Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Baduruu "Rock" deck

Anyone who's familiar with Magic: the Gathering has probably heard of 'The Rock'. Basically it's a midrange control/beat down deck that seeks to trade cards with the opponent, usually on a relatively one-for-one basis, run them out of threats, and then it usually wins with attrition and big creatures. Without further ado, here is my take on "Baduruu Rock". It's going pretty well for me, but I'm open to feedback because I think it could probably be better:

The Man with the Master Plan:
    1 Baduruu

Allies:
    4 Furrion Terror
    3 Infernal Gargoyle
    3 Shadow Knight
    2 Wendith Eagle-Eye
    2 Scourge Colossus

Weapons:
    4 Grundler's Double
    4 Soul Seeker
    1 Golden Katar

Removal:
    4 Death Trap
    4 Snare Trap
    2 Perfect Shot
    3 Shriek of Vengeance
    2 Ley Line Nexus
    1 Acid Jet

Miscellaneous:
    1 Arthyle's Crypt

Basically the plan is to control the early game with your traps, then land an Ally and a grundlers double. Then you basically want to keep your opponent's side of the board clear while getting little bits of damage in here and there, trying to empty out their hand. By this point you should be able to seal the deal with a fattie or two. Of course, all good plans eventually go pear-shaped, but this deck can pull out of seemingly losing board positions, so never give up unless its really hopeless.

I was taking a more defensive approach at first, with Into The Forest and Rain Delay instead of some gargoyles and Wendiths, but the extra creatures all help out, and make winning less dependent on protecting the first dude you stick. Terror is in there to help against swarms, Wendith plus a weapon eats nearly any fattie your opponent might throw down, Knight is obvious, Colossus could possibly be replaced for those looking to build this on the cheap (Kairos works pretty well, or more Knights/ fatties of yr choice), but he is an auto-win against some stuff if you get him down in time. Gargoyle has been the most recent addition, but he's always been a great creature and he works really well to turn on the card draw from Grundler. Very often, you may find yourself using your weapons to push through the last points of damage before yr opponent can recover.

It can have a little bit of problems against rush opponents if they clog up the board before you can get down your traps, But soul seeker and terror are usually enough to let you recover. Also, Golden Katar is a pretty hard defensive wall for some strategies to get through, and it's usually good for 4-6 damage to the opponent. It may not be necessary, but when I had only 8 weapons, I sometimes found myself without a target for Baduruu's ability. 9 seems to be right in the sweet spot.

Warriors and wolves can be a pain in the ass, because they can incapacitate your big guys. I don't really feel like Sacrificial Lamb is justifiable in this build, but maybe it would be good.

Anyhow, thoughts from anybody? I find it very fun to play and I have a good win loss record with it, Although I haven't put in enough testing to really say what its problematic matchups are yet.

(And yes, I realize if the opponent is paying attention they will know exactly what traps I play, because I don't include enchanted Forest or rolling boulders or any of those, but I feel like they would weaken the consistency. Traps are in there to kill dudes. If your opponent doesn't use dudes, start resourcing your traps. If he doesn't use small dudes but he uses fatties, resource the snare traps. It may be obvious, but I feel like this approach to playing traps works better than trying to keep the opponent guessing which necessitates including less necessary cards.)

EDIT: Forgot to mention one thing: Wulven Savage can be a HUGE pain in the ass for this deck if the opponent buffs him out of range of Furrion Terror's ability. I might try replacing the Perfect Shots with Flaming Arrow or Poison Arrow, but I feel like they're slightly less versatile overall. Anyone have advice on how to deal with this guy? If Elementalis gets him pumped up, it's race or die, which kinda sucks.
    Last edited by DukeDemonKn1ght; 05-01-2013 at 10:23 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    A refreshing change from the usual resource destruction Baduruu(including mine :P). Always wanted to try attrition builds with other heroes besides Zaladar attrition so I will be going around to test this . My suggestion would be more 3cc allies like Morbid Acolyte to cut through Stealth, Protector and more annoyingly Sandworms and Gargoyle armor. Another 5cc I would suggest is PB which IMO in this deck is more better than Collosus. Sure it's Legendary and all but PB can control the whole board just by his ability which I might add, solves your Wulven Savage woes too
    IGN: A1 ShadowBeast

