a wonderful blocker, especially for decks that rely on getting out multiple allies every turn. It allows you to A) pull more cards to try to wipe the deck, B) potentially use Nish's ability, and C) Get extra time to destroy, retreat, or otherwise neutralize enemy allies. In addition, I find that it will very often give me the space I need to ignite or poison the enemy hero. Otherwise I usually end up saccing those cards because I have no space to play them early on when they are most useful.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I'm loving this deck. Doubled my rating already, and I still haven't gotten all the LLNs or Bad Santas I need. Super fun to play. I may add an armor to it, probably one or two violet thunderstorms. I agree that static shock ends up being almost crucial against certain allies. I usually can play bazaar on T2, fireball on T3, voltars ring on T4, and VoW on T5, then use a Nish blast, and I pretty much won't take any damage for the rest of the battle. This obviously changes depending on the opponent. I have a lot of trouble with Darkclaw (obviously) and hunters that use the armor that prevents spells (LLN can take care of that though). Having a blast with it though, thanks for posting!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    glad you like it, definitely you need the bad santa's, it's a key card. Get snow saph first, it's a better armor and likely the best card to put in that tech slot. A 2/2 split of snow saph and voice of winter is really effective. Vt is for fun, just to be crazy.

re: Rain delay, it's good, put it in instead of nova or lln. otherwise there's just no room. This is more of an aggressive, kill everything build than a stall build. A stall deck would not revolve around voltars so the decksize could be increased.

Nova is really not needed, you can cut them out to increase the consistency.
    Last edited by Jets; 12-05-2013 at 06:39 AM.