Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

My Resource Denial Baduruu

So I've been messing around with this deck on the test server and having quite a lot of fun with it. I wouldn't say it's really finished yet, as there are some things that I might consider changing around as I play more with it and figure out what does and doesn't work. I just wanted to post the decklist and go over how it works and what I'd perceive some of the strengths and weaknesses to be, along with key cards. Keep in mind, I am not a really expert deck builder, this is just sort of a deck I've been testing and having fun with lately, and is the first deck I've ever posted, so advice/feedback on it is welcomed. So without further ado, the decklist:

Hero:
    1x Baduruu

Allies:
    3x Infernal Gargoyle
    3x Ironhide Karash
    2x Wendith Eagle-eye (may wind up being replaced by Furrion Terror)

Abilities:
    4x Poison Arrow
    2x Rapid Fire
    4x Here Be Monsters
    2x Shriek of Vengeance
    2x Ley Line Nexus
    2x The Perfect Shot
    2x Word of the Prophet

Items:
    4x Cobraskin Wraps
    3x Soul Seeker
    3x Snare Trap
    4x Grundler's Double

1. How it Works: The basic idea of this deck, as the title suggests, is to deny your opponent of their resources. Keeping their resources low does a few things. Firstly, it keeps them from being able to play much on their turn. Even if they can keep saccing up to 3 resources, they most likely can only play one card, which will most likely be something you can deal with easily. Basically once you get an ally and a weapon out, you are pretty well set, with just being able to drop resource destruction on them like crazy. Just keep dealing with any threats they have, and if they don't play anything, just keep attacking the hero for damage.

2. Ideal Turn Sequence: Turn 1: nothing, unless you have WotP, and need to get some of your resource destruction or weapons into your hand. Turn 2: Ironhide Karash or Snare Trap. If I have a choice between the two, I prefer to play IK when going first, Snare Trap when going second. Snare Trap can be great for messing up their T3 in this way. Turn 3: Infernal Gargoyle or HBM. Use Gargoyle if you don't already have a Karash out. If IK is out, then you can start with dropping your resource destruction on them. Turn 4: If you go second, you will be able to use your ability this turn. Keep dropping that resource destruction. This just really covers the first few turns, as the rest of the turns should hopefully just continue with dropping resource destruction and attacking for damage. For an example of a really ideal game, see my match on the test server (tman507test vs. Kross), so long as it's still there on the test server.

3. Key Cards: 1. Here Be Monsters: One of your resource destruction cards. Also draws you a card each time you use it, so you keep up your hand advantage. Just keep in mind that your opponent has to have equal or greater resources than you for one of their resources to be destroyed, so you will have to keep your resources low as well (which is where Baduruu's ability to summon your weapons comes in handy). 2. Cobraskin Wraps: Pretty much the same as HBM, difference being this card destroys one of your resources as well, but has no restriction on your opponent's resources being equal or higher. It also draws you a card, just like HBM. 3. Grundler's Double: Great bow for Baduruu. He can summon it on T4, and start doing damage. It ignores stealth, which can help against many pesky allies, as well as helping against Moonstalker. Also, when you only have 1 ally out by the end of you turn, GD draws you a card.

4. Strengths: 1. Slowing your opponent down: especially if they are a hero that relies on high cost cards as part of their strategy. Even if they make use of lower cost cards, they will likely only be able to play one card a turn. 2. Hand advantage: This deck can give you massive hand advantage. With your field and hand fully set up, you can gain a plus 2 in cards each turn. This can happen as you draw at the start of your turn, don't sacrifice (if using HBM), draw when using HBM, then draw at the end of your turn with GD if you only have one ally out (which you often will). Also, as with any resource destruction deck, your opponent is often forced to sac cards that they wouldn't sac otherwise to try to keep up in resources.

5. Weaknesses: 1. Not drawing your resource destruction. This is what WotP is principally here for, as this destruction is key. 2. Heroes that can make use of lower cost control cards and low cost item destruction. Warriors can be a problem, as they can use the 2 cost Crippling Blow on your allies, as well as the 3 cost weapon destruction of Smashing Blow. Priests also have that low cost item destruction in Focused Prayer. Classes that only have access to Ley Line Nexus to destroy high cost weapons shouldn't be much of a problem, as ideally you should be able to prevent them from being able to reach 5 resources to use LLN.

6. Notes: As I said at the start, there are some things that could be changed about this deck. One thing that I've found is that since I also keep my resources low to use HBM and CsW, the higher cost non-weapon card (e.g. Rapid Fire and Wendith) I've really never used. Wendith as mentioned above might be replaced with Furrion Terror, for more late game control, which is really what most of the higher cost cards are in for, just in case my early game resource destruction doesn't work perfectly. Something that might eventually get put in is Into the Forest, depending on if I decide to take certain things out, but for now, I haven't had much trouble without it, but I'll figure out more as I test.

