Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

World Beyond - The Warlock's Grimoire

20 Card Shadow Expansion

New Class: Warlock
    New Ally Type: Demon

The Warlock's style of combat focuses on card removal to interrupt the opponent's graveyard combinations while using demonic allies to control the board and elusive health manipulation to stay alive. The Warlock Class was designed to be fun and competitive while focusing on a new strategy of play.

Since this is only a Shadow Expansion, it would need to be balanced by a 20 card Human Expansion which also introduces a new class and ally type and has balanced rarity. World Beyond Booster Packs would include 1 Hero, 4 Common, 2 Uncommon, and 1 Rare or Epic and would cost 50 Shadow Crystals.

Warlock Heroes

Since it does not specify, you would round up due to mathematical standards.

Warlock Allies and Abilities

Rarities (The Class Standard): 8 Common, 2 Uncommon

All artwork from deviantart.com.
    Last edited by Flynn; 01-13-2013 at 05:52 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Shadow Allies

Rarities: 2 Common, 2 Uncommon, 1 Rare, 1 Epic

Notice Felgate Guardian is not unique.

Weapons and Armour

Rarities: 2 Rare

This weapon is Anti-Elementals and works well for mages with the new Shatter Ice ability.

All artwork from deviantart.com.

Basic Warlock Decks and Strategies

Lilith Control Deck

Hero: (1)
    Lilith the Bespoken

Allies: (17)
    2x Lesser Imp
    4x Vengeful Mutation
    4x Felguard
    4x Succubus
    3x Felgate Guardian

Abilities: (16)
    4x Ritual of Summoning
    3x Possessing Spirit
    2x Felsoul
    3x Curse of the Damned
    4x Grimoire of Unmaking

Weapons and Armour: (6)
    3x Scepter of Attunement
    3x Demonskin

Total: 40 Cards

Turn Strategy

T1: Nothing (Lesser Imp is mid/endgame)
    T2: Grimoire of Unmaking, Vengeful Mutation
    T3: Ritual of Summoning, Vengeful Mutation + Grimoire Ability
    T4: Felguard, Demonskin (if no Ritual of Summoning)
    T5: Succubus, Bloodthirsty Familiar + Lesser Imp + Lesser Imp Ability, Scepter of Unmaking (if no Ritual of Summoning)
    T6: Felgate Guardian, Possessing Spirit
    T7: Scepter of Unmaking + Grimoire Ability
    T8: Demonskin + Felsoul

Combos

1. Ally Renewal
    (T6+) Scepter of Unmaking + Grimoire Ability

2. Burst Heal
    (T8+) Curse of the Damned (on highest health opposing ally) + Possessing Spirit (on same ally) + Grimoire Ability (on same ally)
    Result: 7-9 health restored + opposing ally is in your deck

3. Steal Ally
    (T5+) Scepter of Unmaking (while Demonskin is on) + attack opposing ally
    Result: They go straight to your deck without you even losing durability

Kraven Mill Deck

Hero: (1)
    Kraven Netherbane

Allies: (8)
    4x Vengefull Mutation
    4x Felgate Guardian

Abilities: (26)
    4x Evil Ascendant
    4x Grimoire of Unmaking
    2x Curse of the Damned
    3x Felbat Swarm
    3x Weakend Will
    3x Felsoul
    3x Burning Soul
    4x Possessing Spirit

Weapons and Armour: (8)
    4x Scepter of Attunement
    4x Demonskin

Total: 43

Turn Strategy

T1: Nothing
    T2: Grimoire of Unmaking, Vengeful Mutation
    T3: Evil Ascendant, Burning Soul
    T4: Felsoul, Burning Soul, Demonskin (if getting rushed)
    T5: Scepter of Attunement
    T6: Possessing Spirit

Combos

1. Ally Renewal
    (T6+) Scepter of Unmaking + Grimoire Ability

2. Burst Heal
    (T8+) Curse of the Damned (on highest health opposing ally) + Possessing Spirit (on same ally) + Grimoire Ability (on same ally)
    Result: 7-9 health restored + opposing ally is in your deck

