Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Exclamation Tips for Serena Thoughtripper

I recently started playing shadow era: dark prophecies; and for my 1st hero I selected Serena Thoughtripper, because I thought that she was op compared to other heroes. Is she really op? Is she a good choice for a beginner?
    Also, any tips on playing with and against her, her deck?

Please excuse any grammatical errors; English isn't my first language.
    Last edited by ZuKaD; 06-02-2013 at 10:38 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Welcome to the forums!

Where'd you get the impression that Serena is OP? It better not be a certain thread...
    Leader of Rising Sun
    Learn, Improve, Succeed

Relevant RS Links:
    About Us|Trophy Room
    Card Gallery|How to Apply

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
    Welcome to the forums!

Where'd you get the impression that Serena is OP? It better not be a certain thread...
    My friend told me she was op; though I wouldn't be surprised if everything he told me about Serena was bulls**t. That's why I made this thread.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Well, a decently competitive Serena Deck is expensive because she is a weapon-based hero, and weapons are very expensive. A typical Serena deck now will be using Anklebreaker x 4 and Fan of Blades x 3.

By the way, welcome to the forums!
    If you have any other questions, do drop by this link: http://www.shadowera.com/showthread....ayers-amp-FAQs
    Psalm 91:7 A thousand may fall at your side, ten thousand at your right hand, but it will not come near you.

Zhou - Servant of the Eternal Saviour
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn.

IGN | BP Zhou | Information on my Guild | Group | SE Players of Malaysia | Tournaments | BP Popup #37

BP Hispanic | Link a la rama hispana de BP
    SE Achievements | Full List
    Articles/Guides | FAQs for New Players and Forum Goers

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Should I just keep rolling with Serena, or should I try to get another hero?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Serena was also my first hero, and I actually had the same reasoning - I remembered that hand destruction cards in Yu-Gi-Oh were extremely powerful and I think got banned at some point, so I figured it would be similar in Shadow Era. However, this is not the case. She is a good hero, one of the most fun to play, and with the release of Dark Prophecies got even more competitive. However, she is by no means OP. I'd say she's not one of the easier heroes for beginners, but don't be deterred

If you want to build a Serena deck, you will need some staples: 4 Anklebreaker, 4 Stop, Thief! and 4 Ill-Gotten Gains. The expansion also gave her a great new weapon, Fan of Blades, that is a great way to regain board control. Other cards to consider are Lily, who helps to make sure you always have a weapon available, and Black Garb, which combos very nicely with Fan of Blades (attack an ally, the ally retaliates into the Black Garb and dies). Always try to keep board control - Anklebreaker helps a lot with that - and when you get the chance, go for the discard. After some practice you will know when it is best to go for the board and when to go for the hero. Keep in mind that you don't have to use your ability when attacking allies, Anklebreaker will disable them anyway.

Take a look at Raph's $20 guide for a nice and pretty cheap Serena deck: http://www.shadowera.com/showthread....ophecies-quot-! Well, Anklebreaker and Fan of Blades aren't cheap, but you can't do without them :P

Hope that helps
    Last edited by Kratylus; 06-03-2013 at 12:29 AM.
    Kratylus - Honored Bearer of Aegis
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    One last (probably the stupidest) question; is it faster to gain the money (whatever it's called) in the "world" or in the "challenge"?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    If you search the forums for an AI grind deck, you will be winning every match (which you can't say for pvp) and in less time. If you don't look for a grind deck or just don't feel like changing heroes to do so, you will probably still win all your matches and probably in less time. To grind gold, world. For actual fun, challenge.
    Congratulations to Preybird for designing my Avatar!

In Game Handle: Warr Byrd

Contributions to the Game:
    Flavor text for Wild Berserker: The odds are always in my favor
    PFG3: To Be Released Soon™

Tournament Wins: None, I'm Timmy Johnny not Spike!

Shout out to Gondorian, nerull7, Nikola D, plo, Preybird, Super Grover, and Zhou86 for submitting potential avatars!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    If you can win quick matches (challenge, but not meltdown), it's going to be quicker... though early on, when your card pool is weaker, you'll want to do some 'gold farming' (I have a shadow hero 'gold farming' video I'll be releasing this coming Saturday - though there are quite a few deck lists and guides for the same thing here on the forums).