Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

No DP Gwen decks yet? Help me with my solo deck...

Seems since DP, Baduruu is the popular one and I haven't seen anything on Gwen yet. I'm not very experienced but I can hold my own with my current Gwen around 250 rating. So here goes...

This is a Gwen SOLO deck. I know there are some awesome allies to be used but I'm having fun annoying so many Mages (thank you Spelleater). What I'm looking for is what you would add to or take away with this SOLO deck. I know I'm not going to win every match but this seems to be doable and half the fun of playing is trying new strategies.

Current cards: 44 Cards total...I'm looking to shave it down though.

1 Gwen

2 Aimed Shot
    2 Poison Arrow (kept only for the stealthies and delay)
    2 Flaming Arrow (ditto)
    4 Rapid Fire
    4 Into the Forrest
    3 Survivalist

4 Snare Trap
    1 Enchanted Forest (thinking of buying more, still testing this card out)

2 Sever Ties (I've thought of dropping because it's only Wulven and Warriors that I rarely use this)
    2 Ley Line Nexus
    3 Bad Santa
    3 Master Smith (maybe cutting this to help consistency)

4 Soul Seekers
    2 Guardian's Oath
    1 Feathered Longbow ( Waiting to buy more...probably will drop Guardian's once I get more)

2 Spelleater Bands (obviously for mages)
    1 Night Prowler (fun every now and then just to annoy)

I used to have 4 Rain delay, 4 Retreat and 2 more FA and PA, but with 50+ cards it was too long before I was drawing Rapid Fire so I took all of those out and have been playing with this.

Basically I've been adding DP cards to my COTC Gwen Solo deck and this is where I am so far. I love survivalist a lot and has been helping with the draw, I'm thinking 1 more of these, and 3 more Longbows?

If you hate the idea of a Solo Gwen, that's fine but what would you do IF you were to solo gwen? I'm looking over the expansion stuff but need some more ideas...
    Last edited by Karnee; 04-23-2013 at 05:34 PM.

1.27 Tournament Champion Raphael Majere's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Banned
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I can't see how this would be competitive without retreat and rain delay.

Why run master smith when you could run lilly?

I also think not having at least a couple grundlers is a mistake.

Edit: No bazaar?!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by JeetKuneDo View Post
    I can't see how this would be competitive without retreat and rain delay.

Why run master smith when you could run lilly?

I also think not having at least a couple grundlers is a mistake.

Edit: No bazaar?!
    I was the same on rain and retreat. My problem was I couldn't see what other cards to get rid of because I needed my rapid fire faster. Suggestions on what to get rid of so I can have retreat and rain delay?

I prefer master smith for a few reasons. 1. Stops Majiya draw (i know, very rare.) 2. Mind Control, Rabid Bite or an ally (death collector) for enemy to draw from my graveyard. 3. I want to pick my item. If I just lose my weapon and then armor but need my weapon, I like to pick what I need for situation.

I do see the advantages of lily but have done okay with master smith.

Grundlers is one I'm thinking of. I thought to get rid of FA and PA and use that. Obvious downside is it costs 6 and with SS at 5 and so I wanted a 3 cost with the feathered bow to avoid LLN. Not sure if this is smart but maybe i should run 2 grundlers and 2 feathered? Still contemplating.

Is there a huge advantage of bazaar over bad santa? I figured they were more or less on par with each other, imo.
    Last edited by Karnee; 04-23-2013 at 06:50 PM.

Banned
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I think BS is better because it won't get countered, but you should probably run both.

That was actually a pretty intelligent answer for MS Keep it in then, but 3 is probably excessive. Other than that, I can see the value of arrows over rain delay/retreat. You've got a bit of a different take on it but I can see where you're going with it.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by JeetKuneDo View Post

That was actually a pretty intelligent answer for MS
    I have my moments.

Yea, 3 does feel too many in this deck considering if I ever use a MS it's usually late game and I'll only use 1 maybe 2.