I'm interested in seeing how you plan to kill a shadow

MY COTC DECKS
    Nishaven Hybrid

MY DP DECKS
    FT Trollers #1 Baduruu Shutdown

Ter Stripper

Serena the Card Sharp

A1:Evolution in Theory

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    1 Baduruu

Allies:
    4 Furrion Terror
    3 Infernal Gargoyle
    3 Shadow Knight
    2 Wendith Eagle-Eye
    2 Scourge Colossus

Weapons:
    4 Grundler's Double
    4 Soul Seeker
    1 Golden Katar

Removal:
    4 Death Trap
    4 Snare Trap
    2 Perfect Shot
    3 Shriek of Vengeance
    2 Ley Line Nexus
    1 Acid Jet

Miscellaneous:
    1 Arthyle's Crypt

I don't think you have enough draw. All I see is grundler's double which isn't reliable on its own. Furthermore poison arrow I think is a must for any hunter deck. As for the weapons I run 4 grundler's and 3 soul seekers and I find that's plenty. I like 3 soul seekers because I would sacrifice when I get it early game since I rather draw then heal early game chances are.
    Other then that you ally choice look good and it seems fun.
    Last edited by Yvan Antoine; 05-01-2013 at 11:08 AM.

Banned
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Agree with Yvan, not nearly enough draw. Baddy can get away with just grundler's when he's also running the 8 resource destruction cantrips, but without those you will be starved constantly.

Also 6 item destruction is probably excessive.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Basically I agree with everyone on the card advantage, because this deck does have some consistency issues with drawing extra cards. The thing is though Sacrificial Lamb and Bad Santa are both way wrong for this strategy, bc I don't run quite enough creatures for lamb, and giving the opponent extra cards with Santa is like the antithesis of this type of attrition strategy. Do y'all think that I should try running Pride of the Mountain? It seems to me to be like the only other viable draw engine for this deck that exists at this point.

I don't really agree with Poison Arrow as a necessity, IMHO it's not even that great a card outside of Victor and Banebow, bc their abilities work better with it.

As far as item destruction, I feel like weapons and armor are pretty prevalent in the new meta. And 3 Shriek of Vengeance are basically in there to cut the opponent off of his draw engine.

Anyway, if I was to add 2-3 Pride of the Mountain, what should I cut for it?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I don't like Death Trap too easy to work around unless you plan your traps properly. It's the only commonly used trap that's 3cc so the moment it comes down your opponent will just trigger it with a Kris or Firesnake
    IGN: A1 ShadowBeast

I'm interested in seeing how you plan to kill a shadow

MY COTC DECKS
    Nishaven Hybrid

MY DP DECKS
    FT Trollers #1 Baduruu Shutdown

Ter Stripper

Serena the Card Sharp

A1:Evolution in Theory

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowborn View Post
    I don't like Death Trap too easy to work around unless you plan your traps properly. It's the only commonly used trap that's 3cc so the moment it comes down your opponent will just trigger it with a Kris or Firesnake
    Actually, this hardly ever happens. Fire Snake doesn't see that much play anymore, seems to me. And obviously, if your opponent is going for a swarm strategy, then Furrion Terror, Soul Seeker, and Golden Katar are the cards you want to be playing. Death Trap is great against decks that run a few large dudes, and adequate against basically any strategy that uses allies. Not to mention if you play your Snare Trap before your Death Trap, it will eat their 1-drop ally.

I mean, not to bitch overmuch, but are people actually play testing this list before you tell me what does or doesn't work about it??

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeDemonKn1ght View Post
    Anyone who's familiar with Magic: the Gathering has probably heard of 'The Rock'. Basically it's a midrange control/beat down deck that seeks to trade cards with the opponent, usually on a relatively one-for-one basis, run them out of threats, and then it usually wins with attrition and big creatures. Without further ado, here is my take on "Baduruu Rock". It's going pretty well for me, but I'm open to feedback because I think it could probably be better:

1 Baduruu

Allies:
    4 Furrion Terror
    3 Infernal Gargoyle
    3 Shadow Knight
    2 Wendith Eagle-Eye
    2 Scourge Colossus

Weapons:
    4 Grundler's Double
    4 Soul Seeker
    1 Golden Katar

Removal:
    4 Death Trap
    4 Snare Trap
    2 Perfect Shot
    3 Shriek of Vengeance
    2 Ley Line Nexus
    1 Acid Jet

Miscellaneous:
    1 Arthyle's Crypt

Basically the plan is to control the early game with your traps, then land an Ally and a grundlers double. Then you basically want to keep your opponent's side of the board clear while getting little bits of damage in here and there, trying to empty out their hand. By this point you should be able to seal the deal with a fattie or two. Of course, all good plans eventually go pear-shaped, but this deck can pull out of seemingly losing board positions, so never give up unless its really hopeless.

