Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Tribes in Focus (1): Templar

For the last week in this little lorepalooza, I wanted to give you guys one more surprise.

On many of the allies in Call of the Crystals you might have noticed that they carry a small section of text after their type, such as 'Undead' or 'Wulven'. In Dark Prophecies, we added several more of these to the game. These represent the different Tribes of Shadow Era- groups of individuals who come from similar places, whether it is a country, faith, or even a simple mindset. Over time, more about these groups will be revealed, but for today I thought we'd get started with one of my personal favorites.

Tribes in Focus: Templar

When the Last War began, the countries of Ellos and Vozit found themselves in the middle of a brutal war all their own. Their faiths in the Twin Gods had brought them to this point many times before, but never with such a threat looming across the ocean. Arthyle's armies would likely conquer the Gaderi before the winter, and then be upon them with the full might of Layar. Their only hope seemed to be setting aside their differences for a common good, but the hatred ran too deep.

Arthyle's death from the dagger of an assassin, unbeknownst to most to be the Hand to the King of Vozit, saved their countries from mutual annihilation. This left them a cause for celebration, and a moment of respite. A moment that many among their nations seized to form a quiet pact. This pact became a written document known as the 'Writ of Brotherhood', and the group expanded until they gained enough money and clout to buy a large island off the coast of both nations.

Here, on what they called the Brother's Isle, their church was formed. Looking to the ancient texts and translations that had formed the churches of Ellos and Vozit, they found obscure text that referred to them both as one entity: Unaxio. This became the name of their church as well, a group determined to unite the estranged brothers back into one force for the betterment of Balor.

As the centuries passed, the peace between the nations they guarded became tenuous from time to time. Paladins, peacekeepers, and guardians became trained in order to protect that precious peace. A task they never failed in, not once in the thousand years between Arthyle's death and the opening of the Shadow Gates. Thus it was these same people who were turned to for protection against these invading forces.

When the Shadow War escalated beyond what their fighters alone could handle, the followers of Unaxio began to look for a new answer. It was their common faith that had united them in ages past, and perhaps it would be again. They began to search among their nations for a new breed of warrior to take up arms, one who did not share faith in Unaxio himself but faith in any deity. They sought soldiers capable of harnessing these ideals into a fighting power. For this, they created the Order of the Templar.

When the human armies joined with those under their protection, the church continued to bring in their kindred. Having followed Saymeht, the god of retribution and justice, since first being taught of the Seven, Gunther found himself joining with the followers of Unaxio, both in battle and in their new order. His leadership enabled them to bring more legitimacy to their ideals and a new enemy to the Shadow.

Alone, each Templar is a powerful combatant. Together, they will drive back the darkness of the Shadow with the blinding light of their faith.
    Last edited by NachyoChez; 07-17-2013 at 06:00 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Very nice. So the Templars are like the Jedi?
    Extra Tough Claws - Proud Member of ETC

Articles | Decklist | Fan Fiction

Shadow Era Art Thread | PB @ DeviantArt

PFG Member | I've been interviewed!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Preybird View Post
    Very nice. So the Templars are like the Jedi?
    Use the Force, Gunther!
    Congratulations to Preybird for designing my Avatar!

In Game Handle: Warr Byrd

Contributions to the Game:
    Flavor text for Wild Berserker: The odds are always in my favor
    PFG3: To Be Released Soon™

Tournament Wins: None, I'm Timmy Johnny not Spike!

Shout out to Gondorian, nerull7, Nikola D, plo, Preybird, Super Grover, and Zhou86 for submitting potential avatars!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Strange to associate Templars as a tribe.

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cozy Don View Post
    Strange to associate Templars as a tribe.
    Tribe is just the term we picked in SE to represent sub-types of allies. They aren't actually a tribe, you are right.

Its origins are in MTG jargon: http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/article/Tribal_(theme)

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    great read... both Templars in general and one of my favorite cards the Paladin explained.
    Good stuff

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Cool stuffs.
    "Give me an ally, and I will fight beside them.
    Give me a friend, and I will fight before them."

- IGN -
    The Spectre

Physical pre-order of: Call of the Crystals - Dark Prophecies

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Yeah, the Paladin is one of my favourites too. I like reading all of these.
    Proud Member of Alpha Predator
    Brotherhood. Honor. Glory.

I may set you on fire. It's not personal, I just like fire.

IGN: AP Flamebringer

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    What are you talking about? I think Paladin is no longer Templar since last version according to the card list!
    Buried Treasure of Nanana
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix/ Greatness, Reborn
    My tournament achievements

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    he isn't?
    oh well the story above is good anyway and I like how the Paladins are described?