My biggest problem seems to be a Solo Darkclaw once he draws out What Big Teeth. Still looking for a counter to that....only way I beat him is to rush attack and kill him by about T7 or T8. This is the only reason I'm still holding onto Sever Ties to get rid of his quick strike.

On a side note, anyone used change of fortune? I'm thinking of trying out 2 to get rid of Blood Moon. I don't want to tech too much but any experience with this card and if it is worth it?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    poor quality works until he gets the next one. but basically Solo DC is a bad match up for solo gwen as DC carries Spectral Sabre and has ambush.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Poor Quality ?

I forget if that reduces base attack by one, or just the durability double dis? For some reason the link to card art didn't work on previous post, maybe need capitalization? Let's see....

Yeah, that worked, and PQ is probably a good solution.
    Least active member of: ETC (Ended There by Chance)
    Account for Gondorian to transfer Shadow Crystals to: m0ghedian

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Okay here are a few changes from original and I'll 'try' and explain gameplay but I figure it's pretty obvious...

1 Gweneth Truesight

2 Aimed Shot
    2 Poison Arrow
    2 Flaming Arrow
    4 Rapid Fire
    4 Into the Forest
    4 Survivalist +1 (added one...I play better when I can play this on T4)

3 Snare Trap -1 This is a nice card but only in beginning to slow em down.
    0 Enchanted Forest -1 Seems to only be a late game card, imo.

2 Sever Ties
    2 Bad Santa -1 ( Cut one and added survivalist, gives me better chance to draw)
    2 Master Smith -1 (most games are done after I use 2-3 weapons...so this is only around for late game)
    1 Poor Quality +1 (going to try this out and see how it works out for me)
    2 Retreat +2 ( Has helped mid game )
    2 Ley Line Nexus

4 Soul Seekers
    1 Guardian's Oath -1 ( too defensive....only reason I like it is cause of it's durability)
    2 Feathered Longbow +1 (Love this card if I'm playing 2nd, Cheap dmg and can last long with Gwen.)

2 Spelleater Bands
    1 Night Prowler

Total Cards 42 + Gwen = 43

Here's how gameplay plays out 'ideally'

T1 Sac
    T2 Sac + Snare Trap
    T3 Sac + FA a weenie or Snare if FA not there or Feathered Bow if I'm 2nd
    T4 Sac + Survivalist
    T5 Sac + Rapid Fire
    T6 No more saccing unless I need Spelleater Bands right away. Usually the Feathered Bow is done by this turn and I'll get the extra card. From there I'll pull out Soul Seeker and keep going from there. If I can clear their allies and have Rapid Fire going, I'll play Night Prowler on T7 to really demoralize them.

I try and keep my fire going on the Hero 80% of the time, if possible. I'll let the allies hit me and hopefully die from my pumped bow. That's why I put the 2 retreats back in for the fatties who come around T6-8. Usually around this time game is either over or they have already swept me. I'll add on aimed shot on my 2nd or 3rd bow to close the game out and sac up to 7 late game.

Now this isn't always how it works out obviously but this is what I'm aiming for. A few times I've had my life go down to about 10 and I'll have to clear allies with Soul Seeker to get back in the game. I've been thinking of adding 1 more Night Prowler because once I clear those allies, they'll spend a turn getting their stuff together and it seems like a good turn to steal some cards and play against them.

Honestly I'm amazed I'm decently competitive in the 250 range. Maybe it's because there are so many mages at this level. Take a look on QM of my recent games...
    Last edited by Karnee; 04-24-2013 at 07:48 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Looks like a fun deck! X-)

But one of us must be miscounting, I keep getting 40 cards plus hero.
    Last edited by a player; 04-24-2013 at 07:34 PM.
    Least active member of: ETC (Ended There by Chance)
    Account for Gondorian to transfer Shadow Crystals to: m0ghedian