Anyway, that's about it for now. Not sure if I've forgotten to say anything in particular. Reply with whatever questions, suggestions, or feedback you might have.
    Last edited by tman507; 03-25-2013 at 07:58 PM.
    "IT'S TIME TO DUEL!!!"
    "The Magnificent."
    Account for any future SC transfers by Gondorian: BP tman507

Member of PFG3
    Master of Hand-to-hand Combat
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Official Shadow Era Wiki Moderator

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Maybe evil ascendant can be added to control those 1-3cc weenies
    "Try and try until you die...or succeed...whichever comes first"

Jo3yb0i - Knight of Dark and Light
    Greatness, Reborn

Drawing Power - A Brief Analysis of Draw Cards

My PM | <(^.^)> | Helpful Links | <(^.^)> | IRC | <(^.^)> | IRC + Game | <(^.^)> | SE DeckBuilder

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Jo3yb0i
    Maybe evil ascendant can be added to control those 1-3cc weenies
    Interesting idea. I would have to test it out. Although as of yet, I haven't had much trouble with dealing with those low cost allies, as they usually can't swarm them due to lack of resources (although 3 sudden Sparks could be annoying), and usually just my bow plus an ally is enough. Definitely a card worth looking into though that I hadn't previously thought of.
    "IT'S TIME TO DUEL!!!"
    "The Magnificent."

Member of PFG3
    Greatness, Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Do you manage draw your res destruction consistently? a big problem i had while playing CotC Baduruu Resource denial was either not being able to draw res destruction consistently(hence i couldnt delay the opponent for long enough) or drawing it only when it is too late( past T3 and T4, WotF and Grundler‘s Double are strong draw engines but they are T4 plays past the crucial T3 stage. I dont have access to the test server nor did i play Baduruu for very long so i cant give good advice but im just curious if you‘ve usually managed to draw HBM by T3 or Cobraskin by T4
    IGN: A1 ShadowBeast

I'm interested in seeing how you plan to kill a shadow

MY COTC DECKS
    Nishaven Hybrid

MY DP DECKS
    FT Trollers #1 Baduruu Shutdown

Ter Stripper

Serena the Card Sharp

A1:Evolution in Theory

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowborn
    Do you manage draw your res destruction consistently? a big problem i had while playing CotC Baduruu Resource denial was either not being able to draw res destruction consistently(hence i couldnt delay the opponent for long enough) or drawing it only when it is too late( past T3 and T4, WotF and Grundler‘s Double are strong draw engines but they are T4 plays past the crucial T3 stage. I dont have access to the test server nor did i play Baduruu for very long so i cant give good advice but im just curious if you‘ve usually managed to draw HBM by T3 or Cobraskin by T4
    In the few games I've played with this deck so far, I've been getting my resource destruction pretty well at the start. There was one match where I din't get enough early on, and my opponent (a Nishaven) was able to get up to the 5 resources necessary to use LLN, but I still managed to win. If you don't get your res destruction, you pretty much just have to go about and play the match in a more traditional manner of saccing until you get up to those higher resource amounts to do more normal things like summoning a couple of allies at once, or playing an ally and a Poison Arrow, or something like that. Like I said in the main post, another thing that can be a problem is low cost control cards like Crippling Blow. You will often need the attack of both your ally and your hero, so if they CB your ally, you either have to cast another ally and lose the whole res destruction plan for a turn, or keep going with the res destruction, and hope another ally isn't needed just yet.

Will hopefully be doing more testing with this deck later today.
    "IT'S TIME TO DUEL!!!"
    "The Magnificent."

Member of PFG3
    Greatness, Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    A few comments.

1) GD only ignores stealth, not protector. So Birgitte and Yari can force you to waste your very limited firepower.

2) EA is invaluable. Protector is one good case of use. The other is Wulven Savage. Only PA in your current deck can kill WS. But if WS is buffed by Elementalis, you have to use both PA and TPS on the same turn to kill it.

3) I don't see the point of including RF. It is a win-more card which allows you to win faster. I would suggest considering 2x NP instead.

4) As a matter of fact, rogues are the worst for resource burn. You cannot reliably keep them at 3. They will reach 4 once you have to use Wraps. And then a single Stop, Thief! will break both your bow and your resource lock.
    Last edited by Tyr Anasazi; 03-25-2013 at 04:17 PM.
    IGN: TJ TyrX
    Trapmaster of Jars
    Move as swift as the Wind. Hide as silent as a Forest.
    Attack as fierce as Fire. Defend as steady as a Mountain.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyr Anasazi
    A few comments.

1) GD only ignores stealth, not protector. So Birgitte and Yari can force you to waste your very limited firepower.

