Close

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by XanteseZerylliom View Post
    This. Your work lacks credibility because it's based on your own opinions. You should look at professionals who have been publishing for a while in your subject matter. The more citations they have, the better because you know they have done their work. If you cannot find published material on Shafow Era specifically, you might look for articles on deck construction in Magic or other card games.

Once you've done that, you should really consider changing the informal tone you've set in this piece. Remember that you're writing for an academic audience, not your friends.

Oh, wait. I'm not grading my students' papers? Well, in that case, you're probably fine.

(P.S.: Airact just wants a more detailed account of why you are saying what you're saying. Beginners looking at this guide don't necessarily have the knowledge necessary to understand the ideas you present and may think it's just some guide that doesn't need to be followed, or even somewhat followed.)
    You guys know I do include a brief explanation for each components right?
    Even though it's brief, it's correct.
    Psalms 19:1 - The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky above proclaims his handiwork.

A reason to fight. A purpose to defend. A brotherhood to cherish.
    The Warriors of the Blue Phoenix await you right here.

:: My guide to basic deck-building ::

Conquestadore
    :: Warden of the Phoenix Causeway ::
    :: Warrior of the Blue Phoenix ::
    :: Greatness Reborn ::

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Not saying it's not correct, and I wasn't even the one who said you should add to it, but I think Airact is looking in particular at the Review sections. Why don't we want, say, 24 weenie allies? If 3cc allies are so important, why don't we just run those?

Remember, this is my interpretation of Airact's comment, not my own idea. I think it works well for the majority of players reading it.
    Proud member of Team Juggernauts | PFG member

IGN: TJ Xantese

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by XanteseZerylliom View Post
    Not saying it's not correct, and I wasn't even the one who said you should add to it, but I think Airact is looking in particular at the Review sections. Why don't we want, say, 24 weenie allies? If 3cc allies are so important, why don't we just run those?

Remember, this is my interpretation of Airact's comment, not my own idea. I think it works well for the majority of players reading it.
    Hmm. I'll try to put some thought into it when I wake up tomorrow.
    Psalms 19:1 - The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky above proclaims his handiwork.

Conquestadore

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I see I'm getting trolled pretty hard here. Doesn't matter.

The point is that I see numbers but I don't see where the numbers come from. Why 10-14 weenies, why 16-20 allies per deck, why 6-8 draw cards? What would happen if the numbers were different? Stuff like that.

I did mention that it might not be the intention of the thread and by that I mean that new players might just want a basic guideline instead of extremely detailed things. Then there might be players like me who want to understand the game better (I suck and I want to get better, basically), but this thread might not be for them.
    Last edited by Airact; 08-07-2013 at 09:59 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Airact View Post

The point is that I see numbers but I don't see where the numbers come from. Why 10-14 weenies, why 16-20 allies per deck, why 6-8 draw cards? What would happen if the numbers were different? Stuff like that.
    I see your trouble. I think the purpose of this deck is not to tell someone why 16-20 allies, 6-8 draw card but mostly what consists a deck. Obviously, numbers of certain types of cards vary based from personal experience, preference and type of deck. Mostly the article is to understand the basic of a deck and i would assume catered to beginners. The title is Step by step guide: anatomy of a standard deck.
    "Try and try until you die...or succeed...whichever comes first"

Jo3yb0i - Knight of Dark and Light
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Drawing Power - A Brief Analysis of Draw Cards

My PM | <(^.^)> | Helpful Links | <(^.^)> | IRC | <(^.^)> | IRC + Game | <(^.^)> | SE DeckBuilder

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by roustabout View Post
    It is also worth mentioning that 3cc cards combo particularly well with a typical resource count of 5-6 in the mid-game (double ally or ally + disable). Oftentimes being able to play two cards in one turn can be a turning point in a game's momentum. Similarly, 3cc combos well with a typical late game resource count of 8 (fatty plus 3cc ally).
    Good post and good thread. I think ressouce curve based on the cards cost is misleading and not very usefull. A spread between threats, counters and draw cards would be more accurate and give you the ressource point when you are more likely to play two cards in on turn. Cards with dual purpose like Seductress or Furrior Terror can be even more usefull.
    Evolving Through Change

"I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met Jasmine. We ate lobster, drank Piña Coladas. At sunset we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over and over and over?"

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by cycle View Post
    i'd actually welcome an extensive look at building decks based on resource curve. hard to find data for this.
    That's an idea!
    However, I'm having lots of school assignments to deal with here, but maybe some BP colleagues can put in some effort together.
    No guarantee though, everybody has their business irl too.

Conquestadore

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I see I'm getting trolled pretty hard here.
    Well, since I'm an English teacher, I just picked up from Jo3yb0i's post. Notice I did actually explain what I thought you might be saying after my lengthy post.
    Proud member of Team Juggernauts | PFG member

IGN: TJ Xantese

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Xander Spitfire View Post
    Good post and good thread. I think ressouce curve based on the cards cost is misleading and not very usefull. A spread between threats, counters and draw cards would be more accurate and give you the ressource point when you are more likely to play two cards in on turn. Cards with dual purpose like Seductress or Furrior Terror can be even more usefull.
    Resource curves based on card cost is the most basic of resource curve knowledge to learn of.
    Look at Banebow, for example. His key cards are WotF, SS, FT, there'll also be SKs and LLN, etc. That makes almost 1/3 of a Banebow deck consisting of 5cc. So the resource curves for different decks certainly varies. Resource curves are looked at to ensure a balance throughout game. As for selection of cards such as dual purpose cards etc, that is not the main point of this article. Those can be based on preferences. Say, some people like to play 4 Puwen in an Amber. Some people like to play 2 Puwen 2 CoI. Some people like 4 Rasmina.

But I don't see where the numbers come from. Why 10-14 weenies, why 16-20 allies per deck, why 6-8 draw cards? What would happen if the numbers were different? Stuff like that.
    The numbers come from general knowledge and experience.
    For example, logical thinking says:
    More than 10-14 weenies and maybe you'll need to count on weenies to survive through mid-game and possibly late-game while your opponent can throw down things that are more pressuring on the board.
    Less than 6-8 draw cards, and maybe you wont get enough draw throughout the game. More than that, maybe you'd be drawing too many draw cards instead of cards you can use instead.
    16-20 allies because less than that and you might not have enough damage to get the opponent's HP to 0, which is what you need to win a game. More than that, and maybe you'd keep drawing allies that can't do any good when you opponent is already on the upper hand. Of course, ally number varies on deck archetype though.

What I'm saying is that, even though it's good stuff to let people know, it'll make this article lengthy.
    The importance of each component is briefly stated in this article, and everything suggested is based on general consensus, say, when someone wants to create their own standard Boris deck, or standard Zhanna deck.

Conquestadore

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    IGN: Kyltz