Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Meltdown: A How To Guide

Meltdown is THE BEST way to earn gold and learn the cards. I've only been in game 2.5 months, and I've got 4x of each card, tons of gold, and I've learned every card in the game. Here are some things every player should know about meltdown:
    1. Only points matter. Win=30pts Loss=10pts Draw=0pts! I hate it when a player novas us both to death, or closes game instead of conceding. Don't be afraid to lose! A draw means that you both just gained nothing and lost your 200 gold entry. Losses are expected, so don't let pride keep you from gaining your points!
    2. Concede by clicking menu, challenge, yes. Do this ON YOUR TURN! Doing it on opponents turn will cause game to get stuck on sacrifice stage for 5-10 minutes. The server is screwy, we all know this, so have the courtesy to quit on your turn only.
    3. Needed points: 50th~800 35th~1700 20th~2000 3rd~4000. Top 50 gets you a random foil and about 50% gain in gold invested. I sold off my decks, got 18k gold, and spent it all. I received 35k gold in meltdown rewards. I used most of that the following week, placed 3rd, and won 58k gold(and a foil legendary). Break even point with average win rate is ~250-400pts. Goal yourself with at least 2 wins per day to be safe.
    GAMEPLAY:
    ***Meltdown is currently bugged. Copies of the same card are not brought into the match. This allows players to play with <30 cards and secure a win with a couple of good cards. If your cards aren't good, you can leave card selection, change booster pack split, and get new cards without losing your gold. These are both well known, not intended, and will hopefully be fixed soon***
    1. Heroes are important! Zaladar and BaneBow are powerful, but others are even better with the right cards. I.e. Gwen with 1 or 2 solid weapons and a retrieval of some kind can win a match. Amber with What Big Teeth is particularly nasty. With 30 cards, the chances of you drawing your "win card" are really high. Victor with a single poison arrow can secure the board easily. With no deck restrictions, card synergy is easier to find. Experiment!
    2. Allies win matches! If you've got at least 15 allies with solid draw and creature removal, your hero doesn't matter. Don't try to get fancy or tricky. Put down threats and remove threats.
    3. Picking your cards:
    *Sort by weapons. If weapons are weak, use a non-weapon hero. Direct damage heroes are best, then creature removal heroes next. What Big Teeth is a common card, so you will see it a lot. Combined with Logan, it means you will own the board. Ela and Maj are both good too.
    *Use all your allies. Unless you were lucky enough to get a ton of allies, use all of them. Each deck will only have about 5-6 removal cards, so it is a ally vs ally battle. Attachment lovers, here is your time to shine!
    *Creature removal, use them all! You MUST own the board. Auto-include any direct damage abilities here.
    *Draw: any permanent draw engine is an auto-include. ToK, antimatter, I'll gotten gains, wrath of the forest, etc. draw wins games here. Be very careful using blood frenzy, sac every turn, play multiple threats, and go for the throat. You will deck yourself very soon. Plan the win before then. Cantrips like mugged, here be monsters, etc are great! The have an effect and replace themselves. Use to dig to your win cards.
    *Heal: heal card/effect removal. Poison/flame abilities are game winners in MD, have a way to remove it. Healing touch is best because its useable on allies. Note:Infinity Core is one of the BEST cards in meltdown. It gains you time, and takes the expiration date off of your ally pool.
    *Item removal: 2. Have a way to kill your opponents draw or permanent wep/armor. Golden katar, blazing shield, punishers gauntlets, gravediggers cloak, etc. All of these are game changers. Draw item removal is self explanatory...
    *Cleanup time: start removing cards to get down to 30. Unless your whole deck is solid, you want to draw those win cards. Don't make it harder on yourself. If you run out of time, it will just start you over, so don't sweat it. By the end of your first week, you will know every card by the picture, so it will get faster.

With so much flexibility, Meltdown is a lot of fun. Gain gold, experience, and foils, all without losing any rating points. What's not to love? Feel free to reply or PM me with any questions!
    Last edited by Jeromy; 06-16-2013 at 04:50 PM.
    IGN: xSeanx, zChiefz

Meltdown FAQ
    http://www.shadowera.com/showthread....A-How-To-Guide
    Getting Started: Gold Farming/Deck Building
    http://www.shadowera.com/showthread....ding*&p=397749

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Combos, Tips & Tricks:
    Someone mentioned some tricks that are in the OP, so I'm posting some here as a sort of TL,DR:
    First off, most games are won, or lost, in the first 4 turns. A good rush is almost always an auto-win.
    This is not all inclusive list, that list only ends with your imagination. The combos are countless!

