Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Curious about where I stand competitively with my rating

been playing for almost 6 months and would like to know where I sorta stand in comparison to tourney players and what to shoot for if playing competitive is my goal.

I've dicked around with almost all heroes and jumped up and down in rankings never quite reaching 300, but never dipping below 250 since reaching it. If I had been concerned w my rankings and not played around with some silly builds I think I'd probably be sitting at around 280-290 with just the records of my Majiya, Amber, and Serena, but I've played with every hero regardless of how my ratings trended. I'm sure ratings aren't always equivalent to success but I have no idea what is considered to be good or even what the max is. I'm guessing 300 is pretty good form reading the titles of forum posts and rarely do I see anyone listed in QM over 300, with the majority usually being under 200.

So lets say I am a consistent 275, (was at this exact number like 2 days ago). Am I playing anyone like I'd see in a tournament or would I just be destroyed? Either way I know I've got a lot of practice ahead of me but I'd like an idea of what is good and what is elite.

thanks
    IGN: Dashbdash2

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I would say anywhere above 250 is considered decent for a person who plays alot of QMs.
    Psalm 91:7 A thousand may fall at your side, ten thousand at your right hand, but it will not come near you.

Zhou - Servant of the Eternal Saviour
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn.

IGN | BP Zhou | Information on my Guild | Group | SE Players of Malaysia | Tournaments | BP Popup #37

BP Hispanic | Link a la rama hispana de BP
    SE Achievements | Full List
    Articles/Guides | FAQs for New Players and Forum Goers

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Apparently, the maximum possible rating is 500, but no one is ever actually anywhere near that, usually the top players are in the upper to mid-300s, and the top 100 list only rarely contains any players below 300. Like Zhou said though, 250 is a pretty decent rating.
    "IT'S TIME TO DUEL!!!"
    "The Magnificent."
    Account for any future SC transfers by Gondorian: BP tman507

Member of PFG3
    Master of Hand-to-hand Combat
    Greatness, Reborn

Official Shadow Era Wiki Moderator

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Yeah alot of top notch players are rated between 250 and mid 300's. I was just wondering how this rating system works. I only played 2 games and won both. (100% win ration all the way!) and I'm rated 126. It just seemed too easy and doesn't feel right to jump that much in 2 games. I guess the higher your rating gets the less rating you earn per win?
    Last edited by Dakaest; 12-29-2012 at 04:41 AM.
    IGN: TJ DakaestX

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    The rating system has a uncertainty system in place. If you just started playing, the uncertainty is high, hence if you win at the start, your gain is ratings is much higher...but as you play more games, then uncertainty gets lower, i.e. the gain in rating is more consistent and slower. This is to prevent from people just spamming the game and gain tons of rating...

To further explain the uncertainty system, I think we need one of the experts here...haha.
    Psalm 91:7 A thousand may fall at your side, ten thousand at your right hand, but it will not come near you.

Greatness, Reborn.

IGN | BP Zhou | Information on my Guild | Group | SE Players of Malaysia | Tournaments | BP Popup #37

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    So then 250+ would be considered a good rating. Personally I try and shoot for winning about 2/3 games I play.
    Kicker of puppies, slasher of babies, and primordial Elder Lich.

Europe Regional (Winter 2012) Champion jacqui's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    At 275 you'd likely be able to win some rounds and get some upsets, but you'd be a longshot at winning any major tournaments. Strong tournament players can easily achieve a 300+ rating in QM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by jacqui View Post
    At 275 you'd likely be able to win some rounds and get some upsets, but you'd be a longshot at winning any major tournaments. Strong tournament players can easily achieve a 300+ rating in QM.
    +1

Greatness, Reborn.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhou86 View Post
    The rating system has a uncertainty system in place. If you just started playing, the uncertainty is high, hence if you win at the start, your gain is ratings is much higher...but as you play more games, then uncertainty gets lower, i.e. the gain in rating is more consistent and slower. This is to prevent from people just spamming the game and gain tons of rating...

To further explain the uncertainty system, I think we need one of the experts here...haha.
    Thanks for the explanation! I was kinda confused at first because if it was that easy to gain rating then in 4 wins I'd be at around 240 but I knew That wasn't right.
    IGN: TJ DakaestX

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thanks for the quick replies. It's basically what I figured. 300 seems like its just outta my reach. Every time I flirt with it I seem to hit a wall and switch up heroes or play style which keeps it fun but doesn't bode well for my ranking. I usually start getting serious again when I see it about to hit 250. I think my biggest problem, especially with my portal majiya, is card sacking. I know exactly what I wanna do but rarely do I ever have a card that I feel I can do without, and often i end up saccing cards early that i am hoping to draw later. I'm learning to be a little more patient but its so easy to sac a card because you have 3 more and then have bad luck. I just won a tough one vs. a 300+ Lance where I had a tough draw but eventually wore him down. I think my next deck is gonna be a zhanna w ghost maker just because it looks so challenging to pull off.