Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    Member Zyruel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    94
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0

    Optimal Boris Deck

    Here is my Boris deck.

    x1 Boris Skullcrusher

    Allies
    x4 Jasmine Rosecult
    x3 Kristoffer Wylde
    x4 Puwen Bloodhelm
    x2 Kurt Whitehlem
    x2 Raven Wildheart
    x3 Aldon the Brave
    x1 Aeon Stormcaller

    Abilities
    x2 War Banner
    x4 Smashing Blow
    x3 Crippling Blow
    x2 Rampage
    x3 Blood Frenzy
    x2 Retreat

    Weapons/Armor
    x2 The King's Pride
    x2 Berserker's Edge

    I've been using this deck from rank 100 to 200(currently 203), and have been improving it along the way.

    Even though this deck works very well for me(only 3 losses to date) I'd like to make it even better. I have two thoughts on it but was wondering what others might think.

    My first idea is to remove -2 Berserker's Edge and add +1 Aeon +1 Retreat. The Berserker's Edge is nice but not essential, I like to use it to either have Boris take a hit instead of an ally(ex/ taking out enemy weapons with little ally sacrifice or chopping some health off an opposing ally that I just can't take down with only one of my own), or just to add some extra damage. However I usually resource it early game anyways if I get it, sometimes I resource both if I don't really need it. As for Aeon and Retreat, I think those are both solid cards and little argument needs to be made to adding them.

    My other thought was on Rampage vs Enrage. I already posted a thread in Card Discussion if anyone cares to comment. But basically I am thinking of switching out x2 Rampage for x2 Enrage.

    Any critique would be welcome.
    Proud Member of AA1

    "I am neither foe nor friend to my brothers, but such as each of them shall deserve of me." -Ayn Rand

  2. #2
    Member Trueskill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    50
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    Enrage x 1 will be good one.

    And I think Aeon x 2 is better than 1.

    Welcome to the forum!
    Member of AA1

  3. #3
    Senior Member Zhou86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Malaysia (GMT+8)
    Posts
    6,304
    Tournaments Joined
    2
    Tournaments Won
    0
    I would reduce smashing blow to 3 and increase crippling blow to 4.
    Would prefer Jeweller's Dream x 4 to BE, as the extra 2 resources syncs well with other cards. (Retreat, Crippling Blow, Jasmine's Ability)

    Enrage x 1 and Rampage x 1 would be sufficient.

    Welcome to the forums.
    Psalm 91:7 A thousand may fall at your side, ten thousand at your right hand, but it will not come near you.

    Zhou - Servant of the Eternal Saviour
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn.

    IGN | BP Zhou | Information on my Guild | Group | SE Players of Malaysia | Tournaments | BP Popup #37

    BP Hispanic | Link a la rama hispana de BP
    SE Achievements | Full List
    Articles/Guides | FAQs for New Players and Forum Goers

  4. #4
    Junior Member Edheren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    22
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    Zhou86
    I would reduce smashing blow to 3 and increase crippling blow to 4.
    Would prefer Jeweller's Dream x 4 to BE, as the extra 2 resources syncs well with other cards. (Retreat, Crippling Blow, Jasmine's Ability)

    Enrage x 1 and Rampage x 1 would be sufficient.

    Welcome to the forums.
    What he said ^

    I have been playing a Boris deck for a while now, and been tweaking the hell out of it. I have a berserker version that is based on Berserker's Edge. But I think that maybe your deck would not benefit from it, at least, not the way you have it set now. and if you are saying that it's something you are constantly resourcing, then it sounds like it shouldn't be in the deck anyway. I would go with Jeweler's Dream too. at least 3, probably 4. I'd also say Rampage probably isn't a necessity, and you could stand to do without it. Also agree that 1 Aeon is not enough. 2 is much better. on top of that, I think Kurt could be exchanged for something more useful, perhaps two Tainted Oracle to help you with a little card draw, or maybe bump Raven up to 4. Also, you might want to consider a couple more fatties. you seem to be running a lot of low cc allies. Might consider Sandworm, or something.

    also, less Smashing Blow, and more Retreat! I would also consider bringing both Blood Frenzy and Crippling Blow up to 4. and I do agree that 1 enrage is enough.

    but thats just me. good luck with everything! and yeah, welcome!
    x Einherjar x

    "The two worst strategic mistakes to make are acting prematurely and letting an opportunity slip; to avoid this, the warrior treats each situation as if it were unique and never resorts to formulae, recipes or other people's opinions." -Paulo Coelho

  5. #5
    Member Zyruel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    94
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    Figured I'd post my updated deck as it has been doing awesome. And thanks to everyone who posted I took your comments into consideration when revising it.

