Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Any way to adjust the framerate cap?

Repost from here, since I've not gotten any answers yet.
    ---

So, I'm back a year later after my last time playing the game and I discovered there's a downloadable client to run which as a blessing has an adjustable resolution (browser was so small it was causing me eye strain) and normal quality music.

Well, the client is great and all, but it runs at 30FPS.

As far as I'm aware, this is a PC only release client and won't run on other devices.

Why is the framerate limited to 30?

I saw in this update they had accidentally removed the framerate cap, then limited it to something "more reasonable". 30 FPS isn't actually reasonable, especially when 120FPS is fast becoming the norm (at least, on PC games where developers actually care about people's experience, what with 120+Hz monitors and all).

Is there any way to adjust the framerate cap manually without access to the source code?

Even though it's a card game, 30 FPS is fairly terrible for anything with animations, which this game has. Even the Pokemon TCG runs at 60FPS (actually forces vsync on, can potentially go higher, but I've not gotten a 120Hz monitor yet because the market insists to push the terrible 16:9 aspect ratio on PC users when it's made for TVs), which was previously a browser game (that also ran at 60FPS, although it did slow down due to the nature of it, either due to poor optimization or flash, assuming the latter).

I do have issues with the game aside from this (lack of sounds, upscaled UI, poor filtering (which was added 10 months after I first tried the game, ugh), etc.), but it's just yet another issue compounding with the rest that is detracting from the experience for me, which is why I quit playing in the first place. Would really up the playability if the framerate cap could be increased to 60. (If I have to reference the Dark Souls controversy, I will!)
    Last edited by DAOWAce; 01-22-2013 at 02:58 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Also add anti-aliasing option those card's edges are uuuuuugly.

Add HD texture quality so I could play that on plasma panel as well as joystick support so I don't have to get from the couch.

And add actual fire to firesnake why is he claws the enemy if he has FIRE?
    Scrupulous Ash Collector of the Blue Phoenix.
    Warriors of the Blue Phoenix

Greatness, Reborn

Shadow Era Network - Shadow Era community hub.

Quote Originally Posted by BDK16 View Post
    You're the best Unruler!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Bhleg View Post
    No one know FS better than you, our King of FS.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I'm confused by your post. This isn't a fast moving game that requires a high FPS. I used to play Quake and similar games where ping and FPS where a big deal in order to have success. For SE 30FPS or 15 doesn't matter. I really don't see what you are complaining about. So the sword animation might not be as smooth as possible... who cares...
    SHADOW ERA, ETC
    Enjoy Trading Card-games

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Helio View Post
    I'm confused by your post. This isn't a fast moving game that requires a high FPS. I used to play Quake and similar games where ping and FPS where a big deal in order to have success. For SE 30FPS or 15 doesn't matter. I really don't see what you are complaining about. So the sword animation might not be as smooth as possible... who cares...
    Once its there, it doesnt hurt to hope for the best. If the devs cant/wont do it, it doesnt matter; some people will care about them looking beautiful, fast and smooth, and they will ask for it. No problem with that IMO.

Anyways, i feel like most anymations look great, specially Smite and Soul Seeker (and other bows), while some look poor. And now OP got me wondering about fire snake using a sword, hehe. Its just details, but details are what separate good from awesome.
    IGN: LDL kuhuru GMT -3h

Representante do Brasil no Street Fighter World Warrior Tournament

Member of: {LDL} "LEGION DE DRAGONES LATINOS"
    "Con la fuerza de un dragon, venceremos"

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Helio View Post
    15 would be borderline unplayable, if not actually unplayable.

Try out one of the Magic the Gathering games and the Pokemon Online TCG; they both run at at least 60FPS, resulting in everything looking so smooth and enhancing the feel of the game.

Shadow Era just feels very lacking compared to those other TCGs. Lack of sounds, poor framerate, poor animations..etc; feels bare-bones, like a beta product (especially the UI and control method).

I know they can do better, but it's just a matter of if they want to. The focus to me appears to be the browser client, which if so, will result in the game pretty much never improving, even though other browser based TCGs can do it better (Pokemon TCG before it became a client).

Regardless, this simple request is nothing more than changing 30 to 60 in their source code. Like I said, they accidentally removed the framerate limiter during one of the patches; they can change the value in 2 seconds. This is what I am asking for (or a way to do it myself). Very simple, and with a great end result.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Well, TV operates at 29.97 fps (NTSC) or 25 fps (PAL). I mean, 60 fps isn't required. Here's a quote from Wikipedia:

The human eye and its brain interface, the human visual system, can process 10 to 12 separate images per second, perceiving them individually
    Unsure if you're aware, but most animations are filmed at 15 fps. This includes big budget ones like The Simpsons. Even those broadcasts which claim higher framerates (like a 72 fps example on that wiki page) are actually the same image being flashed three times. So the number of discrete images is still only 24 per second.

