Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    DP Visionary
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

rating indicator? and what is rating good for?

Hey guys,

How do you know what rating is high and in comparison to the rest of the players?
    I'm 182rated now, is this high/low? when will you be in the top 2-5% orso?
    In most competitive online games you know fairly accuratly what % of players are higher and lower then you.
    Leaugue of legends for example, elo with divisions and league's (gold, platinum etc).
    Is there any way to sort of accurately measure your rating with the rest of the players?
    This might sound silly to some people, but I'm pretty competitive and like to meassure myself with others.

And the second thing I'm wondering about is what does rating give you (except L33tness when ur among the highest)?
    Any vanity rewards etcetera?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Rating... hmm...
    Buried Treasure of Nanana
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix/ Greatness, Reborn
    My tournament achievements

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    If you go to shadowera.com. Then go to rankings you can see the rankings of the current top 100.

DP Visionary
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvan Antoine View Post
    If you go to shadowera.com. Then go to rankings you can see the rankings of the current top 100.
    Thanks, but i actually knew about that, but what does that really say?
    Let me exxagerate a example. What if only 100 people played this game? then being in the top 100 doesnt mean anything, right?
    But if like 5 milion people play the game, being in the top 100 is very good. I have no idea how many people play this game, so no idea either of how good the top 100 is.

So what I'm trying to say is I have no, reference point to what is a good rating and what is a fairly low rating.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by dispx View Post
    Thanks, but i actually knew about that, but what does that really say?
    Let me exxagerate a example. What if only 100 people played this game? then being in the top 100 doesnt mean anything, right?
    But if like 5 milion people play the game, being in the top 100 is very good. I have no idea how many people play this game, so no idea either of how good the top 100 is.

So what I'm trying to say is I have no, reference point to what is a good rating and what is a fairly low rating.
    Right now rating means very little because most people are not bothering to keep up with rating decay. However when ratings in 1.5 where pretty normal you can try to make a few tiers. For example at 200< you will normally see a decent number of playing mistakes it is also where you will see really large decks with tons of niche cards like Urgent Business. From 200-250 number and severity of the mistakes generally have gone down a lot although decks are less ideal (or at least proper resourcing is less likely). From 250-280 you have experienced players mistakes are going to be even less obvious and decks are normally going to be pretty standard it also seems to be the ranking group that normally competes and win in pop up tourneys. 280+ (some might say 300+) are the really strong players normally they fill the top 100 but by the end of the top 100 ratings seem to be < 310. That is not always accurate either though I have seen players in the 280s play quite poorly but use really simple and tuned decks and players in the 230s play very well with more difficult or less optimal decks.
    That is from my experience anyway perhaps someone else will chime in and correct me.
    Hope that answers your question.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Psalm 91:7 A thousand may fall at your side, ten thousand at your right hand, but it will not come near you.

Zhou - Servant of the Eternal Saviour
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn.

IGN | BP Zhou | Information on my Guild | Group | SE Players of Malaysia | Tournaments | BP Popup #37

BP Hispanic | Link a la rama hispana de BP
    SE Achievements | Full List
    Articles/Guides | FAQs for New Players and Forum Goers

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Rating is good for match making so that if you're a newbie, you don't get matched up with very skilled players and vice versa if you're skilled. It then allows a more enjoyable game where both players are relatively of the same skill range.

That's the ideal situation. It gets screwed up when skilled players have ALT accounts that are low-rated getting matched up with new players. Also, players who are no longer that active will end up getting a rating of around 249 because of the rating decay. Basically, the rating is more accurate when the majority of the players are actively playing.

If you want to know how good the Top 100 are, try to aim to break into the Top 100. Depending on how far you can go, you can make your own mind up on your own standing in relation to other players. If you're truly interested in how you match up with other players, I suggest joining the tournaments (player-run or official) and see how far you go. Going all the way to the finals will also net you some shadow crystals as well as recognition among some of the forum-goers as a "skilled" player.

1.27 Tournament Champion Raphael Majere's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Agreeing with all danae said.

Quote Originally Posted by danae View Post

That's the ideal situation. It gets screwed up when skilled players have ALT accounts that are low-rated getting matched up with new players. Also, players who are no longer that active will end up getting a rating of around 249 because of the rating decay. Basically, the rating is more accurate when the majority of the players are actively playing.
    As i have suggested, fixed ratings reset (every 2 or 3 months) will solve the issue.

There won't be a clusterfuck of 249 rated players.

Alt accounts will be harder to maintain.

Ratings are more accurate since everyone needs to work again every 2/3 months.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    if you really want to compete, best thing to do is to join tournaments. also, you can win shadow crystals if you reach finals.
    click gameplay, click organized play then scan threads in there.
    for more information about tournaments here in se, click this link:

http://www.shadowera.com/showthread....ough-the-forum

welcome btw to the forums section.
    IGN: BP Darkenheart

The Vengeful Ghost of Dark Helm's Past
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn