Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Overpowerful Cards?

Just posting to see others opinions on certain cards that can be quite annoying and huge game changers, and more often than not require too little resources to use in my opinion. I am a relatively new player, I use Boris and started playing a couple of months back when things started going south with BGEE release dates. I was on a hiatus for a while and now playing again. I would consider myself average at the game. I was once ranked 140 before i stopped. Anyways, on to the cards that I personally LOATHE!

Mind Control
    Ice Storm
    Tidal Wave

This is all obviously open to debate and any cards that others personally loathe as well. In my opinion Mind Control is a bit too powerful. And the ease with which one can completely clear the field with Ice Storm and Tidal wave especially for the low cost of Ice storm seems a bit harsh, particularly for those who use an ally strategy.

Also what are some other Warriors thoughts on Shield Bash and Enrage? I long ago learned to not even include Enrage in my deck for how easily it can simply be nerfed right off you. I would much rather have a card that simply adds permanent health. And shield bash seems pretty useless. I rarely find myself using Shield Bash over any other 3 resource card. Besides Special Delivery does the same thing but it can also hit the Hero.

On a last note, I think the dev's should consider adding some new backgrounds and music to the mix.

Thanks.

Now let the debate begin.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Hi and welcome.

Well, Mind Control, spam with cheap allies and sac your 6cc, you can try to summon 5cc if you have nothing better. By playing cheap allies your opponent will lose tempo, using one MC don't allow him to summon something on the board, that's why if you have nothing better than a 5cc ally to sumon, go for it, your opponent will just use a MC on his next turn, when you reach 6 ressources summoning 2 3cc allies is far better than sumoning one Aeon obviously.

Tidal wave, when you get the board control, just use not more than 3 allies, keep others in hand so when the TW comes, you summon back some allies, one thing can work too, use just one biggy, sometimes the opponent will use his TW to kill this one ally. Like MC he won't be able to do something else when he cast TW. Keeping a Retreat, Anklebreaker, Poison Arrow is best when you use only one biggy on the board.

Ice Storm, well.... ... Huh? Last time i saw one was last winter...

For Enrage, it's a bit tricky, but still work well, most players don't run Sever Ties, and if they do so, they might sac cause they need other cards to not lose early. I wa never killed by ST, but killed 5 or 6 Warriors with my Majiya (5 or 6 but played other 100 of them, and most of the times i would have won in the next turns without using ST..)

Shield Bash can be good but Human have Retreat and Crippling Blw which do a better job imo.

And yes, we need new musik,
    "Rastas don't believe in violence... Rastas don't believe... Rastas know." -Bob Marley-

Winner of the Multi-Post Streak Challenge
    *’”⁷ᵔᵕᵔ∞*°゜゚⁰ᵒ☉●•⋆.ᵢᵢᵢ₇.。・°'¨⋋ⓚⓔⓝⓣⓤⓔⓠⓤⓘ⋌¨'°・。.₇₇₇.⋆•●☉ᵒ⁰゜゚°*∞ᵔᵕᵔ⁷‘“*
    ⊰☠ ℑcℯ ℰℒℱ ☠⊱

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    The game is most balanced than its ever been. But I do think there are still cards that, in comparison to others, are too powerful. Focused Prayer and Stop Thief come to mind. I think that item destruction should punish the player more and these cards simply do not make you lose momentum upon use because you are able to play something else in the same turn in most cases.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Yeah, pretty much what Kent said. There are indeed some powerful cards in the game, but most do have downsides. As Kent said with Mind Control, it is often a huge tempo loss for the player who uses it, especially if he plays it right on turn 5. I recently played a Zaladar who Mind Controlled about 3 of my allies, which was bad for me, but in fact worse for him, especially since he wasn't sacrificing above 5 resources at all. That meant he was killing all my allies and doing damage to me, but he was using all of his resources each turn to do only that. He wasn't playing any allies of his own. Eventually, he didn't have more MCs in his hand, and I was able to play my allies safely and have board advantage on him, as he was wasting time killing my offense and not playing any offense of his own.

Tidal Wave was also a card I found annoying when I first started playing, but you eventually learn how to play around it. As Kent said, if you have 3 or so allies on board, don't summon any more, just save them in your hand. That way when they use TW, you have things to summon. I actually watched a match once where a Boris player didn't do this, and wound up losing for it, despite having the early lead. He had 3 allies out, was keeping board control and dealing with all the opponent's threats, then laid down a Jasmine. The Priest then Tidal Waved the board. As this Boris also didn't have good draw, it was several turns before he was able to draw any more allies, and by the time he did, his opponent had board control. Also, as I've started playing around with Priests some recently, you do find that TW does tend to be kind of an emergency reset button for them, used only if they are really behind on board control.

As for Ice Storm, well, it has been a long time since I've seen anybody use that. Same goes for Shield Bash. I only use Shield Bash in one deck of my own, an experimental solo Ter Adun.

And Enrage is actually a pretty essential card. It really isn't that bad in this set, where the only real ways your opponent can get rid of it are if they play Jericho (which is rare), or if the they run Sever Ties (which is also rare). However, I do feel Sever Ties might be more popular once the expansion comes out, as Priests especially are looking to have plenty of new attachments. For right now though, you are rather unlikely to be killed by someone using Sever Ties on your Enrage.
    "IT'S TIME TO DUEL!!!"
    "The Magnificent."
    Account for any future SC transfers by Gondorian: BP tman507

Member of PFG3
    Master of Hand-to-hand Combat
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Official Shadow Era Wiki Moderator

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Shield bash is bad for amber and Boris, but essential to Logan and ter adun
    Elder TJ

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    I bet this thread grows to at least 5 pages, it has overpowered in title!

But not enough drama, 5/10.
    Scrupulous Ash Collector of the Blue Phoenix.
    Warriors of the Blue Phoenix

Greatness, Reborn

Shadow Era Network - Shadow Era community hub.

Quote Originally Posted by BDK16 View Post
    You're the best Unruler!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Bhleg View Post
    No one know FS better than you, our King of FS.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I have actually been hit with a pretty devastating Ice Storm twice in the past 24 hours. So it does seem that most priests at least carry it. Is it so hard to play as a priest though that we feel the need to give them two cards that can clear many allies? (Tidal Wave, Ice Storm)

As for Sever Ties, I play Boris and I carry it, simply because I have seen the game winning effects in can have on a warrior who is using Enrage.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    and like I said, I play very heavily with my allies, so normally I do use 5cc and 6cc. Nothing I love more than say an Armored Worm with Warrior Training and Reinforced Armor.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by minscandboo View Post
    I am a relatively new player, . . . I would consider myself average at the game. I was once ranked 140 before i stopped.
    Problem 1: if 140 is the highest rating you have achieved, then you are a below average player (nothing wrong with that, since you are new, but you are still fairly low ranked).

Quote Originally Posted by minscandboo View Post
    I have actually been hit with a pretty devastating Ice Storm twice in the past 24 hours. So it does seem that most priests at least carry it. Is it so hard to play as a priest though that we feel the need to give them two cards that can clear many allies? (Tidal Wave, Ice Storm)

As for Sever Ties, I play Boris and I carry it, simply because I have seen the game winning effects in can have on a warrior who is using Enrage.
    And the low rating is why you have seen Ice Storm when none of the other posters have. While it does damage to all opposing allies, it does so little damage that it usually isn't played at the higher levels, mainly because allies are have a longer lasting effect (and most have significantly more than 2 health). Not to mention, at the higher levels, Ice Storm would only hit 3 or 4 targets because all the players know better than to play all their allies against a Priest who will Tidal Wave everything.
    Congratulations to Preybird for designing my Avatar!

In Game Handle: Warr Byrd

Contributions to the Game:
    Flavor text for Wild Berserker: The odds are always in my favor
    PFG3: To Be Released Soon™

Tournament Wins: None, I'm Timmy Johnny not Spike!

Shout out to Gondorian, nerull7, Nikola D, plo, Preybird, Super Grover, and Zhou86 for submitting potential avatars!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Dont hate on Ice Storm. I use it all the time in Meltdown when I am playing Banebow.