3. Steal Ally
    (T5+) Scepter of Unmaking (while Demonskin is on) + attack opposing ally
    Result: Opposing ally is shuffled into your deck

4. Erode Defensive Allies
    (T4+) Weakened Will on Gargoyle, Sandworm, Kurt while Evil Ascendant is in play

5. Quick Heal and Cards
    (T4+) Vengeful Mutation + Kraven's Ability (on VM) + Attack (with VM, now has 3 attack) + Grimoire's Ability (while Felsoul is in play)
    Result: 2 instant damage, 1 health recovered from VM's attack, 1 health recovered and 2 cards drawn from sacrificing VM
    Last edited by Flynn; 01-14-2013 at 07:55 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    T-up

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    These are really very good cards. I like that they aren't obviously very powerful in themselves (no one card appears capable of single-handedly winning you the game, at first glance), but rather, promise a lot of synergy and strategic thinking with your other cards. They add an extra layer of strategy to the game, without bogging it down with complexity (which is always a tough balancing act).

Kraven - Is this a continuous ability? Seems pretty decent, if a bit slow, given the massive amount of creature removal in the current format (hence why elementalis is so weak). I suppose in a pinch, you can use it on an opposing ally to effectively halve its power, which makes it slightly more versatile.

Lilith - Generally, I don't like random effects which I can't really control.

Grimoire - Great anti-graveyard card vs gravebone, reserve weapon and eternal renewal. On-demand sacrificial lamb seems to make this card almost too strong at first glance. However, Shadow Era does a pretty good job of neutering abusive card combinations via its hero card system.

Felbat swarm - I didn't use arcane burst as it was too situational. I like how you combine damage and utility into a card which remains useful regardless of how many or how powerful whatever allies are on the board.

Weakened will - too situational, not sure if anyone will devote card slots to it.

Burning soul - a nice engulfing flames variant, though I am not sure I like the "Don't deal damage" bit. If you can't, you are almost likely behind, and so will lose the game anyways.

Lesser imp - this seems almost way too strong, being able to constantly dismiss cards like tome of knowledge, bazaar and evil ascendent, as well as continuously recycle weapons, rain delay, and your ritual of summoning. I would personally make it a 187 effect (i.e.: a one time effect which activates when the imp comes into play from your hand) and maybe increase its cost to 3.

Possessing spirit - stealing control of cards is always fun, I think its high casting cost keeps it from becoming too strong, like mind control.

Ritual of Summoning - Nice portal variant that can potentially affect both heroes, though the small demon ally pool seems to limit its potential a fair bit.

That's it for now. I will take a closer look at your allies later, but really, you have outdone yourself this time round. Keep it up.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by abazigal View Post
    These are really very good cards. I like that they aren't obviously very powerful in themselves (no one card appears capable of single-handedly winning you the game, at first glance), but rather, promise a lot of synergy and strategic thinking with your other cards. They add an extra layer of strategy to the game, without bogging it down with complexity (which is always a tough balancing act).

Kraven - Is this a continuous ability? Seems pretty decent, if a bit slow, given the massive amount of creature removal in the current format (hence why elementalis is so weak). I suppose in a pinch, you can use it on an opposing ally to effectively halve its power, which makes it slightly more versatile.

Lilith - Generally, I don't like random effects which I can't really control.

Grimoire - Great anti-graveyard card vs gravebone, reserve weapon and eternal renewal. On-demand sacrificial lamb seems to make this card almost too strong at first glance. However, Shadow Era does a pretty good job of neutering abusive card combinations via its hero card system.

Felbat swarm - I didn't use arcane burst as it was too situational. I like how you combine damage and utility into a card which remains useful regardless of how many or how powerful whatever allies are on the board.

Weakened will - too situational, not sure if anyone will devote card slots to it.

Burning soul - a nice engulfing flames variant, though I am not sure I like the "Don't deal damage" bit. If you can't, you are almost likely behind, and so will lose the game anyways.

