Close

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Hex (mmo tcg)

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzer View Post
    Keith, if you are bored try scrolls fpr $20, is really fun and for me was a "refreshing" for ccg's.
    I just cant get past its ugly animation and graphic.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by huynguyenquang View Post
    I just cant get past its ugly animation and graphic.
    At least it's not blocks.

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    So I finally got Closed Beta access to Hex today. Seems like forever ago that I sunk $120 into it.

I have no clue how to play or make a deck (I say that, but I also hear it's just like MTG), so I've just opened a few packs. That's quite the experience. Certainly a lot of flair to it, and all the bells and whistles add to the thrill of the gamble ... not that I know what's a good card or not!

Looking forward to seeing where this one goes, although I think they already won with over 2 million dollars of backing.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I'm in. Have been fiddling with it since Alpha and have now received my rewards as KS backer. My name over there is "Mournwood".

Some quick start info:
    * Any starter decks you buy do not need opening, they appear in your deck list
    * From the starter decks, Shin'hare is considered the weakest. The rest are quite nice
    * Tournaments, starters and boosters are all paid with Platinum (equiv of Crystals -> RL money equiv)
    * The VIP subscription gets you 1 weekly booster and access to VIP tournament and it's good value. If you only take it for the boosters, that's 4 boosters each month at €0.75 instead if €1.40 apiece
    * Tournaments come in constructed, sealed and draft. Sealed and draft cost 100 Platinum (or an entry ticket from your rewards / VIP) and 3 or 4 booster packs.

Some extra info:
    * Tournaments broke on the go-live to closed Beta, but they have now been fixed again. People bum-rushed the servers
    * Each booster pack gives you a treasure chest. These cannot be opened yet, so save them in your stash.
    * PVE is not yet part of the game. They hope to have that ready in time for open Beta.
    * Currently Gold (the other in-game currency) can only be earned in tournaments. Gold is needed to "upgrade" the treasure chests you get, but it's optional. Once PVE goes live you get gold as rewards there.

Two great podcasts about Hex:
    * http://hextcgpro.com -> 2 Turns ahead
    * http://www.thresholdpodcast.com

Both update weekly I believe.

Oh and: I suck horribly at this game. Maybe just as much as at Shadow Era
    Last edited by Makizushi; 04-26-2014 at 11:03 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I'm considering getting back into covering Hex now that it's in beta... the few times I tried recording in the alpha, all ended up getting stuck due to bugs.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Yesterday they went live with the Auction House and with large-scale tournaments. 8-player tournaments have been working well for months now.

I'm still pretty darn excited

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    A month gone and here are some fun updates with regards to HEX:

Tomorrow they're having a HUGE constructed deck tournament, for free, as way to stress test their servers. Rewards for everyone. Four rounds, swiss style in a pool of 128+ players.

They've been running constructed tourneys capped at 128 players for a short while. These are the undefeated decks so far.

Statistics for the Auction House have been published: aside from in-game gold, roughly 290.000 platinum (shadow crystals) were spent buying cards. That's the equivalent of 2900 USD.

The whole WotC/Hasbro -vs- HEX Entertainment lawsuit is on-going.

So far we've had over 10.000 paid tournaments, which boils down to 80.000 times (100 plat + 3 boosters = 700 plat total) = 56.000.000 plat, which is the equivalent of 560.000 USD. Mind you, many boosters are coming from the Kickstarter reward tiers and at least a small part of the entrance fees are also from KS rewards (tokens).
    Last edited by Makizushi; 07-25-2014 at 09:59 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I did a quick comparison of tourney costs between ShadowEra, HEX and MtG:O in another thread. Thought I'd post it here as well.

GAME DRAFT BOOSTER DOLLAR VALUE CONSTRUCTED DOLLAR VALUE
    Shadow Era 700 SC (boosters incl) 100 SC $7.00 100 SC $1.00
    HEX 100 platinum + 3 boosters 200 platinum $7.00 500 platinum $5.00
    MtG:O 2 tickets + 3 boosters $4 $14.00 6 tickets $12.00

100 SC = 100 platinum = $1.00. I'm told MtG:O tickets go for roughly $2.00.

One big difference between draft is that HEX and MTG give you 45 cards to keep, while Shadow Era gives you 90 cards (6 boosters) to keep. The dollar value stays the same, but your card collection will grow double as fast with Shadow Era drafts.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Makizushi View Post
    I did a quick comparison of tourney costs between ShadowEra, HEX and MtG:O in another thread. Thought I'd post it here as well.

GAME DRAFT BOOSTER DOLLAR VALUE CONSTRUCTED DOLLAR VALUE
    Shadow Era 700 SC (boosters incl) 100 SC $7.00 100 SC $1.00
    HEX 100 platinum + 3 boosters 200 platinum $7.00 500 platinum $5.00
    MtG:O 2 tickets + 3 boosters $4 $14.00 6 tickets $12.00

100 SC = 100 platinum = $1.00. I'm told MtG:O tickets go for roughly $2.00.

One big difference between draft is that HEX and MTG give you 45 cards to keep, while Shadow Era gives you 90 cards (6 boosters) to keep. The dollar value stays the same, but your card collection will grow double as fast with Shadow Era drafts.
    I will probably never participate in Shadow Era draft cause i have a full set already and the extra cards will not be worth anything to me.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Well, there's always the fun of participating in a tournament That's gotta be worth something?

In my case, I'm not very good at HEX but I do enjoy the three to four hours of entertainment that a Swiss draft offers me. And sometimes it gets exciting and I actually manage to break 2-2. Any surplus cards can be sold on the Auction House, or retained to gift to my guild once that becomes possible.

In your case there's the possibility of prestige, by winning lots of Shadow Era tourneys.