Close

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    1.27 Tournament Champion Raphael Majere's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Raphael Majere's "Brutal Portal" Deck (WC Top 8)

Firstly, major props to iClipse who beat me in Rd 3 of WC finals! His Zhanna is top-notched. He is official the "Slayer of RaphM". I think we've met in a few official Bo3 and I've never beaten him.

Someone better do a video series on Game 1 and Game 2 that I (Raphael Majere3) played with iClipse! Game 1 shows perfectly how Zhanna should be played vs Mages. Game 2 shows how the mage can adjust and win vs Zhanna. Many key lessons there. Better watch those games now; before iClipse and I play so many games that those games gets wiped off the records.

(Notes: this deck is designed for WC, not for QM. For beginners, or players interested to play Portal Maj in QM, I will post my deck at the bottom of this post.)

Major THANKS to my Portal Maj teacher, Oblio91, my guild brother, he basically gave the deck to me and taught me a lot that I didn't know; despite being 'supposedly' an expert at Maj.

Ok, onto my deck,

Majiya x1

Gargoyle x 4
    Death Mage x 4
    Shadow Knight x 4
    Brutal Minotaur x 2
    Fireball x 4
    Lightning Strike x 4
    tome x 3
    Portal x 4
    Shriek of Vengeance x 3
    Acid Jet x 2
    Lamb x 3
    nova x 2

40 cards

Shocking facts:

• No brut.
    • No LLN.
    • Only 3 Tome?!

Explanations (for the intermediate/advanced player)

1. No bruts. They cannot injure gargs and if I cast them late in the game, they might mess up the graveyard order. The key win con combo in this deck is the SK recycler combo (Credits to Blanketeffect for this), and I do NOT want to recycle a silly brut. I want SK to bring back SK or a BM.

2. Why jet over LLN? It cost less, I dont need the draw and more importantly, jet takes out JD, woft, and wiz staff. Enough said.

3. To play my deck well, you need to learn how to play deathrace Maj first. I was placed second in first ever 1.5 Test Server tourney with the "Deathracer Maj". The deck list is here: http://www.shadowera.com/showthread....l=1#post164151

Deck list:

• The Gang of 4 x 4: Brut, Garg, Bad Wulf, DMT.
    • The Burn: FB. LS, Nova "the 12 Burn"
    • The Draw x 4: Sac Lamb, Research (Research is not good, change it to BS, see below)
    • Tech: 3 LLN. (specficially for Spelleater bands)

PS: I re-made this deck; removed the Tome and added 4 BS to make the deck even faster. I played it in Swiss Rds of WC. This deck is still good. Very fast. Very fun to play too.

Long story made shorter: you need to learn how to play deathrace maj cos in this Brutal Portal deck, you can switch to deathrace mode. Like how I did in game 2 vs iClipse and managed to win that.

4. Why 3 Tome and 3 Sac lamb?

As oblio told me, sometimes the tome gets destroyed even before it gets used. Plus, when 1 tome is in play, drawing another one is useless. Sac lamb is crucial for deathracing. attack with ally, then sac it. or sac lamb a crippled/frozen/nulled ally. Draw 3.

5. Key combo of this deck

The infinite Recycle combo of SKs. Watch the games of winners of WC Wildcards 1 and 2. Greymouser and AA1 Larus. They play it beautifully. It does not matter if your opponent has a SS bow or Anklebreaker. Those weapons have a dura. Infinite combo does have not a dura.

Also: If your opponent does Retreating on SK or DMT, it causes even more hurt later.

Lastly, if anyone wants to try this in QM, I would suggest the following:

Majiya x1

Gargoyle x 4
    Death Mage x 4
    Shadow Knight x 4
    Brutal Minotaur x 3
    Fireball x 4
    Lightning Strike x 4
    tome x 4
    Portal x 4
    Shriek of Vengeance x 2
    LLN x 2
    Lamb x 2
    nova x 1
    DoU x 1

Play with it, then tuned it according to your preferences.

PS: Why so many "1" and "2"? well, if you like DoU and hate nova since Nova is killing your own allies, then - 1 nova, + 1 DoU. Vice versa, if you like the burn, remove the DoU, etc. The model is made so that you can play and see for yourself what's good and bad. 3 BMs, so that you can see for yourself how the Portalled BM is a nasty nasty pain-in-the-ass for your opponent; when you get more pro; drop to 2 BM. 2 Shrieks cos in QM, the opponents are not as tough as the WC finalist guys. Blah, blah, you get the idea. Play and adjust the deck accordingly to your needs/ratings.
    Last edited by Raphael Majere; 06-16-2012 at 09:52 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I was wondering... has iclipse knocked you out of a previous tournament? If yes he can become your arch nemesis! All in fun of course.

