Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Fan Fiction - The War Within

The Beginning of the End

One shot to start a war.

The arrow flew through the air as though guided by an invisible string. It came on so quickly there was no way to possibly even see it until it had penetrated the heart of its target. The poison on the tip worked quickly, spreading into the bloodstream to ensure a quick and certain demise. King Harak was dead before his body hit the ground.

The soldiers that he was addressing fell into disarray as everyone either ran toward their fallen King or feverishly attempted to find the assassin. The King’s detail tried their best to stem the tide of onlookers but to no avail, and a number were crushed as people surrounded the monarch. Those looking for the assassin spread out and searched the nearby buildings, though there was no cohesion or order to their efforts and as such no one noticed the hooded figure leave a nearby building and walk calmly from the scene.

-------------------------

“What do you mean NOTHING?!” Terrence Harak roared. Rakir, the Captain of the Guard cringed and bit his lower lip. With the death of the King his son was next in line, and Terrence’s rage was legendary. All three of his wives had been sent to the gallows for very minor slights against him. While many had thought King Harak was mad, his son was undoubtedly worse.

“My liege, we have been unable to find the assassin, where he fired the arrow, or indeed any evidence of any kind.” Rakir steeled himself for the inevitable retribution.

“Then I suggest you go and search again.” Terrence snarled, every word promising a painful death should Rakir fail. “Now.”

“Yes my liege.”

“All right, we need to broaden the search.” Rakir stated. He was standing in the plaza where the King had met his end and the two dozen men under his command awaited his direction. As he sent them all off he sighed and pondered the future of the Kingdom. The last 24 hours had been a whirlwind of emotion for the people of Aladene. While the public outpouring of grief had been suitably overbearing, the common folk hated the King; he was a brutal tyrant who oppressed his population to prevent anyone from attempting to usurp his power. Even his own son suffered as a result, cast off to an outlying township to act as mayor. This prevented him from ever gaining enough support to oust the elder Harak, and this treatment was no doubt responsible for his son’s current demeanour. And now with Terrence in charge, Rakir believed things were going to go from bad to worse. The faces of the few civilians in the plaza signified they were thinking the same thing.

Looking around at the buildings surrounding the plaza, Rakir stepped up to where the King had died. He had been hit in the chest, a single shot that penetrated his heart. The nearest buildings were almost seventy metres away, so the assassin had to be using a highly strung bow, and for concealment purposes would probably have been a reflex bow as a longbow was far too big. Remembering the angle of the arrow, Rakir surmised that the assassin had to have been on one of the top levels of the building he fired from. Also considering the distance he would have to be an uncanny marksman, and amazingly strong. The building directly opposite had a suitable rooftop, and would be a likely place for a clear shot.

He waited until the first of his search parties returned before ordering them to follow him. The building in question was a hostel, a low grade affair with multiple tenants to a room and shared facilities. The manager of the rat-infested establishment looked as though he enjoyed the company of said rodents, his clothing dirty and his hair filthy. He had a strong body odour and his teeth were yellow and rotten. Rakir had to resist holding his nose as he talked to the man, who despite appearances was rather jolly. He was quite happy to give them free run of the hostel to conduct their investigation, and Rakir gave him some money as a thank you. He didn’t have to, but most businesses were struggling as a result of the King’s policies and every little bit helped.

Rakir’s men went from room to room, checking for any sign that their assassin had taken up lodgings. While they were searching, Rakir headed up the stairs to the rooftop and as he opened the door the calm breeze of the day passed over him, invigorating him somewhat.

From the rooftop he had a clear view of the plaza where the King had been giving his speech to the soldiers. He walked over to the edge and assumed an archery stance, positioning his arms as though he was holding an imaginary bow. Sighting along his arms it was too difficult to determine anything about the shot without a target, so he called down the stairs to one of his men to stand where the King had been. As the soldier positioned himself in the plaza Rakir picked up his imaginary bow once again.

With the Guardsman acting as a target, it was easier to get a feel for the type of shot required. Rakir was no marksman, but he could tell the distance to the target meant that the arrow would sink significantly in flight, even with a highly strung bow. To hit the King directly in the heart would be nigh impossible, and Rakir had to conclude that if this was the vantage point, whoever did this was almost inhumanly skilled.

Sighing, he brought his hands back down and began searching around for evidence of the assassin. The rooftop was clean, almost too clean when compared to the rest of the hostel, but Rakir had to assume that not many people came up here. Due to the cleanliness of the rooftop it wasn’t hard to find the coin.

Rakir bent down and collected the small coin. It was golden and obviously not one minted in the Kingdom of Harak. The coin was slightly sticky to the touch, as though something had been spilt on it. On the outside of it was a ring of text indicating its value, and while one side was smooth, the other side had the symbol of a hydra stamped on it. Rakir frowned as he put the coin in his pocket. He did not look forward to what Terrence was going to say about this.

