Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I'm not sure if a total "no range"-approach would be good either - sometimes that's what a specific player might want, but at other times that same player might want to be matched with somebody near his/her own skill level, even if this would lead to longer waiting times. So perhaps one possible solution would be that players would be allowed to set their own range "scope" where opponents would be "picked" from.

For example, let's say that there's two players - the "first" player has a rating of 150, and the "second" has a rating of 200. If the first player would set his scope at 50, he'd be matched with anybody within the range of 100-200, assuming that his potential opponent also has a scope that "encompasses" players with a rating of 150. So, if the second player would have a rating of 200 and a scope of 50, he's range would be 150-250 and hence, he could be matched with the first player. On the other hand, if this second player would instead like to be matched with people closer to his own skill level, he could reduce his scope to, say, 20, giving him a range of 180-220, and this time he wouldn't be matched with the first player.

Of course, the deeper issue here is that on the test server, the rating of an individual isn't necessarily an accurate measure of that player's real skill level, since people try out all kinds of stuff that ends up lowering their rating. Perhaps if, in addition to the scope-approach, there'd be a toggleable option to play unranked QM games (and the other player would have to have this option enabled too for a match-up to be made), people could be matched within their skill level and try out creative ideas without losing any rating in the process. Whether people who'd actively use these kind of settings would be able to find opponents quickly is another question though. (Going into the Shadowera IRC chat-room to ask for custom game players might work pretty much to the same end.)

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Another Q&D option would be to have a test server ratings reset with the next update/bug fix.
    IGN: E2E BallyWorld
    Common Hero: Victor, Serena, and Gwyn

Resident Sapper and Proud Member of E2E: Enlisted to Endure.

"For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found." Luke 15:24
    "This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus." Romans 3:22-24

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by King K View Post
    Plusone. We don't need rating on test sever.
    actually, we do. it's still a way for us players to gauge the decks we're testing. no range is no solution either, as some ppl might not want to be matched up with players too low or too high up for their ratings.

a fix would be to allow an option for players to choose ranges for matching. perhaps something like 3 brackets

30-60 diff in ratings
    60-100
    100>

that way, if it's getting difficult to find matches, ppl can just widen the range until they find a match.
    Want to Join A1?

A1: Evolution in Theory. To stop evolving is to die.

It is one of my greatest hopes that in the future, mankind achieves enlightenment so high we would not need rules, laws, or government to keep the peace and govern ourselves. By our own motivation and volition, we would do what is right and just because it is right and just. This is the central tenet of anarchy. Not chaos and lawlessness, but free will and self-actualization.

Visit my blog: Potpourri

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I disagree you can still gauge how good a deck is by if it wins or loses. Any Joe Schmo can have a small win streak and get bumped up the ladder.

The test sever doesn't exist for people to train at being a top 100 champ its there to help balance the game and find bugs. I think the rating system holds testing back.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Remove ratings. I don't know why it wasn't done before.

Quote Originally Posted by Awer View Post
    I'm not sure if a total "no range"-approach would be good either
    blablabla
    Quote Originally Posted by Jao View Post
    actually, we do. blablabla
    Test server is for testing things, if you want to be paired with people on your level or climb in the ratings go to the main server and get out of here.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    The rating system on the test server is unnecessary.

I think is actually holding people to use crazy combination of cards that's likely not competitive but useful to find a bug because they are afraid of losing and have their rating down.

Testing competitive deck in test server to get a head start in the main is fine, but I don't think that's the purpose of the test server

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Rajawali View Post
    The rating system on the test server is unnecessary.

I think is actually holding people to use crazy combination of cards that's likely not competitive but useful to find a bug because they are afraid of losing and have their rating down.

Testing competitive deck in test server to get a head start in the main is fine, but I don't think that's the purpose of the test server
    +1

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Being able to play competitively against players of similar skill level contributes to balance testing, which in my opinion, is just as important as finding bugs. After all, if balance testing isn't supposed to be done on the test server, then where? If it's done on the live server, then what will happen is that some people will buy "strong" cards with real-life money just to find out that after a balance update or two, those very cards have been "nerfed", which will lead to "that's not what I paid for"-frustration.

I agree that the current rating system on the test server discourages people from experimenting, and it's a real problem that should be done something about. However, rather than removing the rating system completely, I'd give each player the option to decide for themselves how broad a rating range they'd like their opponents to be chosen from, and the option to play unraked QM games within that range. This way, we wouldn't have to sacrifice the "competitive" aspect of the testing process over the "experimental" one.
    Last edited by Awer; 02-08-2013 at 08:11 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    its called a test server for a reason! by far i think no range would be better than ranking just my opinion

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    On the test server i think it would be okish, only problem is most of the players on the TS are uncreative and just play metas, when we should be using as many new cards as we can to test for bugs and over/under powered cards so they can be tweaked. Ayways... If there is no change thats fine i like it either way lol