Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Ideas for the Legendary Allies

Se, we all know about the Legendaries now, so it got me thinking about other ways to use these new cards:

1. As a prize for completing the upcoming campaign. You could be able to get one copy of each by completing the campaign
    (One for the shadow campaig, one for the Human Campaign) These could also be given with an alternate card art in order to make the booster versions more valuable.

2. Tournaments. This could also be a different artwork to make these cards a super valuable reward for anyone who wins an official tournament. Non-new artwork ones could be given to 2nd, 3rd and 4th place as well.

Anything for avoiding giving an illusion of P2W. Getting the legendaries for completing the campaign will be pretty great for atleast getting one of each.
    I AM THE FRICKIN' ARCH-MAGE OF THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE!!
    Have a sword in your face!

God damn these facts getting in the way of my succes!!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin JF View Post
    Anything for avoiding giving an illusion of P2W. Getting the legendaries for completing the campaign will be pretty great for atleast getting one of each.
    Except Legendary cards aren't game breaking. They're pretty good. But they aren't going to single handedly win games.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakkon View Post
    Except Legendary cards aren't game breaking. They're pretty good. But they aren't going to single handedly win games.
    Doesn't matter, it can still give an illusion of pay to win. It's not enough to be balanced, it has to look balanced too.
    I AM THE FRICKIN' ARCH-MAGE OF THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE!!
    Have a sword in your face!

God damn these facts getting in the way of my succes!!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin JF View Post
    Doesn't matter, it can still give an illusion of pay to win. It's not enough to be balanced, it has to look balanced too.
    I completely agree. Even if dark flayer was available only to paying players, it would still be a problem.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by lentan View Post
    I completely agree. Even if dark flayer was available only to paying players, it would still be a problem.
    What if it was Selfishness? Or Urgent Business?

And GDC confirmed the Merchant would be putting some of his "own" on the Market.

I'm not a big fan of the concept either, but you can't say they're really abusing it either.
    Last edited by FDL; 04-16-2013 at 01:19 AM.
    FDL TV!

Channel | Thread | Twitter
    Deck Techs, Game Commentary, Replay Analysis and more!

FDL Tips: The Metagame, Balance and You || Empty Hands
    LL Decklists: Serena || Elementalis

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Fou DeLile View Post
    What if it was Selfishness? Or Urgent Business?

And GDC confirmed the Merchant would be putting some of his "own" on the Market.

I'm not a big fan of the concept either, but you can't say they're really abusing it either.
    I didn't see that GDC post so now I feel like an idiot for my post in the other thread lol.

Oh well, I think if the merchant will be putting his own on the market, I don't see whats wrong with them. let them be exclusive to pack purchasers for a short while, then open up the markets.

It doesn't matter what the card is, every card should be available to all players, otherwise the game loses something that draws me to it at least, the idea that everyone is on an even playing field, and it's all about what you choose to bring to the table to play with, not what you CAN bring to to the table and play with.
    TJX Member - My Twitch TV Channel: http://www.twitch.tv/bluebird503

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by bluebird503 View Post
    it's all about what you choose to bring to the table to play with, not what you CAN bring to to the table and play with.
    Agreed.
    FDL TV!

Channel | Thread | Twitter
    Deck Techs, Game Commentary, Replay Analysis and more!

FDL Tips: The Metagame, Balance and You || Empty Hands
    LL Decklists: Serena || Elementalis

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I still don't get this. They throw two cards that first of all, aren't even really that good, and are harder (not impossible) to get for free players, and everyone starts complaining? It's a freemium game. You can choose to pay, and get stuff like vanity items (sleeves and foils) or early access to a whopping two cards, or you can lurk the merchant to find a player sold one or wait for Wulven to give the merchant a few copies. Games like MTG and Yugioh release super desirable cards in Ultra Rare forms, making them nigh impossible to get without buying multiple booster boxes, make the players wait six months, and then release a common variant so everyone can use it.

Wulven will probably have both Legendaries in the merchant in two days, maybe less. Everyone will have them, and this whole pay to win hullabaloo will be over.
    Acolytes of A1
    "Students Today, Masters Tomorrow"
    IGN: AA1 Scrooge

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Meh Yugioh also has prize cards given to players who win a YCS or bigger tournament, these cards are tournament legal and extremely rare (like only 4 copies in existence rare), they usually get released to the public later at a cheap price and at a lower rarity, or they become banned... Which most prize cards have been...

I don't mind the Legendarys... Although it would have been a better incentive to give them away as a prize card but whatever is clever
    IGN: Master Savage
    - 1st Place in 7/26/13 BP Challenge Tournament #7
    - 1st Place in 6/13/12 Pop-Up Tournament.
    Un-official Tournament Organizer.
    Ranked 2nd in Minnesota for Yugioh.
    Warriors of the Blue Phoenix, Greatness Reborn.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by CyrusKhane View Post
    I still don't get this. They throw two cards that first of all, aren't even really that good, and are harder (not impossible) to get for free players, and everyone starts complaining? It's a freemium game. You can choose to pay, and get stuff like vanity items (sleeves and foils) or early access to a whopping two cards, or you can lurk the merchant to find a player sold one or wait for Wulven to give the merchant a few copies. Games like MTG and Yugioh release super desirable cards in Ultra Rare forms, making them nigh impossible to get without buying multiple booster boxes, make the players wait six months, and then release a common variant so everyone can use it.

Wulven will probably have both Legendaries in the merchant in two days, maybe less. Everyone will have them, and this whole pay to win hullabaloo will be over.
    What card are you referring too in MTG.... I'm completely lost, I don't think your comparison is fair at all.

If you are talking about older formats, Type 1 is not officially supported and Legacy is only supported with a handful of events a year. Also while the price is outrageous , you CAN acquire those older cards, like power 9, etc through online dealers or brick and mortar shops, as singles without opening booster packs.

These cards are legal in the current ranked ladder play in Shadow Era, and probably for official tournaments as well... there are no cards with unique gameplay in MTG that are standard legal, that are not easily obtainable without opening a booster box. I've NEVER bought a booster box in MTG, and I've won over 3000 packs on magic online, and have never once opened one for the hell of it trying to find a card, I always buy singles, not having the option to buy as a single, is a problem.

As long as they come in to the merchant within a certain time frame, SE's model is fine, but if it takes too long, it would leave a strong distaste in my mouth.

Yugiohs model of releasing exclusive cards with exclusive gameplay, is awful, and I don't support it.
    TJX Member - My Twitch TV Channel: http://www.twitch.tv/bluebird503