Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Characters in Profile (8): Howlfang, Terror of the Vale

About the Card:
    Two allies for the cost of one? Mini built-in Aldon? Solid presence to boot? Sign me up! Howlfang is a great ally, with a possibly greater back story!
    Cost: 6
    Attack:5
    Health:5
    Faction: Shadow (Wulven)
    Ability: Other friendly Wulven allies have +1 attack on your turn. When Howlfang is summoned, you may summon a Wulven ally of 3 cost or lower for free.
    Flavor: "Some feared he'd come to claim the Swan herself."

Background:
    When the Shadow Gates began appearing around Layar, Tinnal was among the first worlds they connected to. Although Howlfang was not among the first Wulven to pass through this Gate, in fact he only did so while chasing a pack of Minotaur slaves as they tried to escape, his ferocity and leadership quickly placed him high among the Man of Shadow's favored lieutenants. Had he been able to harness the powers of a Shadow Crystal few doubt Howlfang would have been able to vie for leadership of the Wulven packs. If this fact had ever bothered him, though, the Wulven warrior hid it well. As a trusted leader, Howlfang was the obvious choice to send as a diplomat to try swaying the minds of the leadership in Irum and he volunteered to do it the moment the idea was brought forward.
    Sharing Layar's most western border, Irum was a wasteland of stone. As such the people became her only export, trained bands of mercenaries always willing to go the highest bidder. A thousand years of peace had badly damaged the economic stability of the nation, and the fact a member of royal blood had already joined the Shadows led some of the leaders to consider the possibility of joining the invaders from a dozen other worlds. When Howlfang demanded the respect of their talks being performed in the Vale, capital of Irum, his terms were agreed upon quickly.
    The clever creature, however, had a different idea. Rather than negotiate with the Irumians he planned their complete destruction to serve as a warning to the other human forces. Under the cover of night, and aided by the sell-sword nature of many of the mercenary bands still loyal to Belladonna, Howlfang launched an unprecedented attack against the Swan and her city. Valiant as they might have been, the city's defenders were not prepared for such an assault. The Swan's advisers demanded she abandon the city, but the young ruler held strong, still believing they had a chance.
    Gunther had also been in the Vale, attempting to bring Irum into the forces of the human armies. When the General had heard that a Wulven would also be present, he'd ordered every able-bodied soldier that could fit onto the 'supply ships' now docked in the harbors. These men surged forward, joining with their new Irumian allies, and despite heavy losses drove the Shadow back.
    Despite the supposed loss, Howlfang was regarded as a hero when he returned to the main forces. So harsh was his attack that his very name was considered a profanity in the city, a blasphemy to the Swan herself. The destruction he'd brought down on the Vale had left its citizens terrified, and would drain the resources of the human forces in trying to rebuild it. Out of respect for his actions, the Man of Shadows even gave the Wulven a proper title, 'Terror of the Vale'.
    Last edited by NachyoChez; 07-17-2013 at 06:03 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Absolutely brilliant stuff Nachyo. I just love being able to picture all of these cards as actual characters in their own world. Really great work and can't wait to see more.
    "IT'S TIME TO DUEL!!!"
    "The Magnificent."
    Account for any future SC transfers by Gondorian: BP tman507

Member of PFG3
    Master of Hand-to-hand Combat
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Official Shadow Era Wiki Moderator

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    By far the best Character in Profile IMO you know as the lore and card pool further expands we might actually see some fun, lore based decks e.g Irum deck(CoI, Mystic of the Vale etc.) or Layar deck(duh)
    IGN: A1 ShadowBeast

I'm interested in seeing how you plan to kill a shadow

MY COTC DECKS
    Nishaven Hybrid

MY DP DECKS
    FT Trollers #1 Baduruu Shutdown

Ter Stripper

Serena the Card Sharp

A1:Evolution in Theory

plo
    Since humans and shadow are counterpart, and whatever one has the other has a similar counterpart: Bloodthirsty <-> Treasured Heirloom; Ascendant of the Horde <-> Ascendant of the Hero, shouldn't the human faction have a leader just like the Man of Shadow is the leader of the shadow faction? If humans have a leader at all, who is him?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Good read Nachyo! And clever avatar (I loaded the QR code )
    Extra Tough Claws - Proud Member of ETC

Articles | Decklist | Fan Fiction

Shadow Era Art Thread | PB @ DeviantArt

PFG Member | I've been interviewed!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Great stuff. A Wulven diplomat! Who would have thought.
    "I'll have you know I have the reflexes of a cat, and the speed of a mongoose"

LEGEND of TEAM JUGGERNAUTS

Recent accolades: season 5, finalist (top 8). UK streetfigher, Conquerors Bane runner-up.
    Immortalised as Flavour Winner for "Smoke Screen". Conceal, Confuse, and Obscure.

Link to irc: http://shadowera.gondorian.com/gamechat/

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongoosey View Post
    Great stuff. A Wulven diplomat! Who would have thought.
    Wasn't much of a diplomat. Slash 'n burn. But maybe he's the best they've got
    Extra Tough Claws - Proud Member of ETC

Articles | Decklist | Fan Fiction

Shadow Era Art Thread | PB @ DeviantArt

PFG Member | I've been interviewed!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Preybird View Post
    Well, I believe he was a diplomat when needed - he obviously has the Wulven preference of violence.

It is nice to show Wulven can talk and have human intelligence unlike normal wolves :P
    Proud member of TEAM JUGGERNAUTS!

Sea1111

^^The Shadow Crystal's Energy was taken,
    Eladwen froze the enemy's Ally,
    Majiya froze as her Fire Snake dies,
    Blake Windrunner strikes the final blow, upon the enemy,
    And Majiya was no more.^
    ^

--Random Thing that I Thought Of--

My theme song, cause Gondorian forced me to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8KQmps-Sog

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Preybird View Post
    Agressive Negotiations.
    IGN: E2E BallyWorld
    Common Hero: Victor, Serena, and Gwyn

Resident Sapper and Proud Member of E2E: Enlisted to Endure.

"For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found." Luke 15:24
    "This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus." Romans 3:22-24

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Good story. I'm kinda sad we can't have a look at our official Shadow Era map while reading your descriptions of the land.

When the General had heard that a Wulven would also be present, he'd ordered every able-bodied soldier that could fit onto the 'supply ships' now docked in the harbors.
    I'm interested in the men's perception of Wulven. Is Wulven a race like it is in a common fantasy story? Like dwarf, elf, human, orc etc. Or they weren't present in the world until they started seeping from the gates of shadow to Balor? If latter, there should be something on first encounter in which the reader is presented with information about this race imo. It is kinda weird to me that humans take it for granted when they face a Wulven. Apparently, it is not the first time they are face to face with Wulven. They are not shocked like they've seen an alien. They just know the Wulven.

Also, what is in the QR code?