I do have a question... I only watched the last 2 games, but both times you decided not to kill oracle... was it to prevent draw or was it because your tactic was to go all out on the hero ignoring allies?
    SHADOW ERA, ETC
    Enjoy Trading Card-games

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Those games can also be found somewhere in the backlogs at twitch.tv/shadoweratv
    MistahBoweh - Paragon of Paragons
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

My Strategy Site: The Boweh
    Latest Article: USED: MistahBoweh VS SamuelJ

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Helio View Post
    I was wondering... has iclipse knocked you out of a previous tournament? If yes he can become your arch nemesis! All in fun of course.

I do have a question... I only watched the last 2 games, but both times you decided not to kill oracle... was it to prevent draw or was it because your tactic was to go all out on the hero ignoring allies?
    Yeah, I am sure iClipse beat me at least twice. In yellow league, season 2, he was champ. I was 3rd place due to a single loss to him. And I think I lost to him in one of the early Crown Tourneys.

Likewise, I am sure Sisyphos hates me as much as I hate iClipse! J/k.

Regarding your question, yes, you saw how I won game 2 and I was trying to replicate the formula for game 3. Essentially, a deathrace method, straight for throat.
    Last edited by Raphael Majere; 06-16-2012 at 09:46 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Bump, I think the OP is done.

Many of you, new players or senior ones, might have questions/queries about my build, please ask away. Or tell me why my card choices are crap. lol. this thread is mostly for the intermediate/advanced players.

I am writing an article for new players though!

Called the "Ultimate Guide to enjoying Shadow Era!"

Wait for it!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thanks for the special mention Raphael! Really great games!

Anyway, this is a really great deck for veterans and beginners. Consistent draw, consistent item destruction, consistent pressure. How a deck should be!
    iClipse - A1's Twilight Manipulator - A1 : Evolution in Theory
    Part of PFG

• My psychiatrist told me I was crazy and I said I want a second opinion. He said okay, you're ugly too.

• Just remember...if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.

• With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.

• I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not sure.

• A diplomat is someone who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you will look forward to the trip.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    hey, bud, I just remembered!

You took me out too, your logan beat my lance in one of the 1.5 test server tourney!

Do you have a voodoo doll of me at your house?!?! C'mon, tell me!

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for sharing this deck, Raphael, and the great write-up, as ever.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Your tourney deck seems rather susceptible in the early-game to early human rushes. I understand you have burn and Maj's ability, but the SK combo seems to rely on your deck surviving to late-game, which it might not, to some of the more prominent death-racers.
    Fire Snakes are high in Vitamin D.

Account for Gondorian to put crystalz into: Reshiram99

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Wow Ralph, I must first say what a class act you are. Last night I played in the last wildcard and was using my edition of portal and of which is no where near the type of dominating type of deck ad yours is an I had played a lance. I had won game 1 nicely doing brutal and SK combo, the next 2 games, well I was screwed over cause I had a tome destroyed and the turn before I used tome and guess what.....got another tome. I always had thought that this was a real draw back to the deck, anyway after I loss I was just so pissed at the way I played first but then because of the unlucky nature in which I lost. Posting your deck after you lost is really cool and I think I speak for everyone that we appreiate your explanations and quirks of the deck and we thank you.

P.S Anyone interested but I take a journalism class and my final project is coming up with a commentary plus a recap of either a real sports event or past events. I'm able to use shadow era and my first blog will be the match ralph vs iclipse played and would really appreiate it if people read it and give me what thier likes and dis likes of the recap and commentary.
    Thanks again Ralph!
    Tournament & League Wins Achivements
    Semi-Finalist AA1 Duel Tournament.

Current Quick Match Rating= 261.(39 away from 300)

8 Time Tier 2 Meltdown Finishes.

"I have become death, Destroyer of Worlds"
    -Robert Oppenhiemer.

PROUD FOUNDER OF KINGS 4 HIRE

KINGS 4 HIRE- "Hire a warrior; gain a sword. Hire a king; gain an army."