Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Sandra is the only ally I would play on turn 4 over Portal, and that only because 4 resources (and 5 resources, if you're going second) are very important for many decks, so you can hinder the opponent a ton by preventing them from getting to that critical resource threshold. Sandra is just disgustingly good if you are ahead on board position.
    Constructed deck power level should not be a consideration when setting the rarity of a card.
    Frustrated by the lack of in-game chat? Talkinate! http://talkinator.com/t8r.jsp?b=ShadowEra

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tropireno View Post
    I disagree with the 1 rating for Valiant Defender and similar cards. It's sometimes Warrior's only defense against Portal and it can let you get back in the game instead of taking the cheesy auto-lose. Even without going against Portal, it's still useful if you happen to go 2nd that duel, letting you not be as weak against an opponent's setup field.

I agree on most other scores on the list, though.
    You make a good point on Valiant Defender, for its cheap cost it is the only viable choice of its type against Portal. (Cards like Cover of Night, Rain Delay, Into the Forest, or Holy Shield have too insignificant of an effect or cost too much.)

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    On Rain Delay, there's also the VERY distinct difference that it stops YOU from attacking on your next turn as well. That one little difference changes it from being an awesome card into an horrifyingly craptastic card.

The ONLY situation this could help you is if you desperately, desperately needed that one last turn to get an extra energy on your hero to activate its ability, and more than likely it would only help you if you were Nishaven (i.e. board wipe). Otherwise, it's completely useless. It doesn't help you recover, it doesn't help you even win faster, and it takes up a card slot which could otherwise be something useful.

On Valiant Defender: It's an extreme tempo disruptor, and saves many games from instant losses. A big part of this game focuses on the combat mechanics of first strike, summoning sickness, and ability to choose your targets. If you're behind as a Warrior deck on attackers, it's very hard to get back up without your guys being slaughtered before your next turn. With a Valiant Defender up, you can drop a bunch of allies without fear of them dying, retaliate, and possibly reverse the entire situation. One key thing to note though is that you really need several allies to drop along with this card. Alone this card isn't that good, but with several 2 cost creatures (which, by the way, humans have some great 2 cost creatures), this card will save games.
    Last edited by Pzychotix; 02-26-2011 at 02:50 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

An overlooked method of achieving Card Advantage

Card Advantage is a critical component to many competitive decks. Most folks think about this as simple card drawing. Meaning, if I can draw more cards than you, I have a card advantage. This is very true and very useful.

But card advantage has a subtler side. You can also achieve card advantage and fine tune your deck by using cards that can be used in more than one way. For example, Bazaar is an okay card but while it looks like it's good for you, it gives your opponent a slight card advantage because they get the benefits of it before you do. However, in a deck designed to run the opponent out of cards, Bazaar's just feed into the strategy. If that is one of your deck's goals, then any extra card drawing you can thrust upon your opponent helps you.

Another good example is a card like Jasmine Rosecult. You can use her to dish some nice damage to an enemy ally or hero OR you can use her ability to temporarily render an enemy ally inert.

Cards that can be applied to meet varying needs as conditions dictate grant a more subtle but no less useful Card Advantage without ever having to draw a single card more than your opponent.
    Mark (aka Quorlan)
    Realms Apart Studios home of Duels of the Runemasters
    A Whole New Kind of Customizable Card Game
    http://www.realmsapart.com

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Good point Quorlan. That's part of why Aeon is so good - strong to attack and a good defensive barrier.

Versatility can be quite important.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Some are dismissive about Bazaar. My opinion of it is: if you think your deck is superior than the rest, you don't worry about decking Bazaar. The gains from keeping your advantages afloat with constant card draws from Bazaar should outweigh the minor loss of taking effect first for your opponent.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AnAdolt View Post
    Some are dismissive about Bazaar. My opinion of it is: if you think your deck is superior than the rest, you don't worry about decking Bazaar. The gains from keeping your advantages afloat with constant card draws from Bazaar should outweigh the minor loss of taking effect first for your opponent.
    In fact, I think Bazaar is one of the only "counters" to Research and Blood Frenzy. So if I was playing anything besides Mage or Warrior, I know I would lose steam without a source of card drawing to compete with Mages and Warriors, but with Bazaar I'm usually able to level the playing field and keep them from playing their Research or Blood Frenzy.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    There's a fun combo that works against heroes that don't have the ability to deal direct damage to allies, although in some cases it still works -- Valiant Defender and Warrior Training. When playing around with Tel Adun, I used that with an Infernal Gargoyle. As an example, Nishaven had just wiped the board and put out an ally. I played the Gargoyle and Valiant Defender, then on my next turn put on Warrior Training and played an ally of my own. When it came back to me, I was able to play another Valiant Defender, put out more allies, and start attacking. This is obviously counter-able by cards like Fireball as well, but since a Gargoyle can survive one, I got two free turns where I couldn't take damage at all, and it turned the game around.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Update: added the four latest pieces of equipment. Will try to keep this updated as new ones are released.

Ratings are obviously just estimates without actual use of the cards.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Wulven Specific:
    [2] Lone Wolf
    [3] Pack Wolf
    [2] Regeneration
    I honestly think Pack Wolf needs to go down to a 2 or even a 1. This card just isn't viable. Health doesn't scale, and it isn't anything special for a 3 drop. Bad Wolf/Infernal Gargoyle are far superior to this card.

Regeneration this should definetly be a 3 IMHO. Removes ALL negative effects. Unlike the Priest counterpart which removes ALL effects.

Lone Wolf is the heart of the current Wulven meta.. are you sure it's fair to have it at a 2? I'd say it should be a 3 if not 4.
    Mage Specific:
    [4] Arcane Burst
    [3] Fireball
    [4] Lightning Strike
    Arcane burst on paper looks fine, but against non-AI players it's utterly terrible. I think it should be a 2.

Lightning Strike is a great card, but IMHO not a 4.. should be a 3. You rarely get the 2 for 1 plays that the card thrives from.

Fireball should be a 4 or 5... you need it at 4 in every mage deck.