Close

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Atomzed View Post
    I actually love the art of ST!, because it's so manga like, and it's fit into the flavor of the card.
    But not the usually menacing Rogue aesthetic. Nor does the name fit.

I agree with tman that pastels are also out of place. After all, the game is Shadow Era.

I'm not a committed player, and like the OP I very realistically might stop playing if many cards like Thoughtful are released.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Aegis N View Post
    But not the usually menacing Rogue aesthetic. Nor does the name fit.
    My opinion of Rogue (as a class) is that they need not always be menacing. They can be skillful and witty too, much like Regis the Halfling in Icewinddale trilogy.

If you look at the picture it shows a young child who just stole a pouch, and running away from the unfortunate victim. The victim is seen in the background, crying "Stop thief!". But ultimately it is futile, because the stolen item is already in the thief hands, or rather in the resource pile. I think the name fits perfectly.

As Tman said, art is subjective. I just want good quality art. It can be tongue-in-cheek (like thoughtful investment, which I found humorous as it refers to the fairy tale), or it can be more epic like Furrion Terror...
    A1's Mustard-Seed Knight of Hope (IGN:A1 atomzed)
    Also a member of PFG1 and PFG2
    Rank #7 in Inaugural Meltdown Tourney
    Singapore Rep for Street Fighter Tournament

"Rapid analysis, accurate judgement, and superb powers of concentration...That is all we need." - Lezard Valeth

Proud member of A1 - Evolution in Theory
    Project Omega - Card Analysis and Strategy Guide

My Articles
    Deck size and Probability - A case for (slightly) bigger deck
    Meltdown Tier and Payout Analysis

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by tman507 View Post
    In response to Gondorian's asking what specifically about certain artworks we don't like (I for one am okay with most of the artworks in the expansion fyi), in addition to "cartoony styles" like seen in Thoughtful Investment, one thing I kind of don't like is the rather light and pastel like colors used in some artworks. For example Rolling Boulders. The actual picture is fine IMO, but the colors are so light. For a card that depicts rocks falling, the colors should be darker, more heavy and solid looking, cause they are, after all, rocks.
    IMHO, the art style of SE is generally dark and thus the brighter / lighter cards are somewhat odd.
    Feel free to transfer SC to account TJ Jazz or PM a Redeem code to me!
    http://www.shadowera.com/?r=2386460

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    from my own standpoint, the art is not yet defined. yes, there are dark cards - but the artwork was all over the place in the first set that no one style should be the defining factor.

generally, it's the shading/filling technique that's getting me. something about how trias digital uniquely colors their art just feels off. it's not the colors themselves, but you can tell what art is a trias digital just by the styling.

but you can't really fix how someone/some people draw and i know that. the BIG issue for me is using things in a story that don't belong. it's the reason why lone wolf and investments piss me off so much. ipads and the story of "jack and the beanstalk" shouldn't exist in this universe. why are they there?
    85-Card mini-set: Gate of the Steelbound.

So you want to take a poll? ∙ Affectionate TVTransvestite TwinRacist CowBag of Dicks

The pen is mightier than the sword, but actions speak louder than words.
    Knowledge is Power, Power Corrupts.
    Sometimes a little chaos is in order.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Ekoz View Post
    . it's the reason why lone wolf and investments piss me off so much. ipads and the story of "jack and the beanstalk" shouldn't exist in this universe. why are they there?
    I guess they are supposed to be visual jokes. I kinda like Lone Wolf but am quite annoyed by Thoughtful Investment.

An ironic nightmare for me would be to open a booster pack, only to find a foil of a card I detest. In the CotC set, pretty much worst would be something boring and useless like Urgent Business. Don't want no Dead End job!

I'm pretty sure I'd hate a Thoughtful Investment foil.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Mew Two View Post
    Well, I'm happy as long as they don't put in more card art like bloodlust... I'm not a prude, it just looks unprofessional to have to market that way. The card art I've seen so far from the new set looks pretty good to me. It's clearly in a different style though. I'd rather they didn't spend time fixing card art though, I'd rather they just keep working on balancing the new cards.
    I've also long felt that the art for Bloodlust was taking the already overdone but essentially harmless theme of sexually provocative artwork to the point of embarrassing and seemingly deviant. I don't want someone glancing over at the game I'm playing to see a picture of a naked, bloody pale woman. It is just creepy.

As for art consistency, it is to be expected that these types of games will require many artists and some will have noticeably different styles. The majority of the art looks like art that takes itself fairly seriously and a little bit of art on the side with a more lighthearted tone is fine too.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Expected Value View Post
    I've also long felt that the art for Bloodlust was taking the already overdone but essentially harmless theme of sexually provocative artwork to the point of embarrassing and seemingly deviant. I don't want someone glancing over at the game I'm playing to see a picture of a naked, bloody pale woman. It is just creepy.
    That's just until the end of the turn so it wouldn't take too long.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    My 2 cents:

As a fantasy artist myself, I admit the art was one of the things that attracted me to SE when I saw it as an iPad app way back in... I guess that was back in mid 2011. I loved the digital paintings done for Aeon, Jasmine, Nishaven, and so many others. That being said, there were plenty of cards that had art I did not like at all, but once I get into the game the art became less important. I still love seeing new cards with great art, especially when the art helps sell the idea of the card. I'm sure that is, after all, what every artist out there strives to do.

I think the new set is already showing wonderful art. Of the 8-10 cards I've seen so far, I know I have been really pleased with just about all of them. It's unrealistic to expect every card to be fantastic, as that is just the nature of art. Look at Magic, for instance. Despite what some say about SE having the best art of any physical or digital card game, my opinion is that MTG still has the best art of any game out there. You find a great variety of styles, done by some of the best fantasy artists on the planet. Regardless, in every set of MTG that comes out you still find cards with art that is subpar or average at best. Same for WOW TCG, and other games I've seen like Poxnora and Duel of Champions.

As far as the dark theme arguement, I can see what you mean. As others have said, however, I don't think that means every card is supposed to be dark in it's individual intent or art. Gotta have light to balance, at least to some degree.

SE is one of the few games on any platform I have continued to play week after week for the last year and a half, and I for one am confident that the artwork will continue to get better and better overall. One day you may even see my work on one of these cards

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Unruler View Post
    That's just until the end of the turn so it wouldn't take too long.
    Except when you're playing vs someone who have Bloodlust as sleeves, like me, haha, i like the art, i'm not wishing to see more cards like it, but this one is nice, people who feel this card is somewhat wrong are wrong themselve, open your eyes, there's more serious things in the world which are disturbing than one card in a TCG...
    "Rastas don't believe in violence... Rastas don't believe... Rastas know." -Bob Marley-

Winner of the Multi-Post Streak Challenge
    *’”⁷ᵔᵕᵔ∞*°゜゚⁰ᵒ☉●•⋆.ᵢᵢᵢ₇.。・°'¨⋋ⓚⓔⓝⓣⓤⓔⓠⓤⓘ⋌¨'°・。.₇₇₇.⋆•●☉ᵒ⁰゜゚°*∞ᵔᵕᵔ⁷‘“*
    ⊰☠ ℑcℯ ℰℒℱ ☠⊱

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Birgitte Skullborn, Zoe Silversmith, Molten Destroyer, Valiant Defender, Warrior Training, Flaming Arrow, Ill-Gotten Gains, Acid Jet, Shadow Font, Drain Power, Master Smith, Melt Down, Black Garb, Plate Armor, Twice Enchanted Robe, Dimension Ripper, Berserker's Edge, Soul Seeker, Wizent's Staff. That's my list of subpar artwork from Call of the Crystals, 19/200 or 9.5%.

For Dark Prophecies it is 14/150 or 9.3%, and still some chance to replace the bad ones. Personally I like both Lone Wolf and Thoughtful Investment, there's always room for one or two cards with a sense of humor!

The thing about art is that one person's favorite artwork will be another person's most hated one. This happens frequently when the producer and I are reviewing artwork and we never agree on anything