Elementalis+short on time (you'll either steamroll opponent or lose the board rather quickly)
    BB or Zaladar + anything (direct damage is king unless opponent has better card synergy)
    Moonstalker+Mocking Armor (Mocking Armor alone can bring a win mid to late game)
    Infinity Core: broken in MD. With only 1 or 2 good allies per deck, bring them back and heal!
    Resurrection/Arthyle's Crypt: see above, minus healing
    Scrying Eye+Transference
    Amber+WBT (with speed strike or Rapid Fire, GG)
    Vozitian Orders+on summon or sac ability ally. I.e. Tribe Herald
    Kelvin's Charm+Fan of Blades or What Big Teeth (with speed strike or Rapid Fire, GG)
    Voltar's Ring+Zaladar
    Super Focus+Stalwart Bodyguard
    Into the forest+Mocking Armor
    Valiant defender...nuff said. Ridiculously strong in MD.
    Warrior Training+Stealth Ally
    Gravebone+tainted oracle or crystal Titan
    Sac Lamb+Earthen Protector
    Xar modulator+silent strike or surprise attack. Add Arthyle's Crypt and it's GG.
    Rampage+Board Wipes
    Zaladar/BB +shadow armor/thick hide
    Last edited by Jeromy; 06-22-2013 at 06:07 PM.

Meltdown FAQ

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Good write up. I know you are a very good MD player! Some of the info here are very useful.

Though, I never liked the nature of MD. Whatever you write for MD, it is regarded as an advertisement, just like ads on stock market or FX trade. More players means easier chance of win for expert player. Any article about praising MD inevitably leads to exploitation of newer players.

So, even though you might later be blamed on "advertising" MD, GJ for breaking the silence and putting up useful information!
    IGN: Kyltz

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Kylt View Post
    Good write up. I know you are a very good MD player! Some of the info here are very useful.

Though, I never liked the nature of MD. Whatever you write for MD, it is regarded as an advertisement, just like ads on stock market or FX trade. More players means easier chance of win for expert player. Any article about praising MD inevitably leads to exploitation of newer players.

So, even though you might later be blamed on "advertising" MD, GJ for breaking the silence and putting up useful information!
    Really? I've always liked MD. It will take a little work to be able to have the gold to do a solid run on it, but once you're there, it gives even the newest players the opportunity to make a very tidy sum.
    I don't need the gold now, I do it for the fun value
    Seeing some of the incredible decks that you've built, (thank you for the great info, by the way) I'm sure you'd be a very solid MD player.

Meltdown FAQ

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Meltdown isn't really about skill... It's about who has the most money... as you mentioned a loss gives you 10 points... If all you need is 800 points to be in top 50... Seems easy to lose 80 games if you are rich.
    SHADOW ERA, ETC
    Enjoy Trading Card-games

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Helio View Post
    Meltdown isn't really about skill... It's about who has the most money... as you mentioned a loss gives you 10 points... If all you need is 800 points to be in top 50... Seems easy to lose 80 games if you are rich.
    have to lose 160 games to reach top 50, made that foil worth 32,000 gold...
    Buried Treasure of Nanana
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix/ Greatness, Reborn
    My tournament achievements

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Index View Post
    have to lose 160 games to reach top 50, made that foil worth 32,000 gold...
    Worth it! ;-)

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Very good article, Jeromy. Pretty useful stuff.
    Leader of Rising Sun
    Learn, Improve, Succeed

Relevant RS Links:
    About Us|Trophy Room
    Card Gallery|How to Apply

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    ***Meltdown is currently bugged. Copies of the same card are not brought into the match. This allows players to play with <30 cards and secure a win with a couple of good cards. If your cards aren't good, you can leave card selection, change booster pack split, and get new cards without losing your gold. These are both well known, not intended, and will hopefully be fixed soon***
    Q.Q
    Buried Treasure of Nanana
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix/ Greatness, Reborn
    My tournament achievements

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Helio View Post
    That's not really true since you spend 200 for each game. Sure, you can make a profit even if you lose all the time with sufficient games but a higher winning percentage will increase your profit hugely or decrease the number of games you need to play. In fact, I think the main consideration is time since not everyone can play the large amount of games required each week to hit top 50.

And although I agree Meltdown is not very skill intensive, it's more just luck that determines who wins among players with decent competency. But still, the fact that some players consistently hit w/r of 65% and above might mean it's not completely up the the flip of the coin.