Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So... mages >.<

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

So... mages >.<

So what is the deal with mages? They have insane spells, awesome weapons and armor, tome of knowledge... I am playing a stealth wolf build and every single mage absolutely destroys me. The only chance I ever have is to starve them of cards and hope they get bad starting cards. Every other class I do very well against. Here's the funny thing- even the npc mages (eladwyn specifically) destroy me... lol?

So... mages overpowered? Or is it just my class that they do very well against? Or just crappy set of cards? I admit it could be more tailored toward defeating mages, but not by much... I just looked at starting an eladwyn set, and nearly creamed my pants. Im like "why am I this wolf again?".

Fireballx4= 16
    Lightning strikex4= 12
    Arcane blastx4= 8
    Special deliveryx4= 12

Before supernova, 48 raw damage alone. My wolf gets to kill 4 >3 resource cards and disable 4. Hardly seems fair to me.

Supernova...
    Frost armor and weapon...
    Tome of knowledge...
    Tainted oracle...
    Freeze/webs disable...
    Awesome allies that are way better than dark side (other than the 5+ ones, which is debatable).
    I could go on... but wow.
    Even the dark side mages are awesome. Best multi-use skills in the game...

Please feel free to tell me im an idiot, and which class destroys mages because I am very curious. Starve mage=win, I know, but with so many things to get cards you need to be very lucky and quick in downing them (before they annihilate you).

Old topic- some very bad balancing, or idiot poster? Don't worry, u wont hurt my feelings. Just be constructive in calling me an idiot is all I ask

Thanks for reading.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Yes mages are very strong and easy to play. Moonstalker is naturally weak versus mages. If you want an easier time against mages play amber or Gwen. Other then that victor and Banebow do well.

Now that doesn't mean you can't win with moonstalker it's just abit harder. Try looking up wtzky's magestalker.

Or for if you want to stick with moonstalker and win more consistently versus mages try the dreaded millstalker. When played well its quite good but a bit weak against an elad rush.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Haha, this is not overpowering, its called bad matchup. Not all hero are strong against all other heroes. Its like a bogey hero...every hero has 1, either it will be a very hard match to play, or you would call it "auto-loss".

But in competitive play, its more somewhat balanced.

And welcome to the forums btw!
    Psalm 91:7 A thousand may fall at your side, ten thousand at your right hand, but it will not come near you.

Zhou - Servant of the Eternal Saviour
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn.

IGN | BP Zhou | Information on my Guild | Group | SE Players of Malaysia | Tournaments | BP Popup #37

BP Hispanic | Link a la rama hispana de BP
    SE Achievements | Full List
    Articles/Guides | FAQs for New Players and Forum Goers

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Mage players will deny you the benefit of calling it OP; non-mage players will agree to different degrees that SE in its current state is geared toward Mages.

No matter who says it, you're pretty much right. Since I started playing in early March, it was pretty easy to tell Human Mages are easily one of the ( if not THE ) most powerful decks in SE. Fireball being the biggest bang for your buck in the game, it's just undeniable. Throw in all the good-great Human Allies and you're set with board control, swarmability and, of course, spare burn cards. Can't leave out the awesome draw engine either.

Until the expansion hits, don't expect much else in QM. You'll have your random other decks, but the majority will be a Mage of one flavor or another. I also run an ally based Moonstalker and you're right. It's a tough matchup.

My advice: Pray their opening hand is horrible, hope yours is filled with low-cost allies with a few support cards. THEN hope you get that Plasma Behemoth on the field and sticks. Then pretty much hope they don't draw enough burn to wipe your board.

So, it's not really advice. More like, if you're religious, start praying and do it a lot when you're playing Quick Match. You and the man upstairs should be best buds until the expansion hits.
    ASF member.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    If you hate mages so much, just run Zaladar

Actually, I'm getting a good spread ATM, mages may make up 20-30% of my total QM. (Sure that's high considering, but it's not a majority)

Deadboss, Copastetic, have either of you considered Wrath of the Forest? It's great against mages, allows you to keep the pressure up with allies and draw until they run out of burn (and they will run out of burn).
    Extra Tough Claws - Proud Member of ETC

Articles | Decklist | Fan Fiction

Shadow Era Art Thread | PB @ DeviantArt

PFG Member | I've been interviewed!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    There will be better ways to deal with mages once the new expansion comes out. The expansion is 12-24 months away so I would take a break from the game for a while.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Another good card for moonstalker to consider is Jeweller's Dream, to swarm the board early stage, and then place the Wrath of the Forest, whenever your ally get killed you draw a card.

And yes, prayer is essential. Believe it or not, I always pray before I start my QMs, not really for wins, but for good fun games, clarity of thought and not to make silly mistakes.
    Psalm 91:7 A thousand may fall at your side, ten thousand at your right hand, but it will not come near you.

Zhou - Servant of the Eternal Saviour
    Greatness, Reborn.

IGN | BP Zhou | Information on my Guild | Group | SE Players of Malaysia | Tournaments | BP Popup #37

BP Hispanic | Link a la rama hispana de BP
    SE Achievements | Full List
    Articles/Guides | FAQs for New Players and Forum Goers

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Preybird View Post
    If you hate mages so much, just run Zaladar

Actually, I'm getting a good spread ATM, mages may make up 20-30% of my total QM. (Sure that's high considering, but it's not a majority)

Deadboss, Copastetic, have either of you considered Wrath of the Forest? It's great against mages, allows you to keep the pressure up with allies and draw until they run out of burn (and they will run out of burn).
    Yes, I run three Wrath of the Forest in my deck. Three because I always seem to chunk one to resources anyways mid-late game and, I run two/three copies of Sacrificial Lamb for those rare instances I need a handful of cards. And as was mentioned above me, I also run four copies of JD.

You're right, they do run out of burn cards. However, when they finally do, I'm out of allies. Shadow doesn't have any really good "tank" like cards such as Aeon or Sandworm. If you want to count Minotaur, you could. I don't though. That's from a Moonstalker POV.
    ASF member.

Europe Regional (Winter 2012) Champion jacqui's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Armoek View Post
    There will be better ways to deal with mages once the new expansion comes out. The expansion is 12-24 months away so I would take a break from the game for a while.
    How do you know?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Armoek View Post
    There surely be more cards to assist with Mages, just like there will surely be more ways for them to burn your face off.

12-24 months? Certainly not.
    I made pumpkins! Firesnake and Plasma Behemoth.
    I daydream about cards too.

My 1.5 Moonstalker deck.

Nizaris - The Characterless Character
    Greatness, Reborn

You can read about us OR join us!