Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

A Card Spotlight/Review #1: "A Morbid Obsession"

Dark Prophecies Card Spotlight #1:
    "A Morbid Obsession" By Cyph3r.

So with DP live for 2 weeks now,I'm sure most of you have your favorites,likes,dislikes of the set like me and in my first of many card spotlights,I will review why I either love,like or dislike a card from the much anticipated and much loved Dark Prophecies expansion. So, I'm sure by the title of the this article, you know what card I'm talking about, yes you guessed it, Morbid Acolyte! To sum it up best, this card is freaking sweet. If your not familiar with this card, here's a little refresher and for any NEW PLAYERS who still don't understand what "Passive Abilities" are, here's a simple and easy way to understand passive abilities;
    Passive Abilities are abilities that ally's have that don't cost anything to trigger(in terms of Shadow Energy or Resources) and can only be triggered by either an action like what Tainted Oracles ability is "Draw 2 cards when T.O is Killed. Or another example of passive ability are Gargoyle's, Sandworm's and Ironhide Karash's Reduced damage ability. Also keep in mind abilities that allies have that trigger when played(Belladonna's, death Mage's etc) are not considered passive and Morbid will not be able to stop those abilities since they trigger during opponents turn and because you can't target a ally that hasn't been played that may or may not be in you're opponents hand.

1. Card: Morbid Acolyte.
    2. 2/5 Ally
    3. Ability : Pay 2; Target ally losses passive abilities until the end of your turn.
    So why is this card so freaking sweet. Well chumps I'm sure we've all had games where you wished you could kill Gargoyles with a single fireball, or didn't have to gamble by killing a opponents Tainted Oracle because your only play is a supernova, or how about those annoying Moonstalker's decks that uses ally's and you have no way of killing newly dropped ally's your opponent played just before he used Moonstalker's ability. In a nut shell, Morbid Acolyte allows you to deal with these types of issues, and you don't have to be committed resource wise since Morbid's ability cost just 2 resource's and depending who you're playing, a 2/5 ally going to be around for an average of 2 turns minimum. Of course this card has its draw backs and for now, it's played in very specific Archetypes which is one reason why this card isn't noticed or seen widespread in the QM lobby as much as one would think. Keep in mind what the favorable match ups are when thinking of building your next deck with this guy.
    1. Great against shadow mages:
    Gargoyles
    Deathbone
    Cobra demon (also dark flayer)
    Wulven tracker etc.

2.Human Mages also,
    Tainted Oracles
    Erika shadowhunter
    Ravens etc,

3. Rogues
    Any ally with stealth(which also includes Lance's ability when played).

Some bad match ups would really be against Hunters and Priest. I say Priest for the simple fact that they have great resource denial type of cards and its not hard to keep opponents at 2 for most if not all of the match when played correctly, but also cause they have the best board sweep that doesn't really hurt them one bit in Tidal wave. Hunters oppose another problem. Hunter's and their traps (both new and old) can really force you to play other 3cc ally's first and really negate Morbid's threat early in game to the point where they won't need to worry mid to late game because by then you really won't be playing to many 3cc ally's on turn 8,9,10 and depending what hero your up against it could be all but over by then anyways.

For now I see this card only becoming more and more popular in QM but should see extensive play in the tournament scene since this type of card fits perfectly in a control based build. After all of this consideration that I've laid out I would rate this card a solid 7 out of 10 where 1 being one the most poorly designed cards and 10 being one the
    most unique cards designed.

Hope you guys/girls like.....
    In a few days I should have another card spotlight and have a couple ideas but until then,
    Good Luck & Have Fun!
    K4H Cyph3rX83
    Tournament & League Wins Achivements
    Semi-Finalist AA1 Duel Tournament.

Current Quick Match Rating= 261.(39 away from 300)

8 Time Tier 2 Meltdown Finishes.

"I have become death, Destroyer of Worlds"
    -Robert Oppenhiemer.

PROUD FOUNDER OF KINGS 4 HIRE

KINGS 4 HIRE- "Hire a warrior; gain a sword. Hire a king; gain an army."

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Awesome read up. Really love MA too he can force certain plays out of your opponent. Recently just played Serena and I had to get rid of opponents MA before I could cast my TO
    IGN: A1 ShadowBeast

I'm interested in seeing how you plan to kill a shadow

MY COTC DECKS
    Nishaven Hybrid

MY DP DECKS
    FT Trollers #1 Baduruu Shutdown

Ter Stripper

Serena the Card Sharp

A1:Evolution in Theory

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Yeah MA is a really good card. Good Utility.
    IGN: Master Savage
    - 1st Place in 7/26/13 BP Challenge Tournament #7
    - 1st Place in 6/13/12 Pop-Up Tournament.
    Un-official Tournament Organizer.
    Ranked 2nd in Minnesota for Yugioh.
    Warriors of the Blue Phoenix, Greatness Reborn.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    good write up, and i agree morbid acolyte is one of the top 3cc shadow allies
    SHADOW ERA, ETC

ENLIGHTENING THE COMMUNTY

IGNS: JONATHAN STRANGE
    KELLHUS