Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

How much is surprise worth in Shadow Era?

My question is basically how much is keeping your opponent in the dark worth? The most simple example is with Zaladar. You used your ability and have 0-2 SE left with a Shadow Font in your hand and nothing else to play should you play it so that you will not need to next turn or hold on to it in order that your opponent will not know you can use your ability next turn? Another example would be using a strange build so that your opponent won't know your strategy and will sac the wrong cards.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Keep in your hand as they may think its a mind control or some thing.

Empty Hand Empty Threats (i read that some were in these forums)
    IGN: Nataku Wolf

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    A good player will make plays as if you have the cards to counter him anyway. There is no such thing as surprise to a good player unless you have no cards in your hands. Which will provide the illusion of "there is no chance of him drawing that one card."

As far as the example provided. Using a shadow font when you can not use nothing else is definitely more beneficial than keeping your opponent guessing. Unless its your last card.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Worth a lot of course! I get beaten by stupid decks just because i sac'ed all the cards i would have needed, haha, and your example about Zaladar is good, but there's plenty, i can't even remember 5% of them, few in minds: Zaladar vs Gwen, Gwen is going to win next turn, but.. You kept 3 Bad Santa in hand you're nearly milled she is milled, cast the 3 bad Santa you kept from several draw ago and win, ... You want to cast Dagger of Unmaking to get rid of a medusil, you know your opponent stole a Plasma Behemot, next turn he summon it, you cast DoU and take bak your PB... In v1.24, Elementalis steal you a Eternal Renewal, you cast the two others you have and mill him, ....
    "Rastas don't believe in violence... Rastas don't believe... Rastas know." -Bob Marley-

Winner of the Multi-Post Streak Challenge
    *’”⁷ᵔᵕᵔ∞*°゜゚⁰ᵒ☉●•⋆.ᵢᵢᵢ₇.。・°'¨⋋ⓚⓔⓝⓣⓤⓔⓠⓤⓘ⋌¨'°・。.₇₇₇.⋆•●☉ᵒ⁰゜゚°*∞ᵔᵕᵔ⁷‘“*
    ⊰☠ ℑcℯ ℰℒℱ ☠⊱

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I'm just gonna leave this here...

http://boweh.blogspot.com/2012/11/sh...uff-stuff.html
    MistahBoweh - Paragon of Paragons
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

My Strategy Site: The Boweh
    Latest Article: USED: MistahBoweh VS SamuelJ

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by HigherPrimate View Post
    A good player will make plays as if you have the cards to counter him anyway. There is no such thing as surprise to a good player unless you have no cards in your hands. Which will provide the illusion of "there is no chance of him drawing that one card."

As far as the example provided. Using a shadow font when you can not use nothing else is definitely more beneficial than keeping your opponent guessing. Unless its your last card.
    A good player takes guesses at what their opponent can do yes and will be sure not to destroy him/herself by taking note of the largest threats they can play but ultimately they do not know their opponent's hand and as they cannot sit around and do nothing guesswork based on the meta, how many cards you have in your hand and what you already played is the best they can do. Energy Discharge can often throw even a good opponent off for example because it is not very used and they are worried about Mind Control so they are going to avoid trying to control the board with a single fatty.

Quote Originally Posted by Nataku View Post
    Keep in your hand as they may think its a mind control or some thing.

Empty Hand Empty Threats (i read that some were in these forums)
    I've done that with a late game Brutalis many times I'm never sure how well it works.

Quote Originally Posted by kentuequi View Post
    Worth a lot of course! I get beaten by stupid decks just because i sac'ed all the cards i would have needed, haha, and your example about Zaladar is good, but there's plenty, i can't even remember 5% of them, few in minds: Zaladar vs Gwen, Gwen is going to win next turn, but.. You kept 3 Bad Santa in hand you're nearly milled she is milled, cast the 3 bad Santa you kept from several draw ago and win, ... You want to cast Dagger of Unmaking to get rid of a medusil, you know your opponent stole a Plasma Behemot, next turn he summon it, you cast DoU and take bak your PB... In v1.24, Elementalis steal you a Eternal Renewal, you cast the two others you have and mill him, ....
    Thanks for the more examples the Bad Santa one was somewhat amusing. As far as decks most annoying for me are often the wulven solo mimic decks. I sac my board control cards only to find out at something like turn 6 they are not quite solo after all and now they have lots of really hard to answer fatties on the board.
    Last edited by qaz92zaq; 01-14-2013 at 08:24 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    ive been playing hunter theses days and using a lot of Tracking Gear. So much i cant play without it anymore. Knowing the opponent hand seems so powerful to me.....

Same with Reconnaissance...

Its kind of addictive.
    IGN: LDL kuhuru GMT -3h

Representante do Brasil no Street Fighter World Warrior Tournament

Member of: {LDL} "LEGION DE DRAGONES LATINOS"
    "Con la fuerza de un dragon, venceremos"

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Clearly I am, to some extent, wrong in what I said, but I am also too lazy to write a wall of text about it, and correct my point of view.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    if someone yelled: surprise butt secks, it's worth a lot.
    Want to Join A1?

A1: Evolution in Theory. To stop evolving is to die.

It is one of my greatest hopes that in the future, mankind achieves enlightenment so high we would not need rules, laws, or government to keep the peace and govern ourselves. By our own motivation and volition, we would do what is right and just because it is right and just. This is the central tenet of anarchy. Not chaos and lawlessness, but free will and self-actualization.

Visit my blog: Potpourri