Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Solo Human Mage- need some help

So pretty much the entirety of the time I have played, I have been trying to get down a good solo human Mage. For my hero, I have settled on Eladwen, because the lower cost and the control seems to work better for me (though I am far from sure). I don't do too badly, but I only really have a 50% win ratio, and feel that I could use some tips.

I used to run three frosted urgoths, but they didn't really work. I am considering bringing them back. I use bazaar instead of ToK because I both need crazy amounts of cards and use all my resource fairly consistently. The shatters are for combos with Voice of Winter and Sapphire. If you have suggestions for me, be it switching heroes or card changes, post here and try to share your reasoning.

Cards: EDITED
    1x Nishaven
    3x Voice of Winter
    2x Snow Sapphire
    3x Clinging Webs
    4x Bazaar
    2x Rain Delay
    4x Fireball
    4x Lightning Strike
    2x Poison Gas
    2x Engulfing Flames
    1x Supernova
    2x Retreat
    2x Shrine of Negatia
    2x Ley Line Nexus
    2x Dome of Energy
    2x Static Shock
    2x Voltar's Ring
    0x Thoughtful Investment
    3x Consuming Fear
    2x Shatter Ice

Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by Crazydanddgnat; 07-02-2013 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Deck edit

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    why voltar's ring? yeah, it works with lightning strike but its not worth using just for that and static shock? go with arcane burst instead. or even better, meteor storm. maybe voltar's if you were using violet thunderstorm instead of snow sapphire.

more than 1 supernova is a no no. you dont want to be using that in a solo mage. you will die so fast.

retreat, i dont like in a solo mage. you want them dead, not returning later to deal with... why not consuming fear. awesome card.

why thoughtful investment?

i would also go with 4 voice of winter and 4 snow sapphire (or violet thunderstorms)

why dome of energy? i dont like that card.

rain delay? either go with 4 or dont use it i think.

only 3 bazaar for draw?

you said you were using shatter ice (another good reason to go 4 on voice and snow sapphire) but you dont have them in the list.

you might want to use freezing grip instead of clinging webs if you are using shatter ice. but personally, i prefer webs over grip.

its very hard to pull off a solo eladwen (nishaven is a better choice for a solo human mage). i love solo decks but i have stayed away from her myself and used majiya and hishaven for solo mages.
    lil dark riding hood Queen of A1 Evolution in Theory
    Alliance One recruitment thread
    RED
    my EPIC videos
    Evolution in Theory
    SE Card Price Guide - My Deck Building Guide
    all my decks together
    owner of Earthen Protector flavor text
    Caitlyn™: collecting rage quits since 2011

Evolution in Theory

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Yeah the Voltar's usually is just a sac, but when I do manage to get it out I haven't, lost a single game yet, especially with static shock which suddenly becomes a very good card, and it certainly helps against anybody who uses lightning strike (a guarantee on mages) or who does any kind of lightning damage. I had meteor storm for a long time, but suddenly realized that there was almost no situation that I could use it in. Violet thunderstorm, I realized that I would always rather get a snow sapphire or even a Dome of Energy.

After reading your solo Majiya thread, I decided to cut down on supernova.

Retreat is usually a wonderful way to gain tempo for me. Especially when you factor in voice of winter, which I usually have out by the time the other guy can get out his T5. I found that using it instead of grip, especially on late-game when most start to beef up their allies, significantly helped me out.

To be honest I haven't really tried consuming fear, I will go do that.

Thoughtful investment is a recent experiment, it lets me get out some of my multicasts much earlier and saves me from having to sac a card, but my use is pretty much only if I've gotten rid of all the other guy's allies.

I had four sapphires and voices, but I was drawing too many of them when I had no use for them at all. It was making getting cards that I needed when I already had them down harder to draw.

Dome of energy is incredibly cheap armor, and you would be surprised at how many people won't attack you with allies when you have it on for fear of weakening them

Rain delay is only better than any other 2 resource control when there are two or three allies out. So I cut down to try to both reduce deck size and because you are pretty likely to get it by the time you need it anyway. Early on, it's just clinging webs but one less turn. And prettier.

I keep meaning to put in another bazaar.

I keep fluctuating between having shatter ice in and not having it, but I think I just forgot it lol.

I dropped my grip because any situation where I had enough resource to cast it with shatter there would almost always be a better option. Like webs, as you said. Cheaper and does almost the same thing.

I will try Nishaven again, but I'm worried about that very high energy cost.

Obviously I'm still trying to work out solo mages in general, so thanks so much for your help!
    I will revamp, then update.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    let me know how it goes. i am always interested in knowing how well solo heroes go.

and if you try Nishaven again, dont worry about the cost of his ability. and with voltar's ring, it does 5 damage.
    RED
    my EPIC videos
    Evolution in Theory
    all my decks together

Evolution in Theory

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    It's slightly better than before, though its hard to tell in random matches. I'm considering adding VT and maybe more Static and another Voltar's to maximize utility from Voltar's. What is your opinion, and do you think I need a few more draws?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Yeah I was about to say if you're using Volars Ring, which is sort of like the most annoying card in the game, you really wanna be rocking Nishaven to get the most out of it. But really you'd be better off putting in a card that does damage, instead of one you need to draw to do extra damage.
    The Man, The Myth, The NikeemAsur
    Facebook: MeekinOnMovies
    @MeekinOnMovies

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I'm not so sure, especially against elementals and other mages you can't forget the defense boost. It also makes static shock a great card, and you would be surprised at how often nish's ability needs it to kill things.

The only other damage dealer that affects heroes not in my deck is surprise delivery, which doesn't even come close to the utility Voltar's has.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Long story short, I won the last eight games I have played. I have added the two VT I wanted in exchange for my shatters, which haven't seen use for a while, and swept the board absurdly.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    voltar's and violet thunderstorm... awesome
    RED
    my EPIC videos
    Evolution in Theory
    all my decks together

Evolution in Theory

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Like 11-1 win/loss with this deck, would be more but I'm too busy playing limbo and watching yugioh abridged