    Boris Skullcrusher

    Allies
    x4 Jasmine Rosecult
    x3 Kristoffer Wyld
    x4 Puwen Bloodhelm
    x3 Raven Wildheart
    x3 Aldon the Brave
    x2 Aeon Stormcaller

    Abilities
    x2 War Banner
    x4 Smashing Blow
    x1 Enrage
    x3 Crippling Blow
    x3 Blood Frenzy
    x3 Retreat

    Weapons/Armor
    x2 The King's Pride
    x2 Jeweler's Dream
    Proud Member of AA1

    "I am neither foe nor friend to my brothers, but such as each of them shall deserve of me." -Ayn Rand

  6. #6
    DP Visionary Preybird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    9,046
    Tournaments Joined
    1
    Tournaments Won
    0
    You only have 3 Blood Frenzy and no supplemental draw.

    -2 Smashing Blow

    +1 Blood Frenzy
    +1 Crippling Blow

    You need two more draw options, most likely Tainted Oracle. My first thought is to ditch the Kris, I've always found him more at home in an Amber deck. However he has great synergy with the Kings Pride. Another alternative is to drop 1 Raven plus the Crippling Blow I suggested you add earlier, and put 2 TO.
    Extra Tough Claws - Proud Member of ETC

    Articles | Decklist | Fan Fiction

    Shadow Era Art Thread | PB @ DeviantArt

    PFG Member | I've been interviewed!

  7. #7
    Member Zyruel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    94
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    @Preybird
    I'll give you my reasoning for setting up my deck the way I did, maybe it'll change your mind.

    1. Concerning the amount of card draw in my deck I won't argue. However rare is the time where I don't get Blood Frenzy by the time I need it(I only remember 1-2 time(s) to date). And regardless of when I get Blood Frenzy depending on what cards I get I can usually at least stall long enough that it is not an issue. The last comment I will make concerning this is that you also have to consider how many matches you will play that the opponent will use Bad Santa and/or Bazaar(I know it will change and I will alter if I need to but approximately 3-4/10 at low 200's) even though you can't be sure, once you get an idea on how many times they might be played you can plan accordingly. So while this is good advice I don't personally think it's necessary.

    2. In regard to Crippling and Smashing Blow. First off Crippling Blow isn't so good that I would want 4, while it does help when you don't have board control once this deck gets rolling(which doesn't take long, and if it does that means either your screwed or your opponent is stalling in which case they most likely aren't in any better position than you are) you really won't need it. I love Smashing Blow, in a deck that relies almost entirely on allies for damage weapons and armor can be a huge impediment. You could argue that not every deck you will face uses weapons/armor. In this case you can sacrifice Smashing Blow instead of something else(since you should sacrifice according to your opponent, planning for whats more of a danger is better than generalizing).

    3.Last is Kristoffer. This is an awesome card, very versatile. It's nice to be able to play a card on T1 plus Kris allows you to take out opposing allies with low health that were played before you have any other allies on the board. Or if you need to take out weapons/armor and don't have a Smashing Blow, Kris can take a hit for little cost to you(one good move with Kris that I like is hitting Black Garb, since he gets around the effect). And like you said he works well with The King's Pride, War Banner as well(he can even become a danger once you have both).

    If you see this tell me what you think, I'd also like to hear any counter argument you might come up with.
    Last edited by Zyruel; 12-04-2012 at 04:34 AM. Reason: Mistype
    Proud Member of AA1

    "I am neither foe nor friend to my brothers, but such as each of them shall deserve of me." -Ayn Rand

  8. #8
    Europe Regional (Winter 2012) Champion jacqui's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,660
    Tournaments Joined
    2
    Tournaments Won
    0
    4 blood frenzy is pretty much not optional.

    kris is good. Not mandatory but good.

    smashing blow is almost necessary. almost as in, if certain decks use an armor and you dont have sb you will lose. But it's not always the case that you need it. 3 is usually sufficient. You can get by with 2. 4 is usually overkill.