Lesser imp - this seems almost way too strong, being able to constantly dismiss cards like tome of knowledge, bazaar and evil ascendent, as well as continuously recycle weapons, rain delay, and your ritual of summoning. I would personally make it a 187 effect (i.e.: a one time effect which activates when the imp comes into play from your hand) and maybe increase its cost to 3.

Possessing spirit - stealing control of cards is always fun, I think its high casting cost keeps it from becoming too strong, like mind control.

Ritual of Summoning - Nice portal variant that can potentially affect both heroes, though the small demon ally pool seems to limit its potential a fair bit.

That's it for now. I will take a closer look at your allies later, but really, you have outdone yourself this time round. Keep it up.

Hey Abazigal, thanks for your valuable input on my cards! I've spent a long time tuning this card set to make it well balanced.

Heroes: Kraven and Lilith were meant to be interesting but more a Tier 1.5/2 sort of strength due to the strength of their cards. Kraven's ability is continuous (perhaps I need to word it differently?) and it's slightly more versatile than the Elementalis ability because it can work on opposing allies and is a defensive heal buff/debuff, but yeah, he's no Tier 1 hero. Lilith, in my mind, may be overpowered because of her ability to stop attacks for a controllable amount of turns. She could essentially stop a Lone Wolf deck from attacking until the moment she's built up enough allies to take it out in one hit. I was trying to figure out if this was too unfair but I figured that it's fair because the moment you attack they are able to defend and because they could prepare their decks for Lilith (Amber could keep a few Rusted Longswords in deck for example).

Grimoire: I figured the fact that you could never use the card again (without the Scepter) balanced it. I could potentially throw a 'allies of cost 2 (3 even) or higher' clause into it to avoid killing Fire Snakes for cards.

Weakened Will: Yeah, it's more of an 'extra flavour' card. I found a lot of situational cards in the other class cards in CotC so I wanted to keep the Warlock consistant with a couple of it's own for balance sake.

Burning Soul: I designed this card with a Evil Ascendant Mill-Kraven in mind who focuses on dropping the allies all the while being slowly healed and slowly sapping the enemy hero. It's supposed to be a card which when mixed with all the other ping heals makes for a really frustrating deck (like Lone Wolf decks).

Lesser Imp: Agreed, it's too strong - I didn't think about all those contexts. I wanted to make a buffed 1cc card like that 2cc Pack Wolf. I'll mess around with it a bit... Okay, I've made it's ability significantly less useful by making it only work on items and support abilities of 2cc or less. Basically it's anti Tome of Knowledge, Bazaar, Grimoire of Unmaking, and maybe the odd Bloodstone Altar.

Ritual of Summoning: Yeah, generally it's a card you build your deck around so all your allies are demons and it's just in the rare situation it can be used by an enemy Shadow opponent.

Thanks! I definitely will keep it up, I'm art hunting atm.
    Last edited by Flynn; 01-13-2013 at 05:49 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I like your art choice

I like the cards too. I didn't read them all though. You surely have some background in TCGs?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I was thinking about lesser imp a little bit more, and wondered if its 2 toughness balanced out its strong ability. It is very fragile, and chances are it will fall to an attack, ability or damage spell long before you can milk its ability for all it is worth. Thus, I think it may actually be okay in that sense.

I also preface my statements by saying that I am still pretty much a newbie at this game (though I did have a few years of M:TG experience under my belt), and quite a few of my comments will be first-impressions with no empirical evidence to back it up.

Anyways...

Infernal mountainling - seems more or less in line with molten destroyer, power-wise.

Vengeful mutation - seems quite a pretty useful card, though it still cannot beat puwen, brutalis or dark flayer, and will fall to thaddeus the next round. You will likely want to save this in your hand to 'focus fire' to take down a tougher foe. The ability seems worded a tad awkward - do you mean it reduces the cost of a card in your hand?

Spirit of foresight - irritating card. Likely won't live long either, but good for that 1-2 rounds of intel, I suppose.

Succubus - Not sure what to make of this at the moment.

Bloodthirsty familiar - a seemingly harmless ally that has the potential to become alarmingly strong very quickly. Might be strong in tandem with abilities that boost its power, like king's pride or elementalis, I guess.

Felgate guardian - Weaker than aeon, maybe reduce the cost to 5?

Scepter of attunement - it's been a long day and I am tired, but I don't quite understand how this card is supposed to work again, namely the "all other cards in play with this effect are removed..."?

Demonskin - When exactly is the creature removed? Before or after it deals damage? Can be game-breaking against decks that do not pack shriek or smashing blow or weapons of their own, just like how spelleater bands can potentially shut down mages. Not sure I like this card.

Summary - your creations are very intriguing. I find it very hard to gauge their usefulness (and my comments probably reflect that much from their brevity) because they are not as straightforward like current SE cards. Your cards have the potential to be very strong, or outright useless depending on when and how they are used. A few also seem specially geared to counter specific decks.

All I can say again is, you definitely have a flair and talent for this!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by abazigal View Post
    I was thinking about lesser imp a little bit more, and wondered if its 2 toughness balanced out its strong ability. It is very fragile, and chances are it will fall to an attack, ability or damage spell long before you can milk its ability for all it is worth. Thus, I think it may actually be okay in that sense.

I also preface my statements by saying that I am still pretty much a newbie at this game (though I did have a few years of M:TG experience under my belt), and quite a few of my comments will be first-impressions with no empirical evidence to back it up.

Anyways...

Infernal mountainling - seems more or less in line with molten destroyer, power-wise.

Vengeful mutation - seems quite a pretty useful card, though it still cannot beat puwen, brutalis or dark flayer, and will fall to thaddeus the next round. You will likely want to save this in your hand to 'focus fire' to take down a tougher foe. The ability seems worded a tad awkward - do you mean it reduces the cost of a card in your hand?

Spirit of foresight - irritating card. Likely won't live long either, but good for that 1-2 rounds of intel, I suppose.

Succubus - Not sure what to make of this at the moment.

Bloodthirsty familiar - a seemingly harmless ally that has the potential to become alarmingly strong very quickly. Might be strong in tandem with abilities that boost its power, like king's pride or elementalis, I guess.

Felgate guardian - Weaker than aeon, maybe reduce the cost to 5?

Scepter of attunement - it's been a long day and I am tired, but I don't quite understand how this card is supposed to work again, namely the "all other cards in play with this effect are removed..."?

Demonskin - When exactly is the creature removed? Before or after it deals damage? Can be game-breaking against decks that do not pack shriek or smashing blow or weapons of their own, just like how spelleater bands can potentially shut down mages. Not sure I like this card.

Summary - your creations are very intriguing. I find it very hard to gauge their usefulness (and my comments probably reflect that much from their brevity) because they are not as straightforward like current SE cards. Your cards have the potential to be very strong, or outright useless depending on when and how they are used. A few also seem specially geared to counter specific decks.

All I can say again is, you definitely have a flair and talent for this!

Thanks again! Very helpful assessment.

Vengeful Mutation: It's ability will decrease the in-play cost of a card making it fall within reach of cards like Now You're Mine, Shriek or Kraven's Ability.

Scepter of Attunment: If a card normally would have left the game it's instead shuffled into the owner's deck. Strong but also weak considering everything leaves the game with Grimoire of Unmaking meaning you'll get a fat deck of random cards if you don't play right.

Demonskin: It's before combat takes place (like Molten Destroyer's ablaze passive ability). The thing is, people will NEED to prepare for this by having ways of doing ping damage without allies or carrying cards to remove it like Shriek or Artful Squire. Perhaps I should make it 1 durability? But then weapon decks will wreck the card before it's useful. Hmm, I could put a shadow energy cost to remove the card perhaps?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I like nearly every single card of yours more than the spoilers for Prophecies! Keep it up and try to get in the design team asap!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by self1sch View Post
    I like nearly every single card of yours more than the spoilers for Prophecies! Keep it up and try to get in the design team asap!
    Haha thanks! I'd love to