“Those bastards.” Terrence muttered. Rakir was expecting a roaring tirade; however the fact that Terrence had kept his cool was somehow even more intimidating. The coin he had found was from the nearby kingdom of Karamok and as Rakir had suspected the sticky substance was poison, specifically the venom of the Rakhash snake. He was glad he’d washed his hands thoroughly after handling it.

“What shall we do now, my liege?” Rakir asked.

“Kill them of course.” Terrence replied flatly. “Karamok has declared war.”

Rakir took a deep breath, “My liege, by itself this is not enough to prove it was a Karamok sanctioned assassination. Our culprit may be someone who simply passed through on their way to our lands. Declaring war on Karamok would be a costly endeavour for this kingdom.”

Rakir instantly regretted his statement. “You DARE to contradict me?!” Terrence shouted, unsheathing his sword. “I shall kill you where you stand.”

Rakir prepared himself for death, but was surprised to see one of the King’s advisors, an elderly and wizened man whisper into Terrence’s ear. After a few moments Terrence nodded and lowered his blade. “You are lucky that Khal here agrees with you. He has been my counsel since I was a boy and is one of the few in my father’s court that I can truly rely on.” Rakir breathed a sigh of relief as Terrence continued. “But this must be investigated further. I will send an envoy to Karamok at once, to seek answers from their king. Good work Rakir, my father may yet see vengeance.”

Rakir nodded and left the throne room as quickly as he could manage, unable to shake the feeling that the worst was yet to come.
    Extra Tough Claws - Proud Member of ETC

Articles | Decklist | Fan Fiction

Shadow Era Art Thread | PB @ DeviantArt

PFG Member | I've been interviewed!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Fan fiction is back!
    Fire Snakes are high in Vitamin D.

Account for Gondorian to put crystalz into: Reshiram99

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Nice, keep it coming!
    Captain of Team BP, winners of Guild War Z
    LINK

Picture Caption: BP players watching me play LIVE in Singapore, for Guild Wars, me in South Africa, vs. Rayzie in Australia

IGN: BP TheSt4lker

It is noble to die in battle. It is far more noble to make the other guy die in battle

Noble hunter of darkness
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

INFORMATION ON OUR GUILD

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Good reading! i cant wait for the next one

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Hmm...

...Wendith has a cloak....

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Let the war begin!

I'll get typing too (with a little tribute to you Birdy too)
    "I'll have you know I have the reflexes of a cat, and the speed of a mongoose"

LEGEND of TEAM JUGGERNAUTS

Recent accolades: season 5, finalist (top 8). UK streetfigher, Conquerors Bane runner-up.
    Immortalised as Flavour Winner for "Smoke Screen". Conceal, Confuse, and Obscure.

Link to irc: http://shadowera.gondorian.com/gamechat/

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Reshiram99 View Post
    Fan fiction is back!
    Almost makes me sound like I'm a brand

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoosey View Post
    Let the war begin!

I'll get typing too (with a little tribute to you Birdy too)
    I read your story, looking forward to more!

Quote Originally Posted by a player View Post
    Hmm...

...Wendith has a cloak....
    Indeed she does. So do a lot of people in the game

This arc will be rewarding for those who have been around a long time. That's all I'll say for the moment
    Last edited by Preybird; 03-25-2013 at 10:23 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    A good day for Shsdowera! (which is needed with the expansion stall...) Fan fiction returns!
    Love always looks for the best, never looks back, and keeps going until the end. Love is not self seeking. Love doesn't keep track of others wrongs. Love is patient and kind; isn't proud or rude; not easily angered; does not delight in evil; always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. All who learn from the Father come to ___.

Love rejoices in the truth.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by True Life View Post
    A good day for Shsdowera! (which is needed with the expansion stall...) Fan fiction returns!
    Expansion stall? Where? lol

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Grass Roots

Bodies everywhere.

The throne room was filled with them. Writhing, glistening and caught up in the orgy of sex and gluttony. Moans of ecstasy echoed through the room as men threw themselves upon the courtesans with wild abandon. Those not enthralled in acts of carnal pleasure were gorging themselves on the finest foods and wines in the kingdom. Many were combining the two, lapping up delicacies spread over nubile young bodies.

Mikhail grimaced as he made his way through the throne room toward King Castigor, dodging bodies and flailing limbs as he did. He closed his eyes as he heard a young girl yelp in pain, a poor virgin sold by her family to feed the King’s insatiable appetite for smut. He knew that the King paid handsomely for pretty virgins to fill his harem, but could not fathom how a father could allow that sort of future for his daughter.

The King was sitting atop his throne as he always did, watching proceedings and being tended to by a pair of buxom courtesans. He was naked from head to toe as was expected at these gatherings, his obese form wriggling and jiggling as the two women plied their trade. As Mikhail got closer, he could see the disgust on the courtesan’s faces whenever their expressions could not be seen by the king. As he stood in front of the throne the courtesans paused.

“Ah Mikhail! Care to join me?” King Castigor roared.

“Not while I’m on duty my Lord.” Mikhail replied flatly. “What did you wish to see me about?”

“Always businesslike. You should take some time out to relax. The shining star of my guard should enjoy the perks of the King’s favour.” Castigor replied with a smile. “However if you are adamant about getting down to business, so be it. Aleena has gone missing again.”

Aleena Castigor was the daughter of the King, and his complete opposite in almost every way. She was dedicated to the Kingdom and its people and spent a great deal of time trying to ensure a prosperous and safe place for all. She was much loved by the common folk and many silently prayed the King would die from gluttony so she could take the reins.

“I shall fetch her immediately.” Mikhail stated, bowing slightly and getting out of the room as quickly as he could.

Mikhail hadn’t asked for more details, he didn’t have to. Fetching Aleena had almost become a weekly event. Truth be told Mikhail didn’t mind, these weekly jaunts had meant he’d gotten to know the princess quite well, and they now got along well. It was far nicer dealing with her than her father.

So naturally the first place he went to was the nearest local hall. It was Thursday, and the Priestly Order held food nights for the less fortunate. More often than not Aleena could be found there helping out. Unfortunately the priest in charge of the food night had not seen her, which meant that she was probably at one of the other twenty or so halls and that Mikhail was going to be in for a lot of walking. At least I’ll be working off dinner.

And so began a long night. Mikhail must’ve walked for at least two hours, checking halls and homeless shelters to no avail, but just when he was about to call a time out, one of the vagrants on the street remembered seeing her heading towards a nearby temple. Hoping that his night would soon be over, Mikhail set off with all haste.

Arriving at the temple Mikhail found no Aleena, but the priest had spoken to her only an hour or so ago. She had been asking about further ways that she could help the Priestly Order assist the people, so that she could try and convince her father to enact some policies in the interests of the city. Unfortunately the priest had no idea where she’d gone after that.

So Mikhail sat on the sidewalk, thinking about his next move and trying to think where she would’ve gotten to. Across the street was an alleyway, and whether it was something he’d noticed that didn’t quite register or just pure instinct, Mikhail found himself walking toward it, a slight sinking feeling making itself apparent.

As she stepped around the corner he realised why.

Aleena Castigor lay dead in the alley, her body splayed out on her back and a rather savage looking axe embedded in her chest. Mikhail had to do a double take to realise it was her, and a single tear ran down his cheek. But there would be time to mourn later, now he had to find out who did this.

The first thing he did was check her body for signs of assault. He had warned her of the many gangs that roamed the streets at night, and how many liked to prey on young women. They saw their King indulging in all manner of perversions and many felt they had a right to sample some of that as well. And being the King’s daughter she was quite the prize. Thankfully there were no signs of sexual assault and no signs of struggle on her body, which meant that her death was most likely quick. Thank heavens for small mercies.

Looking around the crime scene, Mikhail noticed a lot of disturbed dirt in the area around the alleyway, which indicated Aleena had been dragged here. It was unlikely she had died in the alley. There were also large footprints in the dirt, so Mikhail began tracking them back. They led him to a side street that he knew people used as a shortcut between city blocks. There he found blood splatter on one of the walls from when the axe had struck her. Some bins had also been knocked over and broken, obviously from when she had fallen. Sighing, Mikhail began scanning the scene for further evidence.

Looking at the bins that had been knocked over, a small red rag caught his eye. Picking it up he realised it had been torn from an item of clothing and running it through his fingers it was obviously made of the finest materials. But the most interesting thing was the embroidery showing one half of an emblem, an ornate helmet. That was the symbol of the Kingdom of Herodius, and suddenly Aleena’s murder got more sinister. If another Kingdom was involved then there was a very real chance that this would explode into full scale war before the week was out. However it was only a scrap of cloth, hardly an indicator of a sanctioned assassination. Mikhail just hoped the King would see it that way.

He turned to look at the wall. The assassin had been directly facing Aleena when he struck, Mikhail could see his outline in the blood spatter. He was slightly taller than Mikhail, and from what he could make out, was of slight build. One other interesting thing he noticed on the wall was scratch marks, as though a cat had run its claws over the brickwork. They weren’t very deep, but definitely deliberate, and something told him they were important.

Making a mental note of everything he had seen, he went back to Aleena’s body. Paying his last respects and covering her with his jacket, he hurried back to tell the King the tragic news.