I was taking a more defensive approach at first, with Into The Forest and Rain Delay instead of some gargoyles and Wendiths, but the extra creatures all help out, and make winning less dependent on protecting the first dude you stick. Terror is in there to help against swarms, Wendith plus a weapon eats nearly any fattie your opponent might throw down, Knight is obvious, Colossus could possibly be replaced for those looking to build this on the cheap (Kairos works pretty well, or more Knights/ fatties of yr choice), but he is an auto-win against some stuff if you get him down in time. Gargoyle has been the most recent addition, but he's always been a great creature and he works really well to turn on the card draw from Grundler. Very often, you may find yourself using your weapons to push through the last points of damage before yr opponent can recover.

It can have a little bit of problems against rush opponents if they clog up the board before you can get down your traps, But soul seeker and terror are usually enough to let you recover. Also, Golden Katar is a pretty hard defensive wall for some strategies to get through, and it's usually good for 4-6 damage to the opponent. It may not be necessary, but when I had only 8 weapons, I sometimes found myself without a target for Baduruu's ability. 9 seems to be right in the sweet spot.

Warriors and wolves can be a pain in the ass, because they can incapacitate your big guys. I don't really feel like Sacrificial Lamb is justifiable in this build, but maybe it would be good.

Anyhow, thoughts from anybody? I find it very fun to play and I have a good win loss record with it, Although I haven't put in enough testing to really say what its problematic matchups are yet.

(And yes, I realize if the opponent is paying attention they will know exactly what traps I play, because I don't include enchanted Forest or rolling boulders or any of those, but I feel like they would weaken the consistency. Traps are in there to kill dudes. If your opponent doesn't use dudes, start resourcing your traps. If he doesn't use small dudes but he uses fatties, resource the snare traps. It may be obvious, but I feel like this approach to playing traps works better than trying to keep the opponent guessing which necessitates including less necessary cards.)

EDIT: Forgot to mention one thing: Wulven Savage can be a HUGE pain in the ass for this deck if the opponent buffs him out of range of Furrion Terror's ability. I might try replacing the Perfect Shots with Flaming Arrow or Poison Arrow, but I feel like they're slightly less versatile overall. Anyone have advice on how to deal with this guy? If Elementalis gets him pumped up, it's race or die, which kinda sucks.
    With you putting 4 Furrion Terror in your deck how do you counter Frost Mages and their abilities?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt63084 View Post
    With you putting 4 Furrion Terror in your deck how do you counter Frost Mages and their abilities?
    If u mean Eladwen, FT is decent against her usually, Because she tends to play a rush deck that revolves around small allies and burn. He's immune to her Fireball's, and he kills her dudes a lot of the time, so I don't see dying to her freezing ability as being a huge deal.

If u are asking about Mage decks built specifically around the freezing mechanic, you may want to resource your terrors if you think your opponent is holding a bunch of Freezing Grip. Generally speaking, this deck doesn't usually need a lot of creatures in play to win, it just needs to make sure that it's opponent doesn't establish Board Presence. I win a lot of games on the back of one or two pumped weapons, a Gargoyle that sticks around for a while, and then a larger beater who comes down to replace or supplement him after a while. Keep in mind though, that Furrion is actually decent against Frosted Urigon if he hits first. Tbh it's not a very prevalent strategy, and freezing decks aren't really high on my list of things to be afraid of, because all the ones I've seen play some cards that seem sort of slow or ineffective. Snow Sapphire is probably their strongest card, but we have a decent number of ways to destroy it.

I'm not really sure, did I answer your question?
    Last edited by DukeDemonKn1ght; 05-18-2013 at 09:22 PM.