Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

An Interesting Twist. How Would This Change the Game?

I was imagining playing a physical version of Shadow Era where the hero was played face down and wouldn't be revealed until the controlling player activated the hero's shadow ability. ie the duel began in the "Cover of Night". This option could also be implemented digitally very easily to add a new dimension to the game and spark some new interest. I imagine this format could also have a separate ranking system as well.

If the game was played this way I was curious what hero's would dominate, if any less used heroes would be used more often, and / or if there were any new play styles that would develop.

Would love to hear your thoughts / feedback. A possible name for this format could be "Nocturnal Advantage"
    Love always looks for the best, never looks back, and keeps going until the end. Love is not self seeking. Love doesn't keep track of others wrongs. Love is patient and kind; isn't proud or rude; not easily angered; does not delight in evil; always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. All who learn from the Father come to ___.

Love rejoices in the truth.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Interesting, but I think for the most part it would be pretty easy to tell based on the cards the other person uses to tell down to at least what faction/class combination they are using. For example, if my opponent plays Puwen on T2, then I know they are a human, then if they use Fireball on T3, I know they're a mage, and are henceforth either Eladwen or Nishaven, and if I get to find out when they use there ability, I'm going to most likely find out by the next turn.
    "IT'S TIME TO DUEL!!!"
    "The Magnificent."
    Account for any future SC transfers by Gondorian: BP tman507

Member of PFG3
    Master of Hand-to-hand Combat
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Official Shadow Era Wiki Moderator

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Yeah, using any traditional deck, you would at least know the class and faction, if not which hero, your opponent is using by turn 6 or 7, so the only real change would be how concerned you were about saccing tech cards in the early game. I suppose somebody could make a deck using only faction or class cards to try and take advantage of this format with a hero that could hold off on using its ability and spam it starting turn 10, but with the current card pool I think that would weaken the deck more than the element of surprise would help it.
    Congratulations to Preybird for designing my Avatar!

In Game Handle: Warr Byrd

Contributions to the Game:
    Flavor text for Wild Berserker: The odds are always in my favor
    PFG3: To Be Released Soon™

Tournament Wins: None, I'm Timmy Johnny not Spike!

Shout out to Gondorian, nerull7, Nikola D, plo, Preybird, Super Grover, and Zhou86 for submitting potential avatars!

DP Visionary
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I think this, in combination with meltdown, would make an amazing format.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    This will be very interesting when we have like 50 heroes. or in a 2v2 mode where one of the players could hide their card at beginning(dunno how this mode works )
    Last edited by Index; 07-02-2013 at 12:08 AM.
    Buried Treasure of Nanana
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix/ Greatness, Reborn
    My tournament achievements

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I like the facedown card idea. (Not necessarily for the hero but for all cards) That's why I like trap cards (I wish there were more of them for more factions) But I digress. I agree with Index, This idea would be a lot more interesting if there were a lot more heroes or in a 2v2 mode.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Another way you would be able to tell which hero you are facing (or not facing at least) is by that heroes health.. Simply putting -1 and +1 counters on top of a face down hero wouldnt suffice, its only fair to know exactly how many hits it will take to finish off your opponent..

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    It wouldn't. You could tell easily and it's ultimately pointless

DP Visionary
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Kross View Post
    Another way you would be able to tell which hero you are facing (or not facing at least) is by that heroes health.. Simply putting -1 and +1 counters on top of a face down hero wouldnt suffice, its only fair to know exactly how many hits it will take to finish off your opponent..
    You would be able to tell to some extent, but if your opponent has 28 health for example, that leaves 8 possible heroes that you could be up against.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeniva View Post
    It wouldn't. You could tell easily and it's ultimately pointless
    Really? So if I was playing up against you in meltdown, and I just played a puwen, followed by what big teeth, and then chimera, you would be able to tell what hero I was playing?
    Or say in a normal format, I played ironhide karash then Infernal Gargoyle, or puwen followed by Aldon, you could tell easily?
    There are of course some cards that would be pretty big give-aways as to what hero you're up against, but you could easily either a) not play those until you're ready to reveal it, or b) build a deck in a way that it wouldn't be so obvious.
    It's not pointless if someone finds enjoyment out of it. I'll try it out in some physical games and see how it goes.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynikus View Post
    You would be able to tell to some extent, but if your opponent has 28 health for example, that leaves 8 possible heroes that you could be up against.

Really? So if I was playing up against you in meltdown, and I just played a puwen, followed by what big teeth, and then chimera, you would be able to tell what hero I was playing?
    Or say in a normal format, I played ironhide karash then Infernal Gargoyle, or puwen followed by Aldon, you could tell easily?
    There are of course some cards that would be pretty big give-aways as to what hero you're up against, but you could easily either a) not play those until you're ready to reveal it, or b) build a deck in a way that it wouldn't be so obvious.
    It's not pointless if someone finds enjoyment out of it. I'll try it out in some physical games and see how it goes.
    I'd probably have a reasonable idea based on your heroes health. But i guess in meltdown it would be harder. Either way on about turn 3-4, the hero is revealed and i really don't think it's worth bothering in the first place.