Close

Threaded View

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Fan Fiction - Burning Sands

Let's give this thing a try! I began writing this a while ago, but got inspired to continue after reading Preybirds The War Within, so here it is, the first part of my Shadow Era fanfic, Burning Sands. I don't think I can compete with Preybird, or anyone else for that matter, but please, read it I really appreciate it, So, read it, give me feedback, etc. etc, and I hope you enjoy it

Part 1 - Investigations

Tespar stopped at the well to take a drink. It was the hottest day in living memory, and yet Tespar wore his plate mail, as he had done ever since he arrived at the city of Elvar to join the city guard. It did not matter to him that the city was located in the scorching desert. He had been sent from Irum, as a gift to Elvar, A fine warrior to serve in the city watch as a symbol of peace between the kingdoms. It had not taken more than a few months before he rose to the position of commander of the city watch. 6 years he had served Elvar now. The first days had been unbearable, and he had almost passed out on several occasions. But without his armor he never felt safe, and this was especially true in times like these. To think that the kings own son had been murdered in his own room, deep within the castle… Nowhere was safe anymore. Tespar had barely known the boy, the kid preferred to keep to himself. But he had seemed like a likable lad, and he was the son of his king. Tespar felt like a failure. He was supposed to serve and protect him, after all. But he had failed. Tespar had spent the entire week searching for clues, but once again he had to return to the castle with nothing to report.

Tespar walked into the Sandstone Keep and saw the throne empty. Not unexpected, of course. That week king spent all his time in the crypt underneath the castle, mourning. Tespar opened the grey door that led into the royal crypt before he stopped. He could hear voices. Two of them. As he came closer, he recognized the first. It was the Kings voice. Not a surprise at all, considering the circumstances. The second voice was certainly familiar, but he couldn’t quite place it. He moved as silently as he could in his heavy armor. As he moved closer, he recognized the voice. It was the court mage, Altairn. Altairn had been gone for a month on errands for the crown, and Tespar had almost forgotten his silky smooth voice. “No, your grace. I do not think your father was a fool, but-“
    “He was a fool. A good man, but a fool”, Tespar had never heard King Eleon talk like that about his father like that. Eleon’s father had died of old age three years past. Tespar remember it well. The whole city had mourned for weeks. In comparison, it almost seemed like no one in the city knew that the king’s heir had been murdered. No one seemed to remember. It seemed strange to Tespar. “You are right”, the king continued. “We can’t let that invasion stop us forever. Your magic will keep the beasts harmless, even if we decide to reopen the pit, is that correct?” Tespar remembered the invasion. Five years ago, beasts had swarmed out of the city’s Fighting Pit. Monsters with no other goal than to reduce the city to ashes. Altairn had finally saved the city by sealing the monsters under the Ashpit, were they belonged. They were no danger to the city now.
    “Yes. Your father felt it was best to close the Ashpit after the invasion, even though I insisted it would not matter. He didn’t care about the loss of income closing the pit would cause. He didn’t want to take any risks”
    “Is there a risk?” He noticed the sound of Tespars approaching. He turned around. “Oh, it’s you, commander. Any progress in the investigation?” He said, even though he knew the answer would be the same as always. There just were no clues to go by. Tespar answered with silence. The king sighed. “How is it possible that someone enters the castle, gets past the twenty or so guards placed to protect him, murders my son and then just disappears? It's like he is some sort of ghost. Whovever is responsible, one thing is for certain;We are dealing someone dangerous here, Tespar. I want you to find him. I don’t care how. But for now, the crown needs more money to increase the safety in the castle. I have sent a messenger to my daughter for her to return, and I am reopening the Ashpit.”

Tespar was silent for a few seconds. He remembered the Ashpit well. A big, underground arena built in the cavern below the city. It used to be a huge attraction; people from all over the world would go to Elvar to see the brave warriors fight to the death in the incredible heat, or to test their strength and endurance and become an Ashpit Warrior themselves, and win gold and glory. For quite some time the pit had also served as a prison. A rapist was forced to fight ten times, a murderer 20, and a thief once before they would be let free. However, almost all new challengers fell, and it had not been uncommon that even the victor fell due to the heat afterwards. The heat killed more people than steel. On the stands, the heat in the caves was intense. The sun above was nothing in comparison. Down in the pit itself, however, the heat was devastating. Wearing armor of any kind was suicide; it would almost melt into your skin. most chose to fight in nothing more than a loincloth while wielding a spear. But all who visited the Ashpit had one thing in common; they all had to walk through one of the four gates. The Gold Gate was for those who wanted only to watch and bet on the poor souls below. The Iron Gate was where all fortune seekers who wished to duel would enter, and if they won, they would leave through the Silver Gate to greet the fans and receive their winnings in silver coins. If they were to fall, due to heat or steel, they would be thrown into the Ash Gate. The Ash Gate was not much more than a hole in the ground they used to get rid of the corpses and no one knew where it leads. All they knew were that it wasn’t pleasant.
    “Are you sure about this, your grace?” Tespar had seen the men fighting scream as the destroying it got to them before someone showed a spear through their guts. He had seen men foolish enough to wear clothes catch fire, from gods know what, and he had seen their burnt bodies being thrown down the Ash Gate. He couldn't say that he was among those who wanted to witness such things again.
    “Yes, I am sure. The city has been going downhill ever since my father closed the damn place. I mean to reopen it. Altairn has assured me that nothing can go wrong. Oh, and that’s right. I mentioned my daughter, did I not? When she returns to the city, I want you to be with her, always. She is my last child, and I cannot afford to lose her. Not in times like these.” And with these words, the king wanted to be left alone with his son.
    Last edited by Martin JF; 03-28-2013 at 01:34 PM.
    I AM THE FRICKIN' ARCH-MAGE OF THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE!!
    Have a sword in your face!

God damn these facts getting in the way of my succes!!