Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Stall for Success

After having created and tested several decks I have found that I win more often by using decks that spend the early game buffing up for the late game. Because of the large amount of character life it is very difficult to win in under 7 or 8 turns. I recently built a priest deck with the intention of stalling out my opponent till they decked out and it worked fairly well. I've also been playing lone wolf Darkclaw and I have a very good win ratio with it.

I think with so many people playing mages it is easy to win if you can last until the late game. I have found that after the initial bombardment of spells most mage decks slow down a lot. This holds true for several other popular deck types such as the weapon focused deck using Gwenneth Truesight.

I think to many people are approaching this game by trying out how to win the fastest. There are certainly some decks that are very fast and powerful but they usually aren't very consistent. I think the focus of players should shift from a quick win to consistently winning.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Sometimes stall is effective, but your opponent will hate you.
    Scrupulous Ash Collector of the Blue Phoenix.
    Warriors of the Blue Phoenix

Greatness, Reborn

Shadow Era Network - Shadow Era community hub.

Quote Originally Posted by BDK16 View Post
    You're the best Unruler!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Bhleg View Post
    No one know FS better than you, our King of FS.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    There is quick AND consistent.
    I made pumpkins! Firesnake and Plasma Behemoth.
    I daydream about cards too.

My 1.5 Moonstalker deck.

Nizaris - The Characterless Character
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

You can read about us OR join us!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I think the focus in the game is winnng, and if winning means going fastest, then that is what people will do.
    The bitterest truth is always better than the sweetest lie.
    If you are reading this, congratulations, you survived the end of the world.

In Game Name: PPUOD Pretty Pretty Unicorn Of Death

Member of Shadow Era Network, Shadow Era Community Hub,Join Today!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I've just been playing stall for a while and my win ratio is pretty good so it made me start thinking about it. Also I do realize there are decks that are quick and consistent but they still have trouble against stall. I just think that with there game being flooded with so many mage users, which are weak to stall, that stall seems to be very effective.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I'd say most decks have medium speed with some leaning towards fast (say Amber rush) and some towards slow (such as Lance).

Still, IMO the best decks of the format are both the fastest (Eladwen super rush) and the slowest (Millstalker).
    FDL TV!

Channel | Thread | Twitter
    Deck Techs, Game Commentary, Replay Analysis and more!

FDL Tips: The Metagame, Balance and You || Empty Hands
    LL Decklists: Serena || Elementalis

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Stalling is boring like hell.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    You win vs mage by stalling? How strange, you must play vs newbies cause right now my Majiya is undefeated by stalling decks, i just wait to have over 10 ressources and burn the opponents hero in two turns.. So easy, even boring.
    "Rastas don't believe in violence... Rastas don't believe... Rastas know." -Bob Marley-

Winner of the Multi-Post Streak Challenge
    *’”⁷ᵔᵕᵔ∞*°゜゚⁰ᵒ☉●•⋆.ᵢᵢᵢ₇.。・°'¨⋋ⓚⓔⓝⓣⓤⓔⓠⓤⓘ⋌¨'°・。.₇₇₇.⋆•●☉ᵒ⁰゜゚°*∞ᵔᵕᵔ⁷‘“*
    ⊰☠ ℑcℯ ℰℒℱ ☠⊱

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Well Majiya can't do much vs Darkclaw Lone Wolf because there are no allies on the field so she her shadow ability is useless. Also Regenerate removes burn and poison and Lone Wolf heals pretty fast. I've played vs Amber speed decks and I haven't lost yet. The only matches I usually lose are against Hero's like Gravebone because he drops fatties over and over, and Zhanna Mist because I pulled no teeth and they got King's Pride out. However, millstalker is a pain to play against because it's also a slow deck and I really don't get an advantage in the late game.

I haven't been matched up against a good Lance deck yet so I don't know how well I would play against him. I also haven't been matched up against a Boris deck but considering I don't have any allies in my deck I don't think he would be horribly problematic.

I think part of the reason I win so often against mages is because Gravebone is the only mage hero that can even use his ability against a lone wolf deck. All other mage abilities target allies and there aren't any in my deck. Also I've never had a mage take me below 10 health (excluding GB) even when lobbing out spell after spell. The regen given by lone wolf if I get it out on turn 4 or 5 is just too much for most mages to cut through unless they use allies.

I am still playing at the low 200 level so I expect that once I get a bit higher I will play against better players. All I know is that at my current play level I win more than I lose with stall.

*edit
    I also haven't played against a portal deck so I have no idea how that would go.
    Last edited by AdDeusMachina; 01-14-2013 at 03:39 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by AdDeusMachina View Post
    I haven't been matched up against a good Lance deck yet so I don't know how well I would play against him.
    Any good Rogue player doesn't have any problem against solo DC, or at least i never have any problems at all with DC. Stop Thief will take care of your weapons and you can't kill an Aeon fast enough with What Big Teeth to stop other allies from piling up behind him, get an Earthen Protector behind him (which i run) and there's not much you can do.

Still, glad to see someone kicking some mage butt