No one needs 60 fps to have a smooth animation, your brain doesn't need it, nor can it accurately discern it. Many big budget games are frame rate locked to prevent you from peaking and troughing your framerate too much (which makes it more noticeable). Halo 3 was an example of this.
    Extra Tough Claws - Proud Member of ETC

Articles | Decklist | Fan Fiction

Shadow Era Art Thread | PB @ DeviantArt

PFG Member | I've been interviewed!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Preybird View Post
    Well, TV operates at 29.97 fps (NTSC) or 25 fps (PAL). I mean, 60 fps isn't required. Here's a quote from Wikipedia:

Unsure if you're aware, but most animations are filmed at 15 fps. This includes big budget ones like The Simpsons. Even those broadcasts which claim higher framerates (like a 72 fps example on that wiki page) are actually the same image being flashed three times. So the number of discrete images is still only 24 per second.

No one needs 60 fps to have a smooth animation, your brain doesn't need it, nor can it accurately discern it. Many big budget games are frame rate locked to prevent you from peaking and troughing your framerate too much (which makes it more noticeable). Halo 3 was an example of this.
    In games this is noticeable as it affects the feel of movement and smoothness in the game. This is usually prevalent in FPS though, so idk what it has to do with turn based card game.

Pro CS players play on 120 fps btw, why do you think?

And in console games like Halo framerate is locked to prevent performance decrease due to hardware limitation of current console generation.
    Scrupulous Ash Collector of the Blue Phoenix.
    Warriors of the Blue Phoenix

Greatness, Reborn

Shadow Era Network - Shadow Era community hub.

Quote Originally Posted by BDK16 View Post
    You're the best Unruler!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Bhleg View Post
    No one know FS better than you, our King of FS.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    @Mod: Feel free to delete the post in the moderation queue; it's unneeded now.

Quote Originally Posted by Preybird View Post
    snip
    Oh god, not this ignorant tripe again.

THE HUMAN EYE DOESN'T SEE IN FPS.

Rather than go on a rant that there's still people who correlate FPS and the human eye, I'll just link to two things.

The best explanation of 'human eye vs FPS': http://www.100fps.com/how_many_frame...humans_see.htm

A concrete example to prove this nonsense wrong: http://boallen.com/fps-compare.html

Also, somewhat related, here's a video showing 60Hz vs 120Hz recognition; you know 60 vs 120 FPS. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2IF9ZPwgDM

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Look, I don't think anyone actually wants to deny you of your 60frames in this game. I personally wouldn't care at all. I've played many games at 15fps all the way up to 60+. I can tell the difference, but there is a huge difference between what is playable and what isn't. Its all down to personal preference and what I call the "PC Elitism" in a PC gamer claims. I too am a PC gamer, I understand what your talking about, but it just isn't a problem here but you make it sound like one:

The issue here is your reasons for wanting it aren't really rooted for this game. This isn't some high end action game with amazing graphics and precision controls. Due to this, high amounts for frame rates aren't necessary for the game. However, you say they are necessary as they make the game unplayable when it simply isn't true. Your whole remark towards that is why your main request appears to be ignored.

Unless removing the frame rate cap on the game harms its cross-platform capabilities or ability to run properly, I see no reason why it cannot be increased.

Like I said, the main thing that is catching people's eye is the fact that you're bringing forth all this "evidence" when it isn't necessary to convey your request. The current frames per second of this game is not a problem, however you wish for them to increase it to improve the quality of the game on clients that can run it. Saying simply that and asking your question should be enough. You bring forth this other information if your request is denied for a reason that simply does not exist (if that were the case).

So to answer your question. It's up to the developers. There is no safe way currently to change the fps cap.
    Last edited by Demnchi; 01-27-2013 at 03:31 AM.
    Was the Leader of Acolytes of A1

A1's Dimensional Eyes in the Sky
    A1 Alliance: Evolution in Theory
    PFG3 Leader

Was Shadow Era Community Manager

Sota, The Switch Axe Monster Hunter

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
    "Humans fight to secure peace as they envision it. The trouble is, everyone's vision is different." - Ringabel

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Capping the framerate is usually only made on consoles to save on processing power. The consoles just cannot render 720p at more than 30 FPS without doing some SERIOUS cut backs on visual quality.

For PC? There's really no excuse ever to lock the frame-rate at all, unless your game has some odd connection between game logic and what is happening on the screen, which is usually bad coding overall.

I can guess that in the case of Shadow Era, it's to maintain one client across all platforms.