Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Victor Trix Deck

Please excuse my brevity im typing this from my phone, and will add more later.

Been having a lot of fun playing victor, and I think Im at the point where i need some fresh input. Why victor? I think vic is good vs mages because of soul seeker, sandworm, etc. I think hes good vs zal for the same reason. I also think victor can control most any deck that uses allies as a foundation. And lastly, its unexpected and not everyone has experience playing vs a strong victor deck.

Victor is disruptive. So if im playing vs majiya, she may cast t4 portal not expecting me to play death trap, for example. My list tries to maximize synergy. With no solid draw option, victor has to gain card advantage and tempo through synergy.

1 victor

4 puwen
    4 potl
    2 aldon
    2 lily
    4 TO
    3 sandworm
    2 aeon

4 pa
    3 death trap
    3 retreat

2 bad santa
    2 lln
    4 ss

Total 40 cards.

Similar to cwhits famous(?) victor. Cwhit recommends 9 3cc allies. I have 9 3-drops, but 3 of them are death traps instead of allies. The reason is survivability is huge for victor, and most 3ccs wont cut it. A warrior can keep dropping 3cc allies even if they die bc they have a bangin draw engine. With limited draw you have to make your cards count. Also, if im holding 2 arrows and my opponent has no targets my turn may be wasted, whereas traps can always be laid down.

Survivability also means sandworm is better than raven, imo. The "win condition" is sandworm + aeon.

Synergies include:
    Lily + death trap (more traps so you dont get swarmed, even if lily dies you still cycled a trap, and may have freed a buried arrow from under trap)

Death trap + retreat (good for fatties)

Lily + retreat (more traps)

Arrow + ability + replay arrow

Retreat + potl

Conserve cards. If you can finish off an ally with puwen, save your arrow. Low draw means you have to get the most value out of your cards. The aim is to control early with allies, arrows and traps, get a sandworm down, and keep controlling the board while chipping away.

Dont focus on rushing or swarming the board. Instead figure out what you can set up to give you an advantage in later turns. For example if you already have a sandworm on board, play a TO or a trap rather than another fatty.

You make very efficient board control moves every time you can use your ability, so the problem is those in-between turns. Those are turns where you can play retreats and traps to stall until you can cycle an arrow to disable 2 allies.

Now the problems:

- solo decks. Millstalker, solo gwen and solo dc are hard bc they make a lot of your cards irrelevant.
    - zhanna? Havent faced one but seems like a loss. Vic cant do so much damage all at once, and allies arent really threatening to zhanna...
    -majiya? I had a problem with majiya before death trap. Unlike eladwen, maj is resilient to me healing bc she kinda does all her damage in 1-2 turns. (Portaled fatties, ton of burn). Elad kinda gives you a break when you can heal off weenies and before the burn). But maybe a surprise trap would be good there.)
    A1 1ndeed - The Black Lotus of A1 - A1: Evolution in Theory

And who are you, the proud lord said, that I must bow so low?
    Only a cat of a different coat, that's all the truth I know.
    In a coat of gold, or a coat of red, a lion still has claws;
    And mine are long and sharp, my lord, as long and sharp as yours.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    The trick to beating Zhanna is to not commit too heavily to the board. Play 1 to 2 3cc or less allies and leave it there. If she plays something small either kill it or ignore it, and play another ally yourself; if she plays something big (Sandworm/Aeon/Raven) either kill it or again play something larger yourself. She'll be less willing use Tidal Wave if she has allies in play. TO is also works quite well vs. Zhanna.

The sad part is that she'll almost always kill your SS and dealing with Wizents Staff can be difficult (at least until Artful Squire is introduced)

I like the deck btw
    Account for Gondorian to put SC into: Ronin Drizl

IGN: Ronin Drizl

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    The issue with zhanna is my allies are underwhelming. Its not like i can just keep one PB out and its a threat; i have sandworm, who does damage approximately at the rate that zhanna heals lol. And if it gets to late game im sure zhanna has more firepower. But again, this is actually all theory as i havent faced a good zhanna yet.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    You'd be surprised at how much damage a Puwen and PotL/Aldon can do. Don't forget you can also bring out a SS, not very often that she can FP and TW in the same turn.
    Account for Gondorian to put SC into: Ronin Drizl

IGN: Ronin Drizl

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I'm playing Victor in the WC regionals, and I'm finding the issue Vs Zhanna is that if you don't commit enough to the board, she will just commit more and once she get's the board, you will never get it back. If you commit too much to the board, she wipes and you lose tempo. Check out my games Vs MistaBoweh, and Fakekiki. In the QM ladder, I thought Zhanna was an even match up for Victor, Now I'm beginning to think it's one of the worst matchups possible for Victor when done correctly.
    Enlisted to Endure's "Bullet Stopper"

Human Hero

(1SE): Lose target tournament.

"This is so much fu.... Crap... I lost."

E-Mail______Twitter______YouTube

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by ToneMastaG View Post
    I'm playing Victor in the WC regionals, and I'm finding the issue Vs Zhanna is that if you don't commit enough to the board, she will just commit more and once she get's the board, you will never get it back. If you commit too much to the board, she wipes and you lose tempo. Check out my games Vs MistaBoweh, and Fakekiki. In the QM ladder, I thought Zhanna was an even match up for Victor, Now I'm beginning to think it's one of the worst matchups possible for Victor when done correctly.
    cool man. i watched one of your games so far. how is wotf working for you? i saw in your game vs fakekiki it got taken down pretty quick.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Vs Mages it's priceless, Vs Preists and Warriors, its both crucial and a decoy to draw fire from your SS. I'm not a Victor expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I have had some good results with him (and he's really fun lol) as soon as the regionals are done, I will post my deck too and we can compare notes
    Enlisted to Endure's "Bullet Stopper"

Human Hero

(1SE): Lose target tournament.

"This is so much fu.... Crap... I lost."

E-Mail______Twitter______YouTube

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Yea i agree its a good card vs mages. The mage matchup is actually one if my better ones though, just slam soul seekers and sandworms.

What ive noticed lately:

1) while vic would obviously benefit from a solid draw engine, i dont think he currently needs one to be effective. You just have to get the most value out of your cards. (Ex: opponent spends 3 cards to deal with sandworm...)

2) i want sandworm turn 5, and its a staple of this deck so 4 is a must imo

3) arrows are usually > traps. More versatile, lower cost, and they directly deal with the board right away. FA is also solid vs sandworms. I like traps in some situations tho, like after a portal, when lance has ability, after retreating a fatty, etc. but traps may be "too cute"

4) i may go for more 3ccs... Lily coming in at 4cc is no good.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Lol, sick of losing to triple nova, how do you feel about spell bands? With a sideboard you can rotate spell bands, crimson vest, and grave cloak for solo heros.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by 1ndeed View Post
    Lol, sick of losing to triple nova, how do you feel about spell bands? With a sideboard you can rotate spell bands, crimson vest, and grave cloak for solo heros.
    I would rotate bands and cloak, using the vest card slots for extra arrows, retreats, or allies, perhaps honored dead/oracle. Bands for the direct damage heros and cloak for solos. In the distant past, I had good success with cloak against mages and priest, turning their own cards against them. Cloak is excellent against solo and semi-solo decks though....
    IGN: E2E BallyWorld
    Common Hero: Victor, Serena, and Gwyn

Resident Sapper and Proud Member of E2E: Enlisted to Endure.

"For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found." Luke 15:24
    "This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus." Romans 3:22-24