Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Characters in Profile (5): Earthen Protector

About the Card:
    Earthen Protector was among the first, and most powerful, cards to rely on combos in Call of the Crystals. Hidden behind an Aeon, he can create a whole new level of threat. Humans have little recursion, but this guy can abuse it with utter delight. He also boasts a healthy attack, making him a genuine threat all by himself.
    Cost: 5
    Faction: Human
    Ability: When a friendly ally is killed while Earthen Protector is in alive and can be damaged, that ally is returned to play with +2 base attack and +2 health, and Earthen Protector is killed.
    Flavor: ’They have disturbed the balance. Nature will restore it.’

Background:
    When Layar first began falling under the might of the Shadow's growing forces, their first reaction was to search out allies from the other nations. Though it had been a thousand years since the Last War, few of their neighbors felt any need to intervene on behalf of the besieged nation. Despite the nightmares the Shadow seemed to be bringing from other worlds, no one seemed to deem them a threat to the rest of Balor. It was not until the assault on Castle Layar cost the country its capital that the few leaders remaining came onto a plan.
    Using the energies of the Shadow Crystals, they fused magic into one of the statues that had been under construction for shipment to their new fortress atop Mount Balor. Most crumbled into nothingness, which caused the creators to weep in despair and frustration. It was almost a week of failure before any meaningful progress was made, but these attempts made little more than useless lumps of moving clay. At last, as their rage over the futility peaked, the work paid off.
    The birth of this 'Earthen Protector' ushered in a new moment for the failing cause of the humans. Not only had they found new ways to create soldiers to fight along side themselves, but they'd also created a weapon that could reveal what was at stake. By promising more such soldiers, Layar was able to convince Lyth and Ellos to join their side in the conflict.
    Last edited by NachyoChez; 07-17-2013 at 06:05 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Was there a mention of how shadow crystals came to be in official lore? If there is none, there should be a piece on them or a mention of how they were created/found, for what purpose, by whom etc. Maybe they are like a rare mineral / ore or an anomaly that started to appear in mines. I remember something from the very first lore piece but I'm not sure. The one that was coming with CotC playmat iirc. I still haven't read all of the official lore btw.

Nice bit. So when a soldier dies, EP reanimates it while coating it with earth causing it to gain stat boosts.
    Last edited by ahmet476; 07-23-2013 at 10:27 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    ^ Also, do we know anything about the Shadow world itself? All we know is from when the Gates appeared on Earth, how Shadow affected Earth.

EDIT - Saw DMT and Howlfang's bios, so Scheuth is a Shadow planet and so is Tinnal? How many shadow planets are there?
    Last edited by Saf; 07-23-2013 at 12:32 PM.
    BP Inactive member | IGN: SafOne

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Saf View Post
    ^ Also, do we know anything about the Shadow world itself? All we know is from when the Gates appeared on Earth, how Shadow affected Earth.

EDIT - Saw DMT and Howlfang's bios, so Scheuth is a Shadow planet and so is Tinnal? How many shadow planets are there?
    Earth is not involved at all. The humans are on a world (whether it be a planet or a dimension or whatever) called Balor.
    Congratulations to Preybird for designing my Avatar!

In Game Handle: Warr Byrd

Contributions to the Game:
    Flavor text for Wild Berserker: The odds are always in my favor
    PFG3: To Be Released Soon™

Tournament Wins: None, I'm Timmy Johnny not Spike!

Shout out to Gondorian, nerull7, Nikola D, plo, Preybird, Super Grover, and Zhou86 for submitting potential avatars!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Warr Byrd View Post
    Earth is not involved at all. The humans are on a world (whether it be a planet or a dimension or whatever) called Balor.
    Ohhh I see, and any story on how they got there? Since all the lore I've read starts past that point

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Saf View Post
    Ohhh I see, and any story on how they got there? Since all the lore I've read starts past that point
    . . . I'm guessing you don't read a lot of fantasy novels.

The general convention in fantasy is that the story takes place somewhere, frequently not Earth but sometimes an alternate Earth, and the predominant race is humans, and you may have other intelligent races such as elves, dwarves, dragons, hobbits, whatever. The reason for this, from a story telling standpoint, is that the human (and near-human) characters make it easier for the reader to connect and develop emotions for them, while the setting allows the story-teller to make their own rules about how magic works and where everything is located (in cases of an alternate Earth, it allows the story teller to make changes to history and how magic influenced it). This makes it somewhat different from science fiction, where even the imaginary stuff is somewhat bound by the rules of the reality we are accustomed to.

TL;DR - the humans are originally from Balor.
    Congratulations to Preybird for designing my Avatar!

In Game Handle: Warr Byrd

Contributions to the Game:
    Flavor text for Wild Berserker: The odds are always in my favor
    PFG3: To Be Released Soon™

Tournament Wins: None, I'm Timmy Johnny not Spike!

Shout out to Gondorian, nerull7, Nikola D, plo, Preybird, Super Grover, and Zhou86 for submitting potential avatars!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    tl,dr they were already there. that's another planet that life brought about a human race.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Wow, something I never realized about Earthen Protector's artwork, there are some humans standing in the lower left corner. I never realized EP was so huge!!!
    "IT'S TIME TO DUEL!!!"
    "The Magnificent."
    Account for any future SC transfers by Gondorian: BP tman507

Member of PFG3
    Master of Hand-to-hand Combat
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Official Shadow Era Wiki Moderator

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Earthern Protector is Balor's The Thing (Fantastic Four)!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thanks Warr and Ahmet!

And yea tman I never saw those people in the artwork before, nice surprise