Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Can Moonstalker beat Zaladar?

I’ve been using moonstalker for over two months.
    I can beat warriors, priests, hunters, rogues, wulven and sometimes mages, but I can't beat Zaladar.
    It's because of his ability and Death Mage Thaddeus combo. (Another mage...)
    Due to this combo, I can't put my allies in play easily. After controling the board, they put Behemoth or Ogloth. It's just a nightmare. Even if I luckily kill his Death Mage Thaddeus with one of my allies or Now You're Mine, they put another one or put Shadow Knight. If I use Captured Play to Death Mage Thaddeus, they use Sacrificial Lamb and Shadow Knight combo. (I don't wanna type Death Mage Thaddeus anymore...)

How do you guys deal with this problem?

Here's my current deck.

Allies
    Pack Wolf 4
    Shadow Knight 4
    Plasma Behemoth 4
    Death Mage Thaddeus 3
    Bad Wolf 3

Attachment and support and ability
    Captured Play 4 (mainly to Plasma Behemoth, Ogloth the Glutton, Death Mage Thaddeus, Marshland Sentinel)
    Now You're Mine 3(mainly to Jasmine Rosecult, Aldon the Brave, Death Mage Thaddeus)
    Full Moon 2
    Rabid Bite 2 (especially when the opposing hero put a weapon in play, I put this card to Aeon Stormcaller)
    Shadowspawn 1 (mainly to Gwenneth Truesight, Serena Thoughtripper, Drawclaw)
    Shadow Font 4
    Bad Santa 4
    Sever Ties 1 (for warriors)
    Ley Line Nexus 2 (for Snow Sapphire, Spelleater Bands, Voice of Winter)

Including moonstalker, total 42

Hope my English makes sense and we can have a fruitful discussion!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Zaladar is not that bad for MS, mages are.
    Shadowspawn is horrible, remove it as soon as you can. Why should you fear Gwen and DC? They cannot do you harm when you hide.
    You miss Wrath of the Forest, a card Zaladar doesn't like to see. Try to remove Shadowspawn, Rabid Bite and some Bad Santa/Shadow Font to add 4 copies of WotF.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Most of the really long card names have common abbreviations, so Death Mage Thaddeus becomes DMT. Other common abbreviations include NYM (Now You're Mine), Plasma B, and LLN (Ley Line Nexus).

Other tips for your deck: replace the Bad Wolf with Infernal Gargoyle (abbreviated to Gargoyle). Bad Wolf rarely survives a turn to heal, but Infernal Gargoyle will usually last a couple turns because of his ability. The only time to run Bad Wolf over Infernal Gargoyle is when you are using cards that combo with Wulven allies, such as Fangs of the Predator or Pack Alpha, as well as the upcoming cards Call of the Pack and Howlfang, Terror of the Vale (abbreviated to just Howlfang).
    Congratulations to Preybird for designing my Avatar!

In Game Handle: Warr Byrd

Contributions to the Game:
    Flavor text for Wild Berserker: The odds are always in my favor
    PFG3: To Be Released Soon™

Tournament Wins: None, I'm Timmy Johnny not Spike!

Shout out to Gondorian, nerull7, Nikola D, plo, Preybird, Super Grover, and Zhou86 for submitting potential avatars!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I agree that you need WotF for draw. Plus 2-3x Sac Lamb for supporting draw, instead of Bad Santa. With MS's ability and WotF, you can effectively use Sac Lamb.

I also think 4x of Captured Prey and NYM will suffice for ally control, no need for Rabid Bite. Take out Shadowspawn and Sever Ties. MS is already strong against warriors so no need to tech against them with 1x Sever Ties.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thank you for giving me all the useful tips , guys!
    I just removed shadowspawn and bad wolf and I also added three gargoyles.
    I also removed one bad santa and added two Sacrificial lamb.
    However, is that wrath of the forest really good?
    Around my ratings, I often fight against rogue, warrior, and priest and I have had my wotf broken soon after I put it in play and I don't have a good impression of them.
    And if you don't have any allies in play, you can't sacrifice any allies, so I still have three bad santa.
    As for sever ties, I often run across the situation where right before winning, warriors use enrage and can't beat them.
    I was saved by rabid bite many times, so I still have it in my deck, but if I feel I don't need, I'll give it notice!

Now I had five consecutive wins thanks to you guys!
    Last edited by Takumi; 01-24-2013 at 06:59 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Although I can't beat Zaladar easily, I finally made it to 240 rating from 205.
    However, I can't easily get wins from 240 rating, so I made a little adjustment.

Here's my current deck.
    Allies
    Plazma B 4
    Shadow Knight 4
    Pack wolf 4
    DMT 3
    Deathbone 3

Attachment and support and ability
    Captured Play 4
    Now You're Mine 3
    Full Moon 2
    Shadow Font 4
    Bad Santa 2
    Sever Ties 1
    Ley Line Nexus 2
    Sacrificial lamb 3

Including moonstalker, total 40

By the way, I recently had a terrible loss against Banebow with Here be monsters and Shadowspawn.
    He used Here be monsters and slowed down the game and used Shadowspawn right after using his ability clearing my accumulated shadow energies and then attacked my allies with Soul Seeker and healed the damages. By putting his allies in play, he controled the board completely.
    He was really strong...