2) EA is invaluable. Protector is one good case of use. The other is Wulven Savage. Only PA in your current deck can kill WS. But if WS is buffed by Elementalis, you have to use both PA and TPS on the same turn to kill it.

3) I don't see the point of including RF. It is a win-more card which allows you to win faster. I would suggest considering 2x NP instead.

4) As a matter of fact, rogues are the worst for resource burn. You cannot reliably keep them at 3. They will reach 4 once you have to use Wraps. And then a single Stop, Thief! will break both your bow and your resource lock.
    1) Oh, durrr, my bad, you are right. Grundler's Double does only ignore stealth. I don't know why I was getting its effect mixed up with Wulven Predator's. Post edited to correct this.

2) Definitely thinking of putting Evil Ascendant in. You definitely bring up some cards that could be problematic without it.

3) Yeah, Rapid Fire is definitely something I could replace, as I never really wind up playing it. Not really sure about replacing it with Night Prowler though, as it also is high cost, and something I would therefore wind-up playing really late in the game anyway. If I'm going to focus on the late game, I would actually rather have RF than NP.

4) Stop, Thief! would definitely be a problem, for the exact reason you mention, although I'm not quite sure what you mean about being able to keep Rogues at 3 resources easily. The match I reference in the post was against a Lance, and I kept him down for a long time. By the end he busted out that Stop, Thief!, but it was too late by that point. And as for them getting to 4 once you use wraps, keep in mind that Wraps doesn't have the same restriction that HBM does, so you can sac to 4 while they have 3, then blow up one of each of yours resources, leaving them with 2 and you at 3.
    "IT'S TIME TO DUEL!!!"
    "The Magnificent."

Member of PFG3
    Greatness, Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by tman507 View Post
    1) Oh, durrr, my bad, you are right. Grundler's Double does only ignore stealth. I don't know why I was getting its effect mixed up with Wulven Predator's. Post edited to correct this.

2) Definitely thinking of putting Evil Ascendant in. You definitely bring up some cards that could be problematic without it.

3) Yeah, Rapid Fire is definitely something I could replace, as I never really wind up playing it. Not really sure about replacing it with Night Prowler though, as it also is high cost, and something I would therefore wind-up playing really late in the game anyway. If I'm going to focus on the late game, I would actually rather have RF than NP.

4) Stop, Thief! would definitely be a problem, for the exact reason you mention, although I'm not quite sure what you mean about being able to keep Rogues at 3 resources easily. The match I reference in the post was against a Lance, and I kept him down for a long time. By the end he busted out that Stop, Thief!, but it was too late by that point. And as for them getting to 4 once you use wraps, keep in mind that Wraps doesn't have the same restriction that HBM does, so you can sac to 4 while they have 3, then blow up one of each of yours resources, leaving them with 2 and you at 3.
    My take on resource burn is that you cannot put all your eggs in that single basket. Even with WotP, you need almost perfect draw to keep your opponent at 3 resources. But you only have 8 resource burn cards.

So there are two ways to help with this main strategy. One, destroy opponent's draw so that you can force opponent into top-decking with only a few resource burn, like 2-3. Two, combine resource burn with hand destruction such as NP. Either way, the goal is to allow your opponent to have resources but no card to play or the other way around, cards but not enough resources to play.
    Last edited by Tyr Anasazi; 03-26-2013 at 02:54 PM.
    IGN: TJ TyrX
    Trapmaster of Jars
    Move as swift as the Wind. Hide as silent as a Forest.
    Attack as fierce as Fire. Defend as steady as a Mountain.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Hi, Resource destruction is something I have played a lot with, in this game. now with DP its more viable

My version goes like this :

1x Bad

4x Grag
    3x Poison
    4x HBM
    2x Shriek
    4x Evil A.
    2x Sever
    2x LLN
    4x Cobra
    3x SS
    4x Furion
    3x Snare trap
    2x WOTP
    4x Grundler

Grungler + Grag + EA is a really nice combo, this deck needed a lot of draw to be stable, and now its possible.
    Perfect shot would be rly nice put cant find place to fit it in.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Test Tickle View Post
    Hi, Resource destruction is something I have played a lot with, in this game. now with DP its more viable

My version goes like this :

1x Bad

4x Grag
    3x Poison
    4x HBM
    2x Shriek
    4x Evil A.
    2x Sever
    2x LLN
    4x Cobra
    3x SS
    4x Furion
    3x Snare trap
    2x WOTP
    4x Grundler

Grungler + Grag + EA is a really nice combo, this deck needed a lot of draw to be stable, and now its possible.
    Perfect shot would be rly nice put cant find place to fit it in.

How about mix Cobra skin with enchanted forest ?
    because Resource burn deck is all about making your oppenent delay to cast LLN, Isn`t it ?
    It is just a thought what do you think ?