Close

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Zaladar – Crystal Miner 3.0

Hi all,

Here’s my Zaladar deck that got my ETC Preybird account over 300. It’s a reiteration of an old classic, with a few changes and some new tricks.

Zaladar

2 x Brutalis
    3 x Ironhide Karash
    4 x Infernal Gargoyle
    2 x Morbid Acolyte
    3 x Death Mage Thaddeus
    3 x Darkwood Wraith

4 x Mind Control
    4 x Shadow Font

2 x Shriek of Vengeance
    2 x Ley Line Nexus

4 x Bad Santa
    2 x Antimatter

3 x Shadowvein
    2 x Morphic Armor

40 cards + hero

Interesting ally split….

It is, and it works. For 2cc, everyone knows the value of Karash, but sometimes his low health just doesn’t cut it (Mages, Banebow, Amber), so Brutalis is in there to provide a cheap effective tank should I need it. Besides, he’s still got his use in conjunction with Zaladar’s ability, though he sometimes needs some help in DMT to take down those 5 health allies (but that’s nothing really new).

In regards to the 3cc, Gargoyle is still a 4 x auto-include in my books, even though Morbid’s ability is just so damn good. This means that Morbid is at 2, and you just can’t throw them at the enemy. You need to time them to make sure they’ll survive to do their job, cutting through stealth and protector, preventing TO draw, etc. Morbid will win you the game against Moonstalker in particular, so be sure to keep him in your hand. There’s only 3 DMT because that 1 damage isn’t as effective as it used to be, and I’d rather the space for another 2 attack ally.

For the sole 5cc in the deck I’ve put Wraith. The reason being is that he controls one of Zal’s great nemeses, Gargoyle. He’s also great at preventing people from dropping hordes, and forces your opponent to come at you in a more piecemeal manner. The other thing is that he allows you to bounce your own crippled and disabled allies. Wraith is worth his salt and then some in this deck, and while he’s not the most aggressive ally out there, he can hold the board down and let your other damage sources do their job. You could use Furrion Terror here, but I find the Wraith just has so much utility I can’t go past it. (It also ruins Elementalis singlehandedly.)

Antimatter?

Yeah my earlier versions didn’t use it, but I can’t look past a permanent engine at the moment, particularly as I don’t have as much incidental draw in CM3 (no Ripper). However it’s still a massive tempo loss and that discard hurts, so it’s a secondary draw. I may only trigger it a couple of times a game, mostly relying on Bad Santa for my draw instead. Sacrifical Lamb also isn’t as useful here because I can reactivate my crippled allies with either Wraith or Morphic Armor.

Morphic Armor?

This card is incredible. It wins you games with Zaladar, simply because it messes with his bad matchups (bar Banebow) so much. Steal Blood Frenzy, Enrage, Rampage, Lone Wolf, Speedstrike, Rapid Fire, bounce crippling attachments, and generally wreak havoc. Its high SE cost is completely offset by the tempo gain. Sometimes I’ll intentionally leave crippled allies lying around as a ‘bank’ of sorts It does hurt your ability use a bit, but that’s where the next card comes in….

Shadowvein

The Ripper replacement. This thing is great in some matchups, less awesome in others (DO NOT USE AGAINST ZHANNA OR GWEN). Allows you to gain SE at a phenomenal rate and will win you games, despite accelerating your opponent in a similar manner. The best counter to your opponent’s gain is to simply not give their ability any targets (no allies in many cases). With Shadowvein and a couple of Mind Controls you can usually go solo and get the win anyway.

Conclusion

Well, that’s my Zaladar. It’s a nice straight forward evolution of Crystal Miner and it hits hard and fast, and gains you plenty of SE. Which is good, because you burn through it! So it lives up to its name a lot more than previous versions.
    Last edited by Preybird; 05-08-2013 at 09:32 PM.
    Extra Tough Claws - Proud Member of ETC

Articles | Decklist | Fan Fiction

Shadow Era Art Thread | PB @ DeviantArt

PFG Member | I've been interviewed!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    May I know your reason why you did not include Furrion Terror and preferred Darkwood Wraith?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Chitomaru View Post
    May I know your reason why you did not include Furrion Terror and preferred Darkwood Wraith?
    I prefer Darkwood's utility. He can do a lot more than Furrion can, and he is more survivable too.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Lovely deck, I will replace my Zaladar deck with this one however I am also one for Furion Terror so would swap out the Wraiths. I just have so many games where I wish I had one to drop.

Instead of Furions you could also use Lo Void Leviathan or Crystal Titan as they cost 5 and both work with Shadow Energy which is what this deck is about.
    Last edited by TotallyImba; 05-08-2013 at 07:17 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I think that DW >>>>> FT in some match ups like vs other Zal, and some bad match ups like vs Banebow. Saves you those MC for juicy stuff and it buys you time to store your SE for end game.
    Retired Card Game Designer

“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments.
    The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thanks for your work Prey, i read your differents threads you did on the forum and specially your 3 differents decks on Zaladar and i wonder which one i should use between the 1.5, 2.5 and 3.0 version because it been a long time i didn't play Shadow Era and i'm back in the game

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    This one seems like it'll allow Darkclaw an easier anal rape of my Zal. Why no WoTF/Dome?
    Also, I never did think of Wraith, thanks for that perspective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikola D View Post
    Nothing escapes The Eye of Sauron... I mean the Eye of Demnchi.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    just thought about Twisted Familiar instead of Brutalis.
    TF can die to IK + DMT but it deals 1 damage leaving dmt's health 3.
    Also TF can still work even nullified by AB.

I guess Brut or TF depends on whether you see Puwen+Aldon often, and maybe Baduruu. Just a side note for myself.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikola D View Post
    I think that DW >>>>> FT in some match ups like vs other Zal, and some bad match ups like vs Banebow. Saves you those MC for juicy stuff and it buys you time to store your SE for end game.
    Exactly. Furrion Terror is great, but if your ability isn't ready to combo with he's a dead drop. Really. If my opponent has two 3cc allies out to my none, Furrion will die no two ways about it (and won't kill squat). Darkwood levels the playing field instantly. And in my experience, if you need Furrion because your opponent has >2 allies on the field you're generally dead anyway at that point.

Darkwood Wraith is a massive tempo swing, and this deck is all about tempo. There's no huge Omega Strike in the deck and no heal so it's all about constant steady beats.
    Last edited by Preybird; 05-08-2013 at 09:33 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitzcairn View Post
    Thanks for your work Prey, i read your differents threads you did on the forum and specially your 3 differents decks on Zaladar and i wonder which one i should use between the 1.5, 2.5 and 3.0 version because it been a long time i didn't play Shadow Era and i'm back in the game
    Use this one or if you can't get all the cards, 2.0 is still good.

It's really an evolution of the same deck principle to keep up with the release of DP and the new meta.