    For that deck you posted.... I would do as preybird suggests, as well as change the JD to santa. Otherwise, find 2 more spots where you can fit santa in. Then it's pretty good.

  9. #9
    DP Visionary Preybird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    9,046
    Tournaments Joined
    1
    Tournaments Won
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyruel View Post
    1. Concerning the amount of card draw in my deck I won't argue. However rare is the time where I don't get Blood Frenzy by the time I need it(I only remember 1-2 time(s) to date). And regardless of when I get Blood Frenzy depending on what cards I get I can usually at least stall long enough that it is not an issue. The last comment I will make concerning this is that you also have to consider how many matches you will play that the opponent will use Bad Santa and/or Bazaar(I know it will change and I will alter if I need to but approximately 3-4/10 at low 200's) even though you can't be sure, once you get an idea on how many times they might be played you can plan accordingly. So while this is good advice I don't personally think it's necessary.
    Well, the chance of you getting any Blood Frenzy if you run 3 in your opening hand is 37%, and getting one by turn 3 is 46%. The reason the suggestion for 6 total draw cards (4 Blood Frenzy + 2 other) is so that the probability of you getting your draw going when you need it is > 50%. (In fact with 6 draw cards the percentage jumps to 72.7% by Turn 3). What I'm suggesting is not just a personal opinion, it's a widely accepted fact in Shadow Era that you need at least 6 draw cards to maintain an acceptable level of consistency. You could rely on your opponent playing Bazaar or Bad Santa, but that adds more inconsistency to an already shaky situation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyruel View Post
    2. In regard to Crippling and Smashing Blow. First off Crippling Blow isn't so good that I would want 4, while it does help when you don't have board control once this deck gets rolling(which doesn't take long, and if it does that means either your screwed or your opponent is stalling in which case they most likely aren't in any better position than you are) you really won't need it. I love Smashing Blow, in a deck that relies almost entirely on allies for damage weapons and armor can be a huge impediment. You could argue that not every deck you will face uses weapons/armor. In this case you can sacrifice Smashing Blow instead of something else(since you should sacrifice according to your opponent, planning for whats more of a danger is better than generalizing).
    The reason for more Crippling Blow over Smashing Blow is that there are only really half heroes that regularly use weapons/armour (Amber, Victor, Gwen, Lance, Serena, Logan, Banebow, Baduruu, Darkclaw. Sometimes Zaladar), ALL the heroes can and usually do use allies. So in suggesting more copies of Crippling Blow over Smashing Blow I am actually providing you with a better chance against all matchups. And as you say, if you're coming up against a solo hero, resource the CBs.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyruel View Post
    3.Last is Kristoffer. This is an awesome card, very versatile. It's nice to be able to play a card on T1 plus Kris allows you to take out opposing allies with low health that were played before you have any other allies on the board. Or if you need to take out weapons/armor and don't have a Smashing Blow, Kris can take a hit for little cost to you(one good move with Kris that I like is hitting Black Garb, since he gets around the effect). And like you said he works well with The King's Pride, War Banner as well(he can even become a danger once you have both).

    If you see this tell me what you think, I'd also like to hear any counter argument you might come up with.
    Kris is an awesome card, and he has great synergy with The King's Pride, War Banner and Aldon. But as good as he is, more draw is better. Alternatively if you don't like my suggestions (removing Kris was only ONE option I presented) you could follow Jacqui's suggestion and remove the Jeweler's Dreams, they are more of a luxury than a necessity in a Boris deck. (And Jacqui is far better versed in warriors than I am.)
    Last edited by Preybird; 12-04-2012 at 05:15 AM.
    Extra Tough Claws - Proud Member of ETC

    Articles | Decklist | Fan Fiction

    Shadow Era Art Thread | PB @ DeviantArt

    PFG Member | I've been interviewed!

  10. #10
    Senior Member wreon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    838
    Tournaments Joined
    3
    Tournaments Won
    0
    Honestly, you need 4x bf. I don't get why you're so obstinate about having 3x.

    More often than not, it is the warrior that reaches BF first that wins the game in a mirror match. It is considered the best, most consistent draw in the game, and most heroes would kill to have it in the deck. Stop toying with 3x if you want to have a consistent strong deck, or forever remain at the skimming 200 range.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •