Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

A Legend Falls: Balance Tweak Suggestion

I would like to suggest that the design team think about changing this card slightly. Right now, A Legend Rises is seeing some use, and is a pretty decent card. This card, on the other hand, I have never seen played. I'm sure you at Wulven can check the stats on the usage of this card and will see that it barely gets used.

The problem, I think, is that there are other ways to counter attachments that are more versatile than this card. Sever ties and sabre are the same cost, but they don't have the condition (at least 3 attack), and they can be used on hero attachments too. The only real upside to this card is that it strips multiple attachments--but it rarely happens that you need that. I imagine that when the set was being designed it was assumed that people would be creating multi-attachment monsters (wisp anyone?), but as it turns out that just isn't too viable. The 3 health loss could conditionally be helpful, but often it won't really matter. The card just isn't quite worth playing regularly right now.

Here is what I would like to see. I would like to see the card read, "Target opposing ally with 3 or more attack loses all beneficial attachments and has its health reduced by 3. Any attachments removed in this way do not grant any benefits upon destruction."

The "beneficial" proviso should have been there already, I think. Otherwise, often a normal sever ties is going to be better to an ally who has a negative attachment plus, say, A Legend Rises.

The second suggested change would give A Legend Rises a unique function in terms of the present sets of cards. Right now there is no way to counter Treasured Heirloom so that it doesn't give cards. This would actually make A Legend Falls a bit more useful. This may be a strong benefit against humans, but it doesn't seem too strong given that the card already has conditions that make it different from severed ties.

Alternatively, if the card stays exactly as it, it should be changed to 3cc. Otherwise it's never going to be used.

[Also apologies to the DT for starting another thread like this. I guess I like thinking about these kinds of issues even if its too late to expect any changes.]
    Last edited by roustabout; 05-09-2013 at 05:35 AM.
    A1 roustabout ~ A1's Slinking Ne'er-do-well
    A1: Evolution in Theory | www.a1-alliance.org
    I will show you fear in a handful of dust

Proleptic member of PFG3

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    There are too many ways to take care an ally......I guess that's why no one would use it.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I can't imagine any deck using this card as it is now, nor with the changes you propose. It's a terrible card.

4cc and called "A Legend Falls" should crush the ally its cast upon. Like an unconditional 'target ally loses 3/4 attack and 3/4 health' or something like that.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Up it to 4 damage and it'll get a LOT more use as a versatile ally killer.

Attachment based ally control isn't quite as useful now with A Legend Rises running around.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I have a foil a legend falls for sale! Anyone interested?
    +1 to king rao. It is too gimmicky and unreliable.
    IGN: BP Darkenheart

The Vengeful Ghost of Dark Helm's Past
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by darkenheart View Post
    I have a foil a legend falls for sale! Anyone interested?
    +1 to king rao. It is too gimmicky and unreliable.
    While we're at it, I'm offering a foil Word of the Prophet and 3 foil Staffs of Disintegration...
    A1 roustabout ~ A1's Slinking Ne'er-do-well
    A1: Evolution in Theory | www.a1-alliance.org
    I will show you fear in a handful of dust

Proleptic member of PFG3

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I have suggested the following in another thread.

5cc: target opposing ally that has at least one attachment is killed.

So that ALF hard-counters ALR and can be used as a general ally attachment counter.

An example exchange in a game will be something like Jasmine -> CP -> ALR -> ALF.
    Last edited by MacLeod; 05-09-2013 at 08:19 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by roustabout View Post
    The second suggested change would give A Legend Rises a unique function in terms of the present sets of cards. Right now there is no way to counter Treasured Heirloom so that it doesn't give cards. This would actually make A Legend Falls a bit more useful. This may be a strong benefit against humans, but it doesn't seem too strong given that the card already has conditions that make it different from severed ties.
    [Also apologies to the DT for starting another thread like this. I guess I like thinking about these kinds of issues even if its too late to expect any changes.]
    Both Mystic of the vale and Disrupt Aura return attachments to the players hand. I know mystic is human faction, but is Disrupt neutral. I can't recall.
    IGN: E2E BallyWorld
    Common Hero: Victor, Serena, and Gwyn

Resident Sapper and Proud Member of E2E: Enlisted to Endure.

"For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found." Luke 15:24
    "This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus." Romans 3:22-24

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by roustabout View Post
    While we're at it, I'm offering a foil Word of the Prophet and 3 foil Staffs of Disintegration...
    4x Scythe of Faith foil for... Nah, who am I kidding: nobody will want them.
    (In case you're wondering if I truly have 4x that thing: yes, I really got THAT lucky)

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    For A Legend Falls, how about this:

Target ally loses all special text and has it's health reduced by 3.

That's a legend killer, but still focussed enough not to see constant play. The fact that it's three health lost stops it from being a faction wide Fireball, but the loss of special text makes it a supercharged Morbid Acolyte effect.
    Extra Tough Claws - Proud Member of ETC

Articles | Decklist | Fan Fiction

Shadow Era Art Thread | PB @ DeviantArt

PFG Member | I've been interviewed!