Close

Americas Regional (Winter 2012) 3rd Place
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

American Regionals 3rd palce - Hero + deck discussion - Zaladar Feedbomb

Hi,

I decided to write a post about my hero and deck choices for American Regionals.

First, a little background on myself. I am new to SE (started in Sept/Oct of this year), but I have been playing MTG for a long time (including high level tournaments). Regionals was my second SE tournament. Before it, the only tournament I played in was Tournament for players NEW to tournaments. Btw, I very highly recommend T4PN2T tournaments to new players, I think it’s an amazing way to getting started with SE tournaments.

So, I was very inexperienced with SE tournaments, but from MTG tournaments I knew that for big tourneys I want to play a deck that I played a lot and am very comfortable with. Going with a brand new deck would yield worse results even if it was a better deck just because I would make more mistakes. At that point, I only played with 3 decks: Feedbomb, Mejira burn (no portal), and Amber. I decided to play a bunch of games with these deck in QM. If they all did bad, I would search for a new deck, otherwise, I would pick one that did best. My rating at that time was around 330 so I assumed QMs would be a good representation of decks I would run into at regionals (I didn’t have any other choice to playtest anyway).

After about 100 games, the results were: Zaladar 25-10-1, Mejira 26-10, Amber 17-10. I stopped playing Amber after 27 games because I noticed that I tend to lose whenever my opponent has severs. Since regionals was a SB tournament, I assumed most people would have severs and weapon destruction in their SB and I didn’t want to play a deck that was a big underdog post SB (2 out of 3 are played with SB!). I was very happy with both Mejira and Feedbomb results. 72% game win means about 81% chance to win 2 out of 3 match. I finally choose Feedbomb over Mejira just because it was a lot more fun to play 

The feedbomb deck had several other advantages. It looks like a normal Zaladar deck, so people often don’t suspect ER or SR. Even when they know its feedbomb, they often don’t play and SB correctly because it’s not a popular deck and they don’t have much practice against it. Also, there aren’t many good SB cards against Feedbomb, while I have very good SB options.

I continued playing Feedbomb in QMs, trying out different cards and recording results. Here are the final results:
    Zaladar WIN LOSS DRAW PER TOTAL
    Boris 5 2 71.43% 7
    Amber 11 18 37.93% 29
    Ter Adin 1 0 100.00% 1
    Logan 0 0 #DIV/0! 0
    Eldrawen 28 17 2 62.22% 47
    Nishaven 2 1 66.67% 3
    Mejiya 22 7 2 75.86% 31
    Graveborn 2 0 100.00% 2
    Victor 0 1 0.00% 1
    Gwen 2 7 22.22% 9
    Banebow 1 3 25.00% 4
    Baladru 0 0 #DIV/0! 0
    Zhanna 3 2 60.00% 5
    Jericho 2 0 100.00% 2
    Lance 15 5 75.00% 20
    Serena 3 2 60.00% 5
    Zaladar 13 7 65.00% 20
    Elementalist 0 1 0.00% 1
    Monstalker 12 1 92.31% 13
    Darkclaw 1 1 50.00% 2
    TOTAL 123 75 4 62.12% 202

Zaladar.jpg Views: 40 Size: 80.3 KB">Zaladar.jpg

I was very happy with these numbers since I was a favorite in 5 out 6 most popular decks. Amber was a problem, but I was hoping that people would avoid it for the same reason as I did. I also had 3 severs and a shriek in SB which would help (with so much card draw and ER, I could cast each one multiple times).

The most important thing is that I learned how to play every matchup. It is very important to know when you can’t cast you bazaars or when to save ER/LLN/Feedbacks etc. Millstaker and Lance are pretty much autowins once I learned to play the matchup. Zaladar is very good if they don’t have SR, but it’s a little luck dependant on DR draws. Still SR/Feedback/ER give me an edge. Mejira is very good unless your SR is in the bottom 6-8 cards. Eldrawen gets a little tougher the more aggressive they get (I can’t beat a kirs/puwen/aldon draw), but feedbomb is still favorite. Amber is really bad since their weapon gives them damage and extra resources and I can’t get rid of it. Rampage/Enrage buys them extra time. I just had to hope my SB holds up games 2 and 3.
    Overall, I was happy with my deck choice before and after the tournament.

I will make another post with my card choices for the Feedbomb deck.

Edit: Ok, Screenshot seems to work. Thanks for the advice!
    Last edited by diablo5536; 12-15-2012 at 08:47 PM.

Americas Regional (Winter 2012) 3rd Place
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Reserved for card choices

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by diablo5536 View Post
    Anyone know how to properly paste an excel table into a post?
    I can only suggest taking a screen-shot of the tables at this point!
    Feel free to transfer SC to account TJ Jazz or PM a Redeem code to me!
    http://www.shadowera.com/?r=2386460

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz View Post
    I can only suggest taking a screen-shot of the tables at this point!
    or an external link to google docs

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I'm courius to know this inusually tipe of zaladar'deck