Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Guide to understanding tournament formats

Hello Shadow Era players! Today I bring you a basic guide to explain the tournaments that are played in this entertaining game that we love so much.

I will lead you on a journey through the basic and complex tournaments that our community always provides for everybody. I promise to be as clear and simple as possible in the following paragraphs. Enjoy!

1st step

What is a tournament? It is a competition between two or more players in order to win prizes or a representative title. Sometimes community develops tournaments in order to practice and / or have fun.

Lets make a clarification:
    Round/match: You win or lose vs an opponent in a Bo1/3/5/...
    Game: You win or lose 1 duel vs an opponent but you didnt lose the round until you complete the Bo3/5/7/... unless is a Bo1

Types of tournaments:

A- Pop up: This type is characterized by its short duration, usually only lasts hours** (2 or 3) depending on the number of participants.

a- 8* players: if all goes well only lasts 1 ˝ to 2 hours**
    b- 16* players: between 2 ˝ to 3 hs**
    c- 32* players: between 3 ˝ to 5 hs**

*Tournament organizers are using different numbers of participants considering the amount of people who show up and are available to play at the appointed time as the beginning of the pop up (12, 24…). Just keep in mind that the length is proportional to the number of players and competition format.

**Duration for you in this pop up depends in what round you reach. If you lose in 1st round, then it will only last no more than 30 minutes. All those examples are made for those that reach the final.

There is some clarification on the definition of pop up: the logical definition is that it is a mini tournament that is planned and is played immediately without too much space in time between the planning and execution.
    In SE we have pop ups that are planned with days in advance to allow time for potential participants to register. Those are also pop ups but do not take into account the logical definition, they take into account its duration (a few hours).

B- Long Tournament: this kind of tournament is characterized in that its duration has days, weeks or months. Each round has a deadline to be completed (usually between 5 to 9 days). This class is aimed at those players who do not have the time to be playing a pop up and only have a few moments a day to play SE.
    Having defined this, lets move on to the different types of tournaments. Most can be identified by their title, format or rules written in the same thread of competition:

1- Elimination simple: this is the most common system in our community (Image 1)*

Image 1

* in all images are used as sample, 8 players.

In this case it is very simple: you face a player, if you lose you are eliminated and the winner continues to progress until there is a champion. Each organizer decides the rule for determining the amount of duels that will decide a defeat, can be Bo1, Bo3, Bo5 ... always choose an odd number so that there is no possibility of ties.

2- Double Elimination: This system was quite resisted in our community because it takes too long (Picture 2).

Image 2

This quite similar to the single-elimination with the only difference that losing a round, you have a second chance. You must lose on two different rounds to be eliminated. The final of this tournament will be played between Winner of winners brackets and Winner of Losers bracket.

Example: A loses to B while C loses D. B and D go to be winners while A and C must play in the round of losers. A defeats C, C is definitely out of the tournament and the loser of A expects B and D. So is continued until all but 1 have been eliminated 2 times.

The final can be take it in 2 ways and it really depends in the TO (Tournament Organizer):

1- Since is a Double Elimination some TOs apply the rule that if the winner of Losers bracket wants to be the champion, he/she must win 2 times the final because winner of Winners bracket has never been eliminated before until final#1. Ex: A won Winners brackets and B won Losers brackets. B won final #1 2 - 0 or 2 - 1. There must be a Final #2 and B must win again to become the champion while A only needs to win final #1 to get the prize.

2- Some TO's apply the rule that the Winner of Losers brackets must win the final 2 - 0, while winner of Winners brackets can be declared champion by only winning 1 game. Ex: A won Winners brackets and B won Losers brackets. They face each other in the final and A wins 1-0. Thats enough for A to become champion while B needs to win 2 -0 to become champion.

3- Round Robin: In this kind of tournament is used the system of all players against all players (picture 3)

Image 3

The system all against everybody is basically this: they all play at least one game against all other participants and the one that wins more rounds*, is the champion.

* Sometimes the winner is not the one that won more rounds, is the player that won more games. Ex: A won 5 rounds and B won 4 rounds, A won all his rounds 2 - 1 while B won all his rounds 2 - 0. In this case B will be the winner for having more points at the end even when he won less rounds than A.
    It really depends in the TO to decide which will be the rule that decides the winner (rounds won, points won, games won or in case of a tie: the one who won the match between the tied players)

Point system: The favourite bracket generator in SE is Challonge. This website uses a standard system of points in RR (1 point per round won and 1 extra point for every game won), you can also use the swiss tournament system...

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    4- Swiss: This tournament is very similar to RR (see point 3) with two differences (image 4)

Image 4

The 1st difference is you do not need to play against all other opponents. The organizer determines a number of rounds necessary to consecrate a champion.

The 2nd difference is that the rounds are not predetermined but it will at the end of Each round, the round of the following are determined by players with equal or near amount of points.

Example: A - 7 points, B - 6 points, C - 5 points and D - 4 points. The next round will consist of A vs B and C vs D for sharing the same or similar amount of points.

5- Tag team: this tournament, as the name implies, consists of teams of 2 or more participants (image 5).

Image 5

A team of 2 participants faced against another team with the same amount of players, each match is Bo1 and Bo3 for the couple.

Example 1: A and B face C and D. A beats C and B beats D. A and B team win the round and advance to the next with a resounding 2-0.

Example 2: A and B face C and D. A beats C but B lost to D. In this case there is a tie 1-1 between the teams and must have tiebreaker. The winners of both matchess (in this case A and D) face and whoever wins will give the victory to his team 2-1.

In these tournaments (Tag Team) you can use all kinds of formats: single elimination (see point 1), double elimination (see point 2), round robin (see point 3) and swiss (see point 4).

6- Sideboard: these tournaments are more specific as to the deck to be used rather than the format of the rounds.

Sideboard is an extra deck of our main deck. The number of cards that this sideboard should have is determined by the organizer which should be sent in advance of the start of the tournament.

Example #1: I have a deck of 40 cards and the rules say I must have a 10-card sideboard. This means that when faced my opponent, I use the main deck in the first game and before the second, I can exchange cards in my sideboard with my main deck as long as the number of cards in my deck remains the same (40 cards at the end of the first game, 40 cards at the start of second game).

Example #2: You can exchange cards from your sideboard with your main deck anytime you want, even for game 1.

2nd step

How can I join a tournament? I recommend you read this guide of azrae1 in SE forum http://www.shadowera.com/showthread....ough-the-forum

3rd step

How to organize a tournament? Patience, and soon I will upload a guide of how to organize your own tournament. By now we have to settle with understanding formats.

Epilogue

Okay this is it! This is the basic guide to understanding some formats of the tournaments that are organized in the community of SE. If you have doubts or questions about other formats not mentioned, please do not hesitate to post here and I assure you that sooner or later they will get their answer.
    Last edited by SET Colosal; 07-04-2013 at 02:43 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Reserved for future changes and new tournament formats
    Last edited by SET Colosal; 07-04-2013 at 02:44 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    *bows*
    Leader of Rising Sun
    Learn, Improve, Succeed

Relevant RS Links:
    About Us|Trophy Room
    Card Gallery|How to Apply

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Just b'cuz of the Messi and Pikachu samples.
    Leader of Rising Sun
    Learn, Improve, Succeed

Relevant RS Links:
    About Us|Trophy Room
    Card Gallery|How to Apply

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Very nice guide! I finally understand the tournament scene now

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Much needed article for the game.
    +1 for sticky.
    Psalms 19:1 - The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky above proclaims his handiwork.

A reason to fight. A purpose to defend. A brotherhood to cherish.
    The Warriors of the Blue Phoenix await you right here.

:: My guide to basic deck-building ::

Conquestadore
    :: Warden of the Phoenix Causeway ::
    :: Warrior of the Blue Phoenix ::
    :: Greatness Reborn ::

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Great article. Really good job

P.S. Go go OG Colly!
    Knight of the Dragon Order
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix (click)
    Greatness, Reborn

My current achievements:Achievements
    PFG3 Member

FOLLOW ME ON SOCIAL MEDIA
    https://twitter.com/meeeklosh
    https://www.twitch.tv/meeklosh
    https://www.youtube.com/user/milosradojevicvp/videos

1.27 Tournament Champion Raphael Majere's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Sticky please

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Emma Stone is so good that she can compete in a tag team tournament by herself!
    Congratulations to Preybird for designing my Avatar!

In Game Handle: Warr Byrd

Contributions to the Game:
    Flavor text for Wild Berserker: The odds are always in my favor
    PFG3: To Be Released Soon™

Tournament Wins: None, I'm Timmy Johnny not Spike!

Shout out to Gondorian, nerull7, Nikola D, plo, Preybird, Super Grover, and Zhou86 for submitting potential avatars!