Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Stiff competition: Hex

Well, this certainly looks like it's a big undertaking with strong backers: online MMORPG/TCG "Hex".

It's not a true competitor to Shadow Era, as it's a hugely customizable TCG in an MMORPG setting versus a straight-forward TCG. But it certainly looks like they're trying to do big things. I'm interested

EDIT:
    Looking through the various premium levels I have to wonder whether this game runs the risk of being "Pay to Win". I mean, take a gander at the levels "Raid leader", "Dungeon Crawler" and "Guild master". These include bonuses that will affect your overall chance of winning, for the full duration of your account's existence.
    Last edited by Makizushi; 05-11-2013 at 07:18 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    The producer defiantly seems OP and doesn't have any limitations, I can't wait to see how broken this game gets.
    Quote Originally Posted by supatroopa45 View Post
    Not straightforward? Well I am a very backward person.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I really have no opinion on this matter but for some simple understanding of feelings I'll leave this here.
    Quote Originally Posted by FarqTheOrc View Post
    Well if you live in the middle of England then no other part of the country is more than 3 hours away!

Contrast this with Australia... sometimes I forget to close the front gate and it takes me 2 weeks to walk back out to close it...
    My "theme song" because Gondorian said to do this.
    Pssst, hey you. Yeah you, Brony! Come join this group. I'm all alone!
    My awfully lazy Youtube channel.
    I have Autism.
    Some call it a blessing, others call it a curse.
    Me?
    I call it research!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Yep, that's how I learned about the game: through Penny Arcade.

And yes... I fear things might not be altogether too balanced.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    It's only for PC and Mac though, while a lot of new TCGs automatically at least have an iPad version. It looks cool but I hate the idea of upgrading and leveling up cards, why do they have to be cards then? Because you can't afford to make 3d models of characters or something so you need to put it on a 2d card with a static image?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    It's only for PC and Mac though, while a lot of new TCGs automatically at least have an iPad version. It looks cool but I hate the idea of upgrading and leveling up cards, why do they have to be cards then? Because you can't afford to make 3d models of characters or something so you need to put it on a 2d card with a static image?
    IIRC from the video, their company makes board games etc of "popular" or "trending" subjects.
    Or something...
    I swear to god I saw a TBBT board game in the list.
    If any company makes something like that, all they must make is quick cash-grabs.
    HOW DOES A BIG BANG THEORY GAME EVEN WORK?!
    Quote Originally Posted by FarqTheOrc View Post
    Well if you live in the middle of England then no other part of the country is more than 3 hours away!

Contrast this with Australia... sometimes I forget to close the front gate and it takes me 2 weeks to walk back out to close it...
    My "theme song" because Gondorian said to do this.
    Pssst, hey you. Yeah you, Brony! Come join this group. I'm all alone!
    My awfully lazy Youtube channel.
    I have Autism.
    Some call it a blessing, others call it a curse.
    Me?
    I call it research!

DP Visionary
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    This looks awesome, I am backing the $85.00 one and will likely do more. Finally a kickstarter for a tcg done right.
    A1 MZAAZM

jayj6988 (11:35:35 PM): I want you to know that if you are accepted onto Legion, you must be prepared to be unpopular or even disliked by association
    jayj6988 (11:35:56 PM): not being egotisticl or henchmen of the egotistical bunch, we tend to not be received well
    jayj6988 (11:36:26 PM): there are exceptions though
    jayj6988 (11:36:33 PM): everyone still loves MZAAZM
    jayj6988 (11:37:05 PM): its moreso Spectre and I that are begrudged
    UBTeachings (8:35:44 PM): hm

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Speaking of other TCGs and such, how's that other "bunch of big names" game coming along? I wrote about Sol Forge on these forums a few months ago, when it was still being made. Looks like it's out now.

Like Hex this also has some big names helping out, like Richard Garfield of MtG fame. And like Hex this also has evolving cards and some other trickery. Anybody have experiences with Sol Forge?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Sol forge is kind of lame. If you wiff on getting your lv2's and your opponent happens to get two on his first turn he can, its a ridiculous uphill battle from there. No resources mean card trading is always in favor of the aggressor (aka "destroy a creature of equal or less level as this card" don't give you an edge) and the gameplay is still really shallow.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Shame to hear that. Let's hope Hex fares better.

Speaking of Hex and it's over-the-top OP and so on... How about this card?

Effect: that's right, you turn into a motherfscking dragon

And with regards to my fear of "pay to win" and unbalancing the game with presents for the Kickstarter guys, here's what they say about their Lotus Garden premium:

Once our Kickstarter campaign ends, there will never, ever, EVER be another way to get a Spectral Lotus. Period. Except, of course, for the Auction House. Wouldn’t it be nice to be the guy who decided to buy in and is now generating passive income until the end of time—incidentally giving you ridiculous bragging rights over all of your friends who didn’t kickstart for a Lotus Garden? There’s always going to be demand for these, because there are very few Lotus Gardens.
    So yeah... Help their Kickstarter and you'll be given a money-making machine in game.

Then again, I keep forgetting that this is not simply a one-on-one PVP game. It's meant to be a cooperative, MMORPG with multiple players raiding dungeons in teams. It's just that combat takes place as a CCG. When it -does- come to PVP, most of the fat bonuses and OP is kept at bay apparently.

And this is of course pretty ambitious and cool:
    HEX will feature tournaments and events around the clock available worldwide.
    And finally: Gameplay video.

Reminds me a lot of Magic 2013 on the iPad... But with their own weird extra gameplay thrown in Not too bad.
    Last edited by Makizushi; 05-13-2